• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage

jsolomon

I'm getting toward a place where I can actually stock my kitchen with proper items to not only cook with, but also store food with. I'm looking for suggestions and stories.

So, what do eGer's use to store/freeze/transport their food in? Care to share your ingenious finds?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One of the best for home use is the vacuum system, such as Foodsaver. The bags and the canisters are really sturdy. The downside is that if you don't have room to keep the vacuum appliance on your counter, you have to haul it out and set it up every time you use it, and then store it away when finished, of course. That's kind of a pain. But it's a very, very good system, and bags that haven't stored things like raw chicken, can be used again.

Other than that, it's Gladware (or some similar disposable product), or zip-loc bags.

I do use Tupperware's modular mates for storage of staples--flour, sugar, etc. They're sturdy and meant to stack, and they can get you organized in a (pretty expensive) short time. Most of them are large enough to dip a measuring cup in, and for me, that's mandatory. I hate spooning flour out of a narrow-necked canister and then dumping the excess back in. I think the company has a new product out similar to the modular mates, which were introduced in the 1980's, but I don't know anything about it. I just saw it in a catalog.

Don't miss your favorite restaurant supply shop for other possibilities.

Storage containers take up loads of space and do not get smaller as their contents go down. It means that your cupboards can be packed our with nearly empty containers. Even when they are empty they take up space.

I use re-sealable/zip-loc bags to store dry goods, cheeses, squidgy stuff etc...

I don't own any plastic containers any more.

I hope that this is helpful

I use Cambro containers as they are inexpensive, last for years and many have interchangeable lids. I probably have over a hundred. Here are just a few.

In the photo you can see a range of sizes from 1 quart to 22 quarts/20 +liters and just about every size in between.

I also have a few of the clear square acrilic Cambro containers for certain things, such as pickles and soaking mustard seeds so I can see how they look as they are "working".

I still have the first one I ever bought, probably now nearing 20 years old. gallery_17399_60_1105293657.jpg

I buy mine at Smart & Final, I have not found a better price anywhere.

You can see here what they cost. Compared to Tupperware they are dirt cheap!

Cambro round containers

The 1 quart size in on the previous page at the very bottom.

The square containers are more expensive.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Check out this article by Mamster on storage from the Daily Gullet Archives. Not only is it full of information, but it was included in the Best Food Writing anthology.

Large scale storage for bags of sugar and flour are plain plastic Tupperware.

Assorted sizes of canning jars, 1 quart down to 1/2 cup, all wide mouth. I use these for the freezer as well as the fridge. These are especially good for anything that may give up odors or acquire them: various fats like lard, pesto, roasted garlic. The pints are also my salad dressing tool. The sides of the jar have close enough measures, dump everything in and shake, shake, shake. I live alone and use a half pound of dried beans at a time. The pints store the other half pound quite nicely.

Zip Lock type baggies, freezer weight, for soups and stews. I squeeze the air out and freeze flat on a sheet pan. That makes for easier storage and quick thawing.

Disposable Zip Lock type containers. I refuse to pay for the other types. But I don't buy many of those anymore except for some of the shapes like the large rectangles. That is because:

My new love is deli containers from the restaurant supply. The lids seal really well and, interestingly enough, 32, 16 and 8 ounce containers have the same lid! These cost out at about 10 cents a container.

I think the key is that when I moved, I finally threw out or gave away all of the oddments that drove me nuts searching for the lid.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

All right, has anyone else fessed up to this yet? I save deli containers, cheese containers, jam jars, etc., scour 'em all out and give them another life. I can't help it! It's genetic! My mom must have a thousand of those little deli containers! :biggrin:

Seriously, those and Ziplocs are my answer to storage. But my dream kitchen has a bunch of hanging, tiered copper baskets for storing fruit and tomatoes.......

All right, has anyone else fessed up to this yet? I save deli containers, cheese containers, jam jars, etc., scour 'em all out and give them another life. I can't help it! It's genetic! My mom must have a thousand of those little deli containers!  :biggrin:

You mean there are people who don't save them?

I have collections of quart and pint plastic containers and lots of glass jars. I even save yogurt cups & covers because they're great for oil disposal.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I use Cambro containers as they are inexpensive, last for years and many have interchangeable lids.  I probably have over a hundred.  Here are just a few.

In the photo you can see a range of sizes from 1 quart to 22 quarts/20 +liters and just about every size in between.

I also have a few of the clear square acrilic Cambro containers for certain things, such as pickles and soaking mustard seeds so I can see how they look as they are "working".

I still have the first one I ever bought, probably now nearing 20 years old.  gallery_17399_60_1105293657.jpg

I buy mine at Smart & Final, I have not found a better price anywhere.

You can see here what they cost.  Compared to Tupperware they are dirt cheap!

Cambro round containers

The 1 quart size in on the previous page at the very bottom.

The square containers are more expensive.

I love these. I confess to having a pantry full of tupperware. But I love how these have the markings on them. Square would work better for me in terms of stacking ability. How are the seals on these? I wonder if you can get them in Canada?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Cambo tubs.

Huh? What are cambo tubs???

Cambro tubs, as andiesenji rightly points out they are spelled. We use them for dry storage, for food storage, and to transport stuff - they are almost indestructible also. They should be available at any restaurant supply place.

I confess to a recent absolute refusal to buy any more round containers - don't care how good or cheap they are! And I have given away or junked most that I had. Square, square square - they just use space more efficiently.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't care if it is round or square, I mainly just look for cheap, tupperware and the knockoffs are way too pricey at the grocery store.

I mainly use ziploc bags, they are gread in the frige, the freezer, whatever, and the gallon size is perfect for storing a full pot of leftovers.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I have to say I am a fan of the zip lock as well. But it makes me feel guilty as they end up getting tossed in the garbage after one use most of the time. I will wash them out and reuse if I didn't use them for meat, stock or something very strong smelling like onion or blue cheese. I have some tupperware type items I use for large leftovers (soup, chili and the like) that we are eating over the course of a couple days. And I save the plastic tubs that fresh mozzarella comes in and things like that for small items (and taking things to work for lunch).

A brief note about round vs. square containers. The round containers are stronger because of basic physics.

If you drop a sqare container, no matter how strong, and it is filled with something heavy or liquid, chances are it will land on a corner and crack.

I like square containers for the space-saving also, but with long experience I have learned the round ones are the best and they seal more tightly than the square ones.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Also, js, although you are young and new to this stuff, do as andie suggests, and pick up one or two containers as you are able. Tend them well--no lab experiments involving yeasts or things likely to explode, and they will outlast your first marriage (sorry).

off topic aside--the legis. is trying to get us a med. school. Bout time.

A brief note about round vs. square containers.  The round containers are stronger because of basic physics. 

If you drop a sqare container, no matter how strong, and it is filled with something heavy or liquid, chances are it will land on a corner and crack. 

I like square containers for the space-saving also, but with long experience I have learned the round ones are the best and they seal more tightly than the square ones.

I agree that there is a trade-off, but space in this tiny condo is at such a premium that it has to take priority over everything else. So square it is, and physics be damned. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use polycarbonate gastronorm size tubs, 1/9 and 1/6 sizes. Almost impossible to break, takes boiling or oily liquids without melting or staining (and minimal taste transfer), dishwasherable, microwavable, freezable, easy to clean, cheap. Get them from big restaurant supply places. Can be hard to find snap-on lids.

What I'm talking about (not recommending this as a source one way or the other, just using it for photo): http://www.restaurantequipment.com/CAMBROPANS.html

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I don't care if it is round or square, I mainly just look for cheap, tupperware and the knockoffs are way too pricey at the grocery store.

I mainly use ziploc bags, they are gread in the frige, the freezer, whatever, and the gallon size is perfect for storing a full pot of leftovers.

For small to moderate quantities that you want to keep in the fridge (i.e., leftovers), I find those cheap Ziploc/GladWare/... plastic containers work fine. (Store brands work just as well in this category. I just picked up a pack of four "Good Cook" containers at my local Acme for $2.49; they look like they are made of thicker plastic than standard disposables. The label said "Reusable containers at disposable prices!" but in my experience the "disposables" are plenty reusable too.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I have a collection of Rubbermaid containers in various sizes that I picked up at various 50% off sales. They're all a little elderly (none are younger than 3 years old), but they get used nearly nightly, which means they go through the dishwasher regularly, and just keep on going.

If you're buying containers, measure the spaces you're likely to keep them in (like the height of your refrigerator shelves) and don't get any that don't fit. I have one very nice tall square container that hardly ever gets used because it fits on exactly one shelf in the fridge, and that shelf is usually full.

We did use it to transport our now ex-goldfish from California to here when we moved, but that didn't require the fridge.

For new containers, I also tend towards the "disposables" because they go through the dishwasher just fine, and some are a pretty sturdy plastic that seems to be holding up well.

I'm also a fan of ziplock bags for certain things like cheeses and lunchmeats, but not for liquids, having had one too many "incidents" involving seals that didn't or manufacturing defects. I like them for the freezer because then I don't have to tie up one of my other containers for a long time.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog