• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

radish greens

torakris

I picked up some gorgeous radishes at the store this morning and they have these equally gorgeous greens attached.

I don't think I have ever eaten radish greens before....

can you?

what can you do with them?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

absolutely... they have a taste which combines the bitterness of rocket and the pepperiness of red mustard leaf.

a fairly sharp vinaigrette, well-seasoned, would be a good partner.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Radish means... what? Daikon? Then, daikon leaves pickled in rice bran (nuka zuke), as I mentioned in the Japan Forum. If you don't have a rice bran bed (nuka doko), then I guess just salting them will be fine.

Definitely you can eat them! Turnip and daikon greens are among my favorites.

Daikon greens can sometimes be weatherbeaten, so discard the outer ring or two of leaves if you so desire.

I like 'em in okayu - chop them up finely, sprinkle with a little coarse salt, rub, leave a few minutes, squeeze out, and drop into the okayu - the heat will cook them adequately, and all bitterness will be gone.

Ni-bitashi with age is also nice.

You can go the other direction, and boil the living daylights out of them too - they're man (?) enough to take it! Try them simmered with pork belly.

Oh, absolutely! For a taste of "home" you can cook them the same as you would cook collards or beet greens or kale or . . . you get the idea! I'm always amazed at the farmers' market that people ask for the greens to be cut off. Oh, the tasty treat they are missing. :sad:

They are quite common in home style Indian cuisine. The radish and the greens are finely chopped and sauted with minimum spicing.

Sometimes I just saute them with cuminseeds, garlic and green chillies.

You could also make them kimchi style.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I love and cook with daikon and turnip greens all the time, the reason I was curious about radish greens it that they are usually sold with out them...

I am talking about radish radishes...

gallery_6134_119_1104025283.jpg

these things are huge about golf ball sized and only cost me 100 yen (about $1)

I never would have thought about eating them raw until culinary bear mentioned it, I am now thinking about maybe making a salad mixing the sliced radishes with the greens...

hmmm.. but like the soup idea too, I don't have enough greens for that particalur one but am tossing around the idea of mixing them with potatoes or possibly a minestrone type soup...

There is a radish top soup, exactly like you would like to make it with potato and scallions, in Schneider's Vegetables book (p. 532)

I have the book! and all the ingredients!

choices...

salad? soup? salad? soup? :biggrin: