• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bundt Pan Inventor Dies

srhcb

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/10566597.htm

"The elder Dalquist, founder of Nordic Ware in St. Louis Park, died Sunday of heart failure at his home in Edina. He was 86.

The company has sold more than 50 million Bundt pans, and it remains the top-selling cake pan in the world.

Dalquist designed the first one 54 years ago at the request of members of the Minneapolis Chapter of the Hadassah Society who had old ceramic cake pans of somewhat similar designs but wanted an aluminum pan. Dalquist created a new shape and added regular folds for easy cake cutting."

SB (has a good Walnut Pound Cake recipe for the Bundt Pan)

Here's my tribute to H. David Dalquist -- banana mini-bundts cooked in my new NordicWare pan.

gallery_23736_355_1104976855.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks, Safran! If you were here, I'd give you one to eat and two to take home with you.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I always thought for a pan to be a bundt pan that it had to have a rising shaft in the middle so as to leave a big open space in the middle of your cake.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

So why is it called a Bundt pan and not a Dalquist or a Nordic pan?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I always thought for a pan to be a bundt pan that it had to have a rising shaft in the middle so as to leave a big open space in the middle of your cake.

Yeah, I guess you're right. My cakes arent really bundt cakes. Handily, though, I did make the banana cake as true mini-bundts last month! And I now, restrospectively, dedicate them to H. David Dalquist. This bundt's for you, David.

gallery_23736_355_1104980580.jpg

gallery_23736_355_1104981157.jpg

Edited by Patrick S (log)

I just realized I went to college with one of his daughters, Paul worked for Nordicware for a while, and although I own one of their nifty stovetoip waffle makers, I don't own a Bundt pan!

Better remedy that soonest!

Incidentally, Dalquist's brother owned Maid Of Scandinavia, a long-time Minneapolis purveyor of all things related to baking and candy-making.

A sweet family!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So why is it called a Bundt pan and not a Dalquist or a Nordic pan?

Funny you should ask. In Amy Sutherland's book, "Cook-off, Recipe Fever In America" she tells the story of how it got its name in a chapter called "The Tunnel of Fudge Woman".

According to Sutherland, a group of women from the local Hadassah chapter went to Dahlquist's office and asked him to duplicate a pan one of them had inherited from her German grandmother. The woman whose pan it was called it a "bund" pan -- bund, being the German word for gathering. Dahlquist recreated his own version and added a "t" so that he could trademark it.

Patrick, those are some nice mini-bundts. I almost made banana mini bundts today as well.

Edited by claire797 (log)

I have three bundt cake pans, and two mini bundt pans. I should make something.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here's the original Tunnel of Fudge Cake recipe from Nordicware's website:

http://www.nordicware.com/b2c/recipes_index.cfm

It's a very simple recipe, but I found the footnotes most interesting:

"*Nuts are essential for the success of the recipe." &

"**Since this cake has a soft tunnel of fudge, ordinary doneness test cannot be used. Accurate oven temperature and baking time are critical."

SB (has, shamefully, never tried the recipe)

We bought six mini bundts (5 inch? Miniminibundt?) this summer and made chocolate cakes. Then we used a melon baller to put tiny vanilla ice cream scoops in the hole in the middle! :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I finally got a bundt pan for christmas. I asked for the mini bundt pans(that make 6 small ones) and ended up getting a small bundt pan that is half size of a regular one.

I used it for the first time this morning with this recipe

sour cream chocolate bundt cake

Tastes great but was little too much batter for my pan and it overflowed(I only made half the recipe). I had a feeling that would happen so cooked it on a cookie sheet.(sometime I am smart LOL).

May not look pretty but it does taste good(from the nibbles of the cake that overflowed). Next time, I won't fill it so much!

I am no longer a bundt virgin!!! :biggrin:

Sandra

Edited by momlovestocook (log)

Coincidentally I had just run across my mom's recipe for sock-it-to-me cake ala 1972, so I dug out the bundt pan from the back of the cupboard last night and made one as my little contribution to the theme*. I took it to a potluck comprised of fellow cooks & we all sat around wondering why we don't make things like this anymore. It was simple, tasty & beautiful. (sorry the digital camera died so no pictures) And my kitchen smelled so fabulous while it was baking! There is nothing like real cake fresh from the oven filled with cinnamony-nutty goodness!

Now that the pan is out anyway I might make one of those tunnel of fudge cakes for a party tomorrow - I seem to be in a bundt cake frame of mind suddenly :biggrin:

Eden

*actually I made the cake from scratch even though mom's recipe calls for cake mix (the shame!)

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Stopped at Marshall's today and they had the cast aluminum bundt pans for $9.99. Better bake a cake tomorrow.

But, seriously, that nifty stovetop waffle maker is what I will always associate with NordicWare. It has provided more meals for my family than almost any other single item in my kitchen outside of the pots and pans.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK. I dug out my bundt pan (languishing in a corner cabinet such that I had to get out a flashlight to find it. :blink:

Made a sour cream coffee cake from Epicurious, using black walnuts from one of my husband's coworkers and Trader Joe's dried montmorency cherries in the topping/filling. It's out of the oven now and perfuming the house nicely.

Now I'm almost wishing I didn't plan to send the whole thing off to work with my husband tomorrow. (The vultures have been growing restless with sugar deprivation as there have been no treats for several weeks from my kitchen). Think they'd notice if a slice were missing? :unsure::rolleyes::laugh:

Ok. I had to add a photo. I will dust the top with powdered sugar in the morning:

gallery_17645_490_1105057260.jpg

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I just want to add that I tried the Tunnel of Fudge cake some years ago and my stepson, then about 13, christened it Tunnel of Poop cake. No, we didn't like it a lot, actually. I don't even want to think about what he might have called those newfangled lava cakes!

Since the bundt pan was still out & I have another party tonight, I pulled out the Jan/Feb 2004 Cooks Illustrated (Thanks to Sandra's reminder above) and made their chocolate bundt cake. VERY good, although I would cut the instant espresso to 1/2 tsp in future, I think it comes through a hint too much... The recipe makes just enough batter to fill my fancy bundt pan & make 2 mini bundts as well, so one to test "just in case" :biggrin: and one for lunch tomorrow, plus the big cake for the party.

Hmm I have another party next week. Any other fab Bundt ideas while I'm on a roll?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

SB (has a good Walnut Pound Cake recipe for the Bundt Pan)

Can ya share that recipe? I've been craving a good Walnut Pond Cake and the bundt pan is waiting on the counter! :smile:

It's not the destination, but the journey!