• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe request-mushroom bisque/soup

kayswv

Have been fortunately to inherit about two gallon size ziplock baggies full of regular button mushroom stems along with a few caps. Local group had stuffed mushroom caps as a dish and didn't want the stems or small mushrooms.

Am thinking mushroom bisque or soup. Do have cream, some exotic mushrooms etc.

Anyone have a really favorite recipe to share. Have checked several on line sites but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Appreciate any suggestions etc. Thanks. Kay

My favorite mushrooms soup is a pretty simple one:

1/2 stick of butter, tossed into a pot to melt

1/2 Large Onion, minced, and tossed in to brown

12 Ounces or so of Mushrooms (mix and match, or use one type, either works)

Dash of salt

Lots of black pepper

Chicken or Beef stock to cover

Let all of this come to a boil, then reduce heat and slowly stir in a drizzle of heavy cream till it is the creaminess you like. If you have an immersion blender and want a creamier soup vs. a chunky one, put that in and puree till it is the texture that you desire.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Mushroom Soup Central Mexico Style

This is my version based on a light yet creamy mushroom soup I have eaten in Central Mexico.

Serves four and can be doubled with no problem.

Ingredients

1 lb fresh white mushrooms, chopped

1 medium sweet onion, minced

1/2 cup chopped green chilies (mild)/seeded

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp comino

1/2 - 1 tsp ground white pepper

2 cups (chicken or beef) stock

1/2 cup (fat free or full fat) half and half

1 cup water or more if needed

2 - 4 Tbsp unsalted butter for sauteeing

salt to taste

1-2 Tbsp corn starch

Garnish with a slice of mushroom, slices of avocado, and drizzle of sour cream or creme fraiche.

Method

Saute mushrooms, onion, garlic, and chilies on medium heat until tender

cooked, but not browned.

Add stock and water one cup at a time heating thoroughly just to the edge of a boil with each addition.

Reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes, covered, then another 15 minutes uncovered.

You can then puree soup in pot with immersible blender. Removing two cups to blend with cornstarch.

OR

Remove from heat, transfer to cool pot and cool enough to allow you to pour two cups at a time into your blender. Blend on medium, pulsing, until soup is mostly smooth in consistency.

Add the cornstarch to the last 2 cups of soup in the blender (or a narrow bowl if using immersion blender), blending well.

Return to original soup pot and repeat process until all soup has been

blended.

Gently bring soup back to simmer, adding half and half. Do not allow to boil at this point, but cook several minutes on med low until the soup holds well with the cream and cornstarch.

Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

If you want a bisque -- then try the creme veloute aux champignons from Mastering the Art.

Basically, roux, some onions, mushrooms simmered in stock; sieved, thickened with egg yolk and cream, granished with slices of the caps tossed in butter and lemon juice. Very good in a rich old-=fashioned way. fabulous texture.

If you want a bisque -- then try the creme veloute aux champignons from Mastering the Art.

Basically, roux, some onions, mushrooms simmered in stock; sieved, thickened with egg yolk and cream, granished with slices of the caps tossed in butter and lemon juice.  Very good in a rich old-=fashioned way. fabulous texture.

I'll second this. I've been making that recipe as my standard 'fancy dinner party' opener for decades. It never fails to impress. And it's our traditional Christmas Eve soup as well. It IS fabulous. I simply can't imagine anything better.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My favorite mushrooms soup is a pretty simple one:

1/2 stick of butter, tossed into a pot to melt

1/2 Large Onion, minced, and tossed in to brown

12 Ounces or so of Mushrooms (mix and match, or use one type, either works)

Dash of salt

Lots of black pepper

Chicken or Beef stock to cover

Let all of this come to a boil, then reduce heat and slowly stir in a drizzle of heavy cream till it is the creaminess you like.  If you have an immersion blender and want a creamier soup vs. a chunky one, put that in and puree till it is the texture that you desire.

That's very similar to Tony Bourdains recipe in the Les Halles Cookbook. I made it last week and drolloped on a bit of creme fresh when serving. Fast quick and throughly enjoyable. :smile:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321