• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truckin'--the REAL People's Choice

MarketStEl

I understand there are some other places in this city that serve Cuban sandwiches. I'd like to hear about them so I have something to compare this to.

Sandy:

Tierra Colombiana on North 5th Street off of Roosevelt Blvd. has the best Cubano sandwich (and the best Cuban food all around) in the city. Their Center City outpost, Mixto is right in your 'hood, but although the menu is pretty similar, the food didn't travel well and yuppify for downtown. I don't know why, but the food at the original location in the barrio is much better and much more authentic tasting. I hosted a DDC dinner there awhile back and it was one of the more popular events. They really treated us well and put out an unbelievable buffet spread for us. The black beans and rice and the arañitas (shredded plaintain fritters served with the deadliest and most addictive garlic sauce) are worth a trip alone. I'm certain there are several folks you wouldn't have much trouble convincing to go to Tierra Colombiana for some "research". :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

namely me (and i'll have a car after thanksgiving so i could drive too).

that sangria soda is definitely available at lupitas on 9th, or veracruzana on washington. probably also at la tienda on 6th, and that other one at 10th & christian or so.

also, i'm surprised no one's mentioned the 'falafel nazi' at 20th & market yet.

If you mean Konstadinos Christis on the northwest corner then that epithet is out of line and not funny. I've never seen him act like that character on that unfunny sitcom.

I've mentioned this truck in the past as the best

in center city. The food is creative, always well prepared and the truck is spotless. In the dead of winter there is alway a line waiting for his food.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

taco lou is still there, but i think it's 33rd, not 34th.

is mexicali still at 36th & spruce?

I read about MexiCali in today's DP. One cart is at 38th and Walnut, and the other is on the 3600 block of Spruce.

And there's a store at 40th and Sansom, sorta. The article has the details on why this store opened, then closed, and plans to reopen soonish.

http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/di...T/419c542a5a4c6

I'd also like to put in a good word for Kim's Vietnamese and Chinese food truck next to the Pottruck center (the food vendor plaza next to the gym). Even when it is crowded, you can get ginger chicken very quickly. It's got its own queue, and it's cheap and tasty.

Take care.

I love mexicali's food, but he is always so unreliable -- often not there, or opening late, or would just up and cancel certain things off the menu for no obvious reason. Its amazing to me he is still in business. And the lines! After a certain point I kinda gave up. Do they still have the place in Ardmore?

I love kim's. The rice noodle with spring rolls is very very good, as is the chili chicken. But again, the lunch hour wait is nuts. I frequened jow's & sophies, but I don't go back much farther than that.

I bought a lot of egg & cheese sandwiches from the lady in front of DRL...

The falafel cart on 19th and Walnut...  I have to look for the official name. Wonderful falafel, often includes grapes in the mix, always outstanding, never greasy. The cart has an equal amount of decorations as a restaurant. Hence, over-decorated for a cart.

It's on 22nd and Walnut - OOPS

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Once in a while Tierra colombiana has a really good tripe soup,that a cubano,and a couple of presidente's later I'm feeling great

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Once in a while Tierra colombiana has a really good tripe soup,that a cubano,and a couple of presidente's later I'm feeling great

I had the occasion to take a cab ride up 5th Street this past Saturday. I thought Tierra Colombiana was on this street, but saw no sign of it.

Where is this place exactly?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I had the occasion to take a cab ride up 5th Street this past Saturday.  I thought Tierra Colombiana was on this street, but saw no sign of it.

Where is this place exactly?

4535 N. 5th St.

Above Hunting Park Avenue, then.

No wonder I missed it. We turned off 5th at Hunting Park.

The best way from CC is to take Route 76 West to Route 1 to either the Broad Street exit or the next one after Broad (I think it's 9th St. exit).

Continue on the streeet it lets you out on until you get to 5th.

Right on 5th, and the first bright neon sign you see on the left is Tierra Colombiana.

If you were going north on 5th, as I suspect you were, other good spots are El Bohio and Shining Star. I don't really remember where they are, but Holly's site at www.hollyeats.com is a good reference.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The best way from CC is to take Route 76 West to Route 1 to either the Broad Street exit or the next one after Broad (I think it's 9th St. exit).

Continue on the streeet it lets you out on until you get to 5th.

Right on 5th, and the first bright neon sign you see on the left is Tierra Colombiana.

I'm translating this into SEPTA:

Route 47 bus to 5th and Wingohocking.

The cross street you'd take off the Boulevard is Wyoming Ave.

If you were going north on 5th, as I suspect you were, other good spots are El Bohio and Shining Star.  I don't really remember where they are, but Holly's site at www.hollyeats.com is a good reference.

I did spy El Bohio on the trip--I think at Erie, or was it Allegheny?

I know there's a bus that travels on El Centre de Oro part of North 5th.

Assuming you've got accurate info, I suppose it's the 47.

All I know about the 47 is that the northbound bus runs on 7th St in CC and South Philly.

The 57 bus also runs north on 3rd in CC and South Philly, but it may switch to Girard at Fishtown.

Can't recall. Do your magical fact checking.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I know there's a bus that travels on El Centre de Oro part of North 5th.

Assuming you've got accurate info, I suppose it's the 47.

All I know about the 47 is that the northbound bus runs on 7th St in CC and South Philly.

The 57 bus also runs north on 3rd in CC and South Philly, but it may switch to Girard at Fishtown.

Having had the occasion to use the 57 twice recently, I can tell you that it goes up 3d/down 4th in CC, then at Girard, swings E to run up/down American Street through the industrial corridor. At Allegheny, northbound buses go up Front and southbound ones use 2d as far as Erie, where the line runs up Front in both directions.

The 47, according to the schedule, shifts over to 5th/6th from 7th/8th at Susquehanna/Dauphin.

Can't recall. Do your magical fact checking.

It's at Allegheny. Address is 2746 North 5th. Gotta love Yahoo! Local.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Back to the topic of food trucks, I have become mildly addicted, as it's gotten colder outside, to the meatball sandwiches from the truck on the west side of 11th between Filbert and Market. $2.75 for a large. Because sometimes, even though you're near Reading Terminal's temple of lunchy goodness, you don't want to spend $6 or more on lunch.