• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Restaurants of 2004

Rosie

This is what I came up with but my list is subject to change! What are your favorite restaurants for 2004?

Amanda’s, Hoboken

An American Grill, Randolph

Cinque Figlie, Whippany

Corso 98, Montclair

Dining Room at Anthony David’s, Hoboken

Epernay, Montclair

Fascino, Montclair

Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick

Girasole, Bound Brook

Greek Delights, Montclair

Hunan Cottage, Fairfield

Il Forno, Montclair

The Jefferson, Hoboken

Jocelyne’s, Maplewood

Kyoto, Florham Park

Nicholas, Red Bank

Park Steakhouse, Park Ridge

Tapas de Espana, North Bergen

Zoe’s By the Lake, Sparta

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Is this list for places that opened in 2004 or just our favorie haunts for the last year? Well these are the places I frequented this year.

Fascino, Montclair

Richie Cecere's, Montclair

Sesame, Montclair

La Isla, Hoboken

Robongi, Hoboken

The Grapevine, Nutley

Belmont Tavern, Newark

Iberia, Newark

Terrazza, Nutley

La Tartuferia, Hoboken

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I'd have to say that my best meal of the year was still one of the earliest of '04, and it wasn't in NJ...it was at The Food Studio in Atlanta in late January. In NJ, I'd have to say that Village Green was one of my other top meals this year. My new favorite "I could spend far too much time here" restaurant is definitely The Jefferson in Hoboken.

In '05, I pledge to make my first trip to Fascino! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

definitely An American Grill

Zoe's by the Lake

La Dolce Vita, Wharton

Warehouse Grille, Jefferson

Cloves, Mount Olive

East Cafe, outer part of Rockaway Mall

and of course the Kitchen at 31 Croft :laugh:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

definitely An American Grill

Zoe's by the Lake

La Dolce Vita, Wharton

Warehouse Grille, Jefferson

Cloves, Mount Olive

and of course the Kitchen at 31 Croft  :laugh:

Can you tell me about La Dolce Vita, Wharton and Warehouse Grille, Jefferson? Never been to either.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

rosie- la dolce vita moved to rt 15 wharton next to shoprite about a year ago. it had been on 46 in dover for years. byo which you will like. white cloth red sauce place with good portions and reliable italian/american food. really good lasagna made with fresh pasta and fresh tomato sauce which i really love.for me if i'm not going to make it this is where i go - much better than charlotte's web down the street.

warehouse has become my standby place to grab a burger or steak sandwich. a neighborhood joint where i feel comfortable popping in by myself. good grill man here.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My most memorable meals of 2004:

Cafe Matisse, Rutherford

Eleven Madison Park, Manhattan

Rocca, Glen Rock

China 46, Ridgefield

Cafe Panache, Ramsey

Although I had 2 of the best meals of my life at CM and EMP, I frequent the latter 3 more often and consistently had winning dining experiences that kept me coming back for more...

Marco and Pepe - Jersey City

Madame Claude - Jersey City

Maynila - Jersey City

Chez Catherine - Westfield

Daimatsu - Mountainside

Cathay 22 - Union

The Dining Room at Short Hills Hilton

Restaurant Serenade - Chatham

Taste of Asia - Chatham

Fascino - Montclair

An American Grill - Randolph

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

In no particular order...

Epernay ~ Montclair

Blue ~ Surf City

Bangkok Kitchen ~ Caldwell

Wazwan ~ West Caldwell

Moghul ~ Edison

And our own home.

:wink:

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Maynila - Jersey City

Chez Catherine - Westfield

Daimatsu - Mountainside

Cathay 22 - Union

The Dining Room at Short Hills Hilton

Restaurant Serenade - Chatham

Taste of Asia - Chatham

Fascino - Montclair

An American Grill - Randolph

Cirilo

Can you tell us about Maynila?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm extremely biased, but definitely I would put Mo Pho Noodles (Fort Lee) and China 46 (Ridgefield) down as my two favorite restaurants of 2004.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Maynila - Jersey City

Cirilo

Can you tell us about Maynila?

Maynila is a Filipino restaurant on Newark Avenue nearby Casa Dante. Serves Filipino food cafeteria style or "turo-turo" on the first floor and a la carte on the second floor. I prefer the "turo-turo" section and it now seems to be the standard in Filipino eateries in the Northeast. It need not be that way but that's a different thread altogether. Their offal dishes are as good as it gets especially their "bopis," a dish made of finely chopped calve's heart and tripe cooked in vinegar, garlic, bell peppers and hot pepper flakes. You will not find fusion dishes here. Some Filipinos may argue that Fiesta Grille and Philippine Bread House are better but Maynila is walking distance from my wife's office. :biggrin:

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

By all accounts the restaurants listed are pretty much biased towards northern N.J. What about the central and southern areas of N.J. If anyone is willing to take the time to drive an extra half hour surely the list of top restaurants would include some of the lonely restaurants here in south/central!

By all accounts the restaurants listed are pretty much biased towards northern N.J. What about the  central and southern areas of N.J. If anyone is willing to take the time to drive an extra half hour surely the list of top restaurants would include some of the lonely restaurants here in south/central!

Camper---Please give us your list.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE