• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta restaurant recommendations?

mchoi

Varsity Drive-In for a couple of chili dogs, a side of onion rings and a frosted orange.  Order curb service - the car hop jobs are passed on from generation to generation.  Then head inside and take a look at a major fast food production factory that consistently turns out top quality fast food in volumes that a McD owner can only dream about.

The Varsity Website

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you make it out to Buckhead, and you really should, you must, absolutely must go to the Buckhead Diner. Nava in Buckhead does some great South Western cuisine.

Also out that way is Seegers the number 1 fine dining restaurant (www.seegers.com) which I have not eaten in my collegues have and said it was the meal of their lives. Joel Antunes has always been a hot ticket where ever he has cooked in the world and now he is at Joel (http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2001-12-19/cuisine_feature.html) .

The Abbey restaurant may be recommended to you but I would say avoid it, it will be an expensive mistake. Also Pano And Pauls.

Hope this is of some help.

Buckhead Diner, Pano's & Paul's, Chops, and Nava are all owned by Buckhead Life Restaurants Group. The Diner and Chops are at least 15 years old.

Also Bluepointe, Atlanta Fish Market, etc. Big outfit which manages to keep each restaurant functioning creatively while retaining its individuality.

Buckhead Life

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I highly recommend Soto for the best sushi in town...but do not miss their nightly specials. Appetizer portions of lobster/mango/portabello mushrooms in a cream sauce, jackfish carpaccio with truffle oil...etc. Ask a good waiter for a recommendation. Sit at the bar if possible. Service can be spotty.

• 5 months later...

I had dinner at The Highland Tap the other night, in Va-Highlands. Hadn't eaten there in years. Used to go after I got off work when I was a waitron unit, drank their fabulous martinis, at the time considered the best in town.

My three companions had steaks, my husband's the gorgonzola crusted filet--it was a buttery piece of meat. I had salmon with pecan crust--it was a huge filet--I never even touched the asparagus and mash that came with it. We all had salads, the spinach with warm bacon dressing being the best, and for starters escargot and mussels. I had a sidecar before dinner.

It was a really, really good meal--not because it was the best meal I've ever had but because it was simply good, a good steak, not too fussy, good drinks, everything good, including the service. It's sorta dark and dungeony-like, but in a way the atmosphere makes the experience. It has a very old world feel.

I agree with Holly on the Varsity Drive-In.  :biggrin:

Isn't that where they serve those fabulous french fries with blue cheese sauce? I had them somewhere in Atlanta several years back when I was visiting my sister, and I've forgotten where it was for sure.

But I think that's it. Is it?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I have to include our disappointment with Soto... Being a younger couple, we were "herded" to a table with a disdained precaution that we were expected to have finished and open the table up in the course of a half hour. We both were very nicely dressed and highly capable of "renting" the table for longer if they had only looked a little further down their noses.. LOL.. the food was "alright".. We've had better sushi in Atlanta.. the service was very insulting.. We relied on Fodor's ratings, and despite the acknowledgement that it was devoid of any decoration/adornment (located w/in the standard strip-mall set-up), white-walls, take-out dining room atmosphere, classed-up w/the addition of cheap wooden tables (remniscent Wendy's newspaper tables).. we were curious to go on the recommendation of food alone..unfortunately we could not enjoy our food in any sense as we were pushed, ignored, then pushed again, and corralled out after leaving a generous/polite tip.. I would advise visiting Nickiemoto's in Midtown (much friendlier/many more upbeat patrons) despite its varied menu.. Great selection of sushi and sashimi, of Hamiguchi (can provide ADDY if you want... Satellite Blvd)

My husband and I have to include our disappointment with Soto... Being a younger couple,  we were "herded" to a table with a disdained precaution that we were expected to have finished and open the  table up in the course of a half hour.

I emphatize with your predicament. It amazes me how many service establishments blow off good customers with snap judgements (often made by 19 year old hostesses, I suspect) about their profitability.

A friend of mine went in to buy a Cadillac (she was 26, hubby 28) at a NJ dealer. Literally couldn't get the attention of the sales people, they wouldn't wait on her. All her life she wanted a Caddy. Crossed the street to the Lexus dealer. Now on her third (leased) Lexus.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Really enjoyed the Buckhead Diner. Excellent service and food. Also in Buckhead, if it still around...Cafe Tu Tu Tango. Good Tapas menu, funky art which is for sale on the walls. All within walking distance of many bars. I have heard great things about Nava, but have never dined there. Fago De Chao is a great restaurant for Brazilian dining. All manners of grille meat which are brought to your table until you say when with a card you turn over to let them know you are satiated(i.e. stuffed). It is a chain but locations are scattered and few. Denver, Dallas, Atlanta. If you like Thai, make sure you try Surin of Thailand.

• 4 months later...

I'm astounded that you were treated that poorly. My wife and I went to Soto for the first time at 28 and got no trouble. Sat at the bar and had a grand old time. The key is to sit at the sushi bar and to go early (6 or 630) before it gets crowded.

There is also an astounding japanese restuarant in Duluth called Haru Ichiban. It is constantly full of Japanese expats.

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't that where they serve those fabulous french fries with blue cheese sauce

Yes

Actually, the fries and blue cheese sauce is at the Buckhead Diner. The Varsity is strictly a drive in, hot dogs, onion rings (awesome ones), french fries, etc.