• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Entertaining Season Begins

Marlene

I have whipping cream and will make some up to serve with these. I would normally slice the apples for this dish, but I agree they probably need to be diced for these shells. This should be an interesting experiment.

The potatoes are made and piped. Because I love to entertain you people, I'll post pictures later of my piping skills. There's a reason I don't work in Pastry.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Whew. Ok, dinner was a little late. My timing was way off on the turkey for some reason. I think it might have still been frozen inside. I did not take most of the pics tonight so there are some missing that I would have taken. However, here we go with Christmas dinner #1.

First I had to make a mustard paste for the turkey to leave it soak overnight:

gallery_6080_217_9453.jpg

Then I made the cranberry sauce:

gallery_6080_217_7365.jpg

And that's where picture taking fell down. I have neither a picture of the finished turkey nor of the cranberry sauce.

Anway, we started with baked brie topped with roasted garlic:

gallery_6080_217_55752.jpg

I had made the potatoes earlier and piped them:

gallery_6080_217_88125.jpg

Set the table (interestingly the first thing my son said when he came in today was "what's wrong with our dining room chairs?". He'd never seen the chair covers before. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do anything about getting the covers custom retrofitted for the arm chairs so they remain coverless.

gallery_6080_217_27538.jpg

gallery_6080_217_91897.jpg

Stuck the carrots in the slow cooker:

gallery_6080_217_40378.jpg

The finished turkey, carved

gallery_6080_217_57009.jpg

the gravy

gallery_6080_217_27702.jpg

Finished potatoes:

gallery_6080_217_8023.jpg

And the carmelized apples in the phyllo shells with some whipped cream.

gallery_6080_217_75895.jpg

Again, since I didn't take the pictures (not that my picture taking is stellar by any means), there were some shots I didn't get and some that I would have liked to have close ups of. But you get the general idea. I loved the apples in the shells and it was a perfect ending.

Tomorrow's dinner will be baked ham, potatoes au gratin, some sort of veg, probably asparagus and if anyone really wants dessert, I have some left over apples and shells.

Marlene

Whew.  Ok, dinner was a little late.  My timing was way off on the turkey for some reason.  I think it might have still been frozen inside.  I did not take most of the pics tonight so there are some missing that I would have taken.  However, here we go with Christmas dinner #1.

It all looks amazing. I am especially impressed with the potatoes though. They are now on my list as "must do".

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm in non stop cook mode with my in laws here. Tonight's dinner was very simple, ham, basted with bourbon mustard sauce, gratin of potato and salad. Well we got pictures of the ham and potatoes but nothing else.

Ham:gallery_6080_217_106472.jpg

gallery_6080_217_61753.jpg

Potatoes:

gallery_6080_217_46569.jpg

I really need to get back in charge of picture taking. My picture taking skills may suck, but at least I get the shots I want.

Tomorrow night we are taking them out for dinner, whew.

Marlene

It all looks fabulous, Marlene. Glad you get to take a night off, hope you're going somewhere wonderful. How did you like the potatos? Would you make them again?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I really need to get back in charge of picture taking.  My picture taking skills may suck, but at least I get the shots I want.

I rather like your photography skills! Your "baked brie with roasted garlic" just became my new wallpaper on the office computer and my boss is drooling... :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Which potatoes? The piped ones? I found them very easy and loved being able to make them ahead. I'd definately make them again.

We are off to the Omega tonight, a local steakhouse here in Oakville that I've written about before. And I've made the pot roast for tomorrow night's dinner!

Marlene

I really need to get back in charge of picture taking.  My picture taking skills may suck, but at least I get the shots I want.

I rather like your photography skills! Your "baked brie with roasted garlic" just became my new wallpaper on the office computer and my boss is drooling... :laugh:

lol. You know, I got the idea from Whole Foods. They sell them like that in their cheese section. I almost bought one and then said, hey wait, I can do that myself.

Marlene

Last night of cooking for company before I get to start gearing up for Christmas and Boxing dinner extravaganzas.

Kept it more or less simple tonight.

Pot roast (it's almost impossible to make pot roast look good in a picture, but I swear this was fork tender)

gallery_6080_217_16757.jpg

Look, a green vegetable. Broccoli:

gallery_6080_217_2431.jpg

Cheese sauce and mashed potatoes:

gallery_6080_217_18804.jpg

And creme brulee:

gallery_6080_217_56679.jpg

Marlene

And my entertaining season winds to a close. Whew. Christmas Day was just the two of us so we had a simple beef fondue and some Cristal champagne. No good pictures. Well except for the Champagne bottle. :biggrin:

gallery_6080_2292_18548.jpg

Boxing Day was my big family dinner. Dinner for 8. We started with a few nibbles:

Brie Fritters with a raspberry dipping sauce. These were simply awesome. Prepare the brie ahead of time and then it takes seconds to deep fry them when guests arrive:

gallery_6080_2292_101123.jpg

Beef Tenderloin Canapes with Cream Cheese Horseradish Spread:

gallery_6080_2292_65973.jpg

And the biggest shrimp I've ever seen in my life:

gallery_6080_2292_22623.jpg

The main event was Prime Rib. I think this is the best Prime Rib I've ever bought. I had an interesting conversation with the "butcher". I got the roast from Whole Foods. My normal butcher biker guy was busy so I got this young kid. He cut a beautiful roast for me and showed it to me. "Perfect" said I. "I'll just go cut the fat cap off" said he. "Well, you could", said I. "except, if you do, I'll have to kill you and since it's Christmas and all, perhaps you should just leave it on. Better for everyone's health that way". In the meantime, my butcher biker guy wandered over and recognized me. "No problems' Mrs. Newell?" "Oh no" I replied. "We were just having a friendly conversation about the fat cap". Mr Butcher Biker guy turned to the kid and said, "do exactly what she wants. This lady knows her meat and knows what she likes". What a guy. :wub:

The Christmas table:

gallery_6080_2292_68713.jpg

The beef:

gallery_6080_2292_76189.jpg

Hard to tell from this, but it was delightfully med rare to rare in the middle:

gallery_6080_2292_78427.jpg

Roasted potatoes:

gallery_6080_2292_8413.jpg

Yorkshire Puddings:

gallery_6080_2292_95259.jpg

and a Tomato Onion Salad. I made a bleu cheese dressing to go with this, but no picture, alas.

gallery_6080_2292_37714.jpg

Dessert was a chocolate mousse cake and special coffee for which I also have no pictures.

Not too bad for a woman juggling a sick child, dinner for 8, and and elderly mother.

This pretty much concludes my entertaining for 2005. Normally, we have a New Year's Eve bash here, but this year we are spending two nights in Niagara Falls with my brother and his fiance celebrating his life and the wonders of the past year and the hopes for the coming year.

Marlene

And my entertaining season winds to a close. Whew....

WOW! It all looks absolutely delicious.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the report, Marlene! Sounds like you deserve a break.

Good on you for establishing such a great rapport with the butcher, and I bet you taught the young lad a thing or two about fat, which is essential! My butcher positively cringes when the women ask for him to trim all of the fat off of everything.

Have a wonderful New Year's.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The season is over? Sigh ...  :sad:

Marlene, does that mean you're going to hibernate and eat vegetables for the winter??

Well, I won't exactly hibernate. We do entertain throughout the year, but not like this. As for vegetables, well there are several changes in store for me this year. Give me a month. I think you'll be surprised. Stay tuned. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene, I am SO jealous! Where did you find wonderful tomatoes like those at this time of year? I'm in south Florida and all we get are wooly, nasty, flavorless, half-ripe, pale pink tennis balls. :angry: (Can ya tell I really love a GOOD tomato? :laugh: ) They look gorgeous!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We got them at Whole Foods. Yes, we pay a little more for them but they were really good.

I thought I was mostly done, but I'm holding a birthday party this weekend for a close friend of ours. I guess this means I need to bake a cake.

Marlene

I do in fact have the makings, and I was considering that one!

Marlene

Truly, most of this meal I could do in my sleep. But when you're doing a party for 10, sometimes that's helpful.

Nibbles:

Brie fritters and raspberry sauce

gallery_6080_280_72044.jpg

Mini Celriac potato pancakes:

gallery_6080_280_2808.jpg

Prime Rib, yet again

gallery_6080_280_95501.jpg

gallery_6080_280_51488.jpg

gallery_6080_280_74250.jpg

gallery_6080_280_80754.jpg

Whole roasted potatoes:

gallery_6080_280_89976.jpg

\

Roasted asparagus with balsamic and parmesan:

gallery_6080_280_10523.jpg

The most amazing Yorkshire puddings:

gallery_6080_280_20851.jpg

The wine with dinner:

gallery_6080_280_75789.jpg

And a really really bad picture of the birthday cake.

gallery_6080_280_42570.jpg

Marlene

And a really really bad picture of the birthday cake.

gallery_6080_280_42570.jpg

Such a pity, Marlene, that the cake photo wasn't taken before the eating, ehh? Mind you, your shooting is getting better. But how did the cake TASTE?

As for the prime rib, who helped you this time? The biker butcher or the young man?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I didn't take any of those pictures. My husband did camera duty while I cooked. I made such a mess of the writing on the cake I wouldn't let him take a "before" picture! However, the cake was really good. Devil's Food Cake was the first cake I learned to bake oh so many years ago, and it never fails me.

The biker butcher cut this roast for me, and it was beyond tender. That was a 9 pound, four bone Prime rib.

The mini potato pancakes are from Martha's Hor D'ourves book. They are supposed to be served with an apple-red onion compote, but I just didn't have time to make it, but they go well with applesauce and sour cream too.

Marlene

• 1 month later...

This is a period we don't entertain a lot in, but we do some. Tonight a dinner for 8.

Starting with apps:

\

Janet's nuts

gallery_6080_2597_55074.jpg

Potato chips dusted with parmesan:

gallery_6080_2597_28774.jpg

Beef tenderloin canapes (yes we were having beef for dinner, whats' your point? :biggrin: )

gallery_6080_2597_30340.jpg

On to the roast:

gallery_6080_2597_15387.jpg

gallery_6080_2597_21571.jpg

Crock pot carrots

gallery_6080_2597_14971.jpg

Yorkshire pudding:

gallery_6080_2597_41245.jpg

Onion strings and gravy

gallery_6080_2597_2410.jpg

Plated, with mashed:

gallery_6080_2597_32641.jpg

A really bad picture of creme caramel:

gallery_6080_2597_8629.jpg

Marlene

Beautiful, Marlene! What did you drink with dinner? With dessert? After dessert?

And, you really should change the title of this topic to something that reflects that your entertaining season never really ends!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

With dinner was a 1996 Barolo. After dinner was port or liquers depending on peoples choice

Marlene

This is a period we don't entertain a lot in, but we do some. Tonight a dinner for 8.

This all looks amazing. The potato chips dusted with Parmesan are especially intriguing. Are they home made chips?

My 2004 eG Blog