• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Entertaining Season Begins

Marlene

I use 4 sheets when I make phyllo cups, naturally brushing with butter between each layer. Instead of cranberry, I use a good seedless raspberry jam. My son will eat all of them if I don't watch him!!!

Stop Family Violence

I found those frozen phyllo shells!

This Sunday I'll be making the first of three Christmas dinners as my MIL and SIL arrive in town for a three day visit. For this one, I'll do the traditional turkey with gravy. I'm going to make Katie's Cranberry Orange Sauce, and I'll have the jellied stuff for those who like it. Cornbread, sage and rosemary stuffing, but I have to confess, I've bought the bread mix from Whole Foods. (Well everyone saw what happened the last time I tried cornbread stuffing!).

Veg will either be glazed carrots, roasted asparagus or brocoli.

Now the big question is potatoes. I love mashed potatoes, but I'm thinking I'd like to do something a little fancier, but that would also go with gravy. I could do Maggie's wonderful madeleines or even Dave's molten mashers I guess, but I'm open to suggestions here.

Pre dinner nibbles will be baked brie topped with roasted garlic and one other thing I haven't decided on yet.

I also haven't figured out dessert. I want something light since the mains will be heavy enough.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene,

Your roast pork looks mouth watering delicious. I have been so disappointed with pork lately as it seems so lean it always turns out dry and tasteless.

I'm tempted to run a intravenous of butter into the poor thing while it roast. :laugh:

And that gravy truly looks wonderful. :smile:

Robert R

I also haven't figured out dessert.  I want something light since the mains will be heavy enough.

This incredible ice cream is so much more than the sum of its parts and is a great ending to a heavy meal:

Maida Heatter's Tropical Lime Ice Cream

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Are you mad?!?!?  Hope you enjoyed your vacation.  I'm on a cooking strike today.  Went to Ottawa over the weekend to visit and attend a turkey/ham buffet dinner for 50.  The gentleman with whom we were visiting was supposed to be preparing all the food with 3 friends (one is a prof. chef).  The guys all cancelled due to various emergencies.  Our friend had no clue how to plan it out.  Guess who cancelled her day at the spa and cooked 2 24 lb turkeys, 1 22 pound ham, potatos, dressing, gravy, carrots, beans, squash, broc. & cheese sauce, cranberry sauce etc?  Yep, lucky me.  To make it even more fun, I didn't have my knives with me (theirs suck) and they only had 3 pots!  I had to send the SO out to buy more pots among other things.  Our hostess mingled and drank wine and went to bed when the guests left leaving everything to us.  Nice.

I HOPE you sent the S.O.B.s a bill! :shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Are you mad?!?!?  Hope you enjoyed your vacation.  I'm on a cooking strike today.  Went to Ottawa over the weekend to visit and attend a turkey/ham buffet dinner for 50.  The gentleman with whom we were visiting was supposed to be preparing all the food with 3 friends (one is a prof. chef).  The guys all cancelled due to various emergencies.  Our friend had no clue how to plan it out.  Guess who cancelled her day at the spa and cooked 2 24 lb turkeys, 1 22 pound ham, potatos, dressing, gravy, carrots, beans, squash, broc. & cheese sauce, cranberry sauce etc?  Yep, lucky me.  To make it even more fun, I didn't have my knives with me (theirs suck) and they only had 3 pots!  I had to send the SO out to buy more pots among other things.  Our hostess mingled and drank wine and went to bed when the guests left leaving everything to us.  Nice.

I HOPE you sent the S.O.B.s a bill! :shock:

I wish. We didn't even get breakfast the next morning, although it was suggested I "whip something up" as "that's what you do". Doubtful I'll be returning soon. :hmmm:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Frozen Plum Pudding

How about a Frozen Plum Pudding? It's a festive custardy ice cream, flavored with apricot brandy and jam, almonds and dried and candied fruits. You can make it without a machine, and serve it in a souffle dish or fancy mold. There may be too much for a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish, but put a collar on it for a lovely presentation, and freeze any extra separately.

A early nineteenth century American recipe, from June Platt to James Beard to me. I've modernized and streamlined the recipe for today. Beard said it reminded him of theTuitti Fruitti Ice Cream of his childhood, and you can call it that when you serve it the rest of the year.

For the fruit, I generally use 1/2 C. currants plus 1/2 C. mixed candied fruit: yes, the neon stuff. You may also choose from raisins or golden raisins, citron, candied citrus peel. If you don't like those, perhaps dried apricots, peaches, cranberries or cherries. Just keep in mind that you want 1 cup total, chopped to about the size of the currants. Probably no one will recognize the pieces so you will have no "I hate raisins" going on at table.

Posted on RecipeGullet here: Frozen Plum Pudding

! cup chopped dried and candied fruit

1 1/2 T. flour

1/2 cup blanched almonds

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 milk

1 cup heavy cream

6 egg yolks, slightly beaten

1/2 C. apricot brandy, divided

1/2 cup apricot preserves

1 T. vanilla extract

1 t. almond extract

2 cups heavy cream, whipped

In a small bowl, toss the chopped fruit with the flour.

Grind the almonds finely with the sugar in food processer or blender.

Place the milk, 1 cup cream and sugar-almond mixture into the top of a double boiler and heat until steaming over simmering water.

Temper the egg yolks with some of the hot liquid, return all to pan and cook about 3 minutes or until lightly thickened.

Add the floured fruits and cook a few seconds longer, stirring well.

Stir in 1/4 C. brandy, the apricot preserves and the vanilla and almond extracts.

Cover and chill.

Stir the remaining brandy into the chilled mixture and fold in the whipped cream. Freeze at least overnight in covered container, 1 1/2 to 2 quart fancy mold, or a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish with a collar.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

That sound lovely, except I don't believe I have a souffle dish! Yes, yes I know. Have I mentioned prep time? Friday I'll be at the hospital most of the day for tests. I can do so me prep Saturday morning, then it's downtown for the Firm's christmas party. We'll stay overnight and arrive back home around noon at which time my son will arrive. So I've got Sat morning and Sunday afternoon to make stuff in advance. I'll get the mustard paste onto the bird Sat morning so it can sit overnight. I'm going to make the cranberries on Sat as well. I just don't know if I'll have enough time to make this dish so it sets properly.

I haven't heard any stunning potato thoughts yet!

Marlene

Potato madelaines sounds pretty awesome. How about dauphine potatoes, you've got the fryer? Or duchess potatoes for lovely presentation? Make-ahead mashed for ease and convenience?

That sound lovely, except I don't believe I have a souffle dish!  Yes, yes I know. Have I mentioned prep time?  Friday I'll be at the hospital most of the day for tests.  I can do so me prep Saturday morning, then it's downtown for the Firm's christmas party.  We'll stay overnight and arrive back home around noon at which time my son will arrive.  So I've got Sat morning and Sunday afternoon to make stuff in advance.  I'll get the mustard paste onto the bird Sat morning so it can sit overnight.  I'm going to make the cranberries on Sat as well.  I just don't know if I'll have enough time to make this dish so it sets properly.

how about scalloped potatoes with (dried) porcini mushrooms? i think there's a recipe on epicurious.... i made them and they are very very good -- just don't overdo the dried porcini. good luck!

Potato madelaines sounds pretty awesome.  How about dauphine potatoes, you've got the fryer?  Or duchess potatoes for lovely presentation?  Make-ahead mashed for ease and convenience?

Splain Duchess potatoes? Recipe even?

That sound lovely, except I don't believe I have a souffle dish!  Yes, yes I know. Have I mentioned prep time?  Friday I'll be at the hospital most of the day for tests.  I can do so me prep Saturday morning, then it's downtown for the Firm's christmas party.  We'll stay overnight and arrive back home around noon at which time my son will arrive.  So I've got Sat morning and Sunday afternoon to make stuff in advance.  I'll get the mustard paste onto the bird Sat morning so it can sit overnight.  I'm going to make the cranberries on Sat as well.  I just don't know if I'll have enough time to make this dish so it sets properly.

how about scalloped potatoes with (dried) porcini mushrooms? i think there's a recipe on epicurious.... i made them and they are very very good -- just don't overdo the dried porcini. good luck!

Mushrooms will only be found in this house if my husband decides he needs the insurance money and sneaks them into our food. :biggrin:

Marlene

I have made this elegant potato dish and used the star tip with amazingly beautiful results... Duchesse Potatoes and with the butter and cream, they fairly brim with flavor!

I am never allowed to bring a mushroom into my home under penalty of divorce and/or beheading :shock: .. Neither my husband nor my daughter can be in the room with a "fungus" ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

For duchess potatoes I do not use cream. I boil potatoes in their jackets, drain, peel and puree/mash while hot. I mix in about 3 egg yolks and maybe 2 or so ounces of butter for every 4 large potatos. Season with salt, white pepper, nutmeg if you choose, pop in a pastry bag with a rosette tip and pipe rosettes onto a non-stick baking sheet. Bake/broil in oven until brown. They can be made ahead and warmed and broiled at the last. If you make them ahead be sure to bring to room temp and add extra butter during the mixing stage so they do not dry out. Best to make just a while ahead and stand at room temp until service.

I may be stuck with ordinary mashed potatoes. Even though I have two ovens, one oven will have the turkey in it and the other the stuffing. No, the stuffing is definately not going in the bird.

In the meantime, I'd love some ideas for fillings for these cute little phyllo tart shells!

I'm thinking possibly carmelized apples for dessert.

Marlene

I may be stuck with ordinary mashed potatoes.  Even though I have two ovens, one oven will have the turkey in it and the other the stuffing.  No, the stuffing is definately not going in the bird.

In the meantime, I'd love some ideas for fillings for these cute little phyllo tart shells!

I'm thinking possibly carmelized apples for dessert.

Why not use the brie & cranberry combo you'd destined for the phyllo purses? :rolleyes:

Then again, there's alway goat cheese with pesto and dried tomatoes, or a salmon mousse, or ganache, if you're looking for a desert. Maybe as a holder for your apples, garnished with a lemon zest skinny curl ?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

You would have more than enough time to do the duchess potatoes after the turkey comes out of the oven to stand...

Then I would make them ahead, pipe them onto sheets and put in the fridge until time to bake/broil them?

Marlene

You got it, kiddo. Bake them for a bit to heat through, broil to brown the tops if need be. Serve immediately. I like these for last minute stuff especially when cooking in a home kitchen since all the work can be done before leaving your burners free for veg, gravy etc.

Done. They're on the menu. I can experiment on Don's family and if it works, I can use them for my big Christmas dinner. :biggrin: Veg will likely be done in the slow cooker. One less thing to worry about.

Marlene

Have fun piping! The first time I made these many years ago it never occurred to me that there actually is technique involved when piping them. My first pan looked like lopsided turds! I learned very quickly to use even, constant pressure when using a pastry bag and that consistency does matter! :biggrin:

FYI: don't try these with purple potatos either. :wacko:

For appetizers I have filled them with Shrimp Newburg, Crabmeat with Cognac in Alfredo Sauce, Brie and apricot, and a dip/spread that is based on sour cream and cream cheese with lots small diced meats, tomatoes, etc.

For desserts, I fill them with a quick fudge for Fudge Tarts, lemon curd, an almond filling topped with apricot jam, or my favorite standby: Secret Baklava Tarts

You can use them for any filling that would go in a tart shell, and either pre-cook them empty until they color a bit or cook them with fillings in them, as appropriate. From the day I discovered these, I never made teeny tart shells again.

I'm going to do the carmelized apples for this dinner and fill the phyllo shells with them. I'm going to re heat the apples separately I think while the shells bake. How long should unfilled phyllo shells be baked for? Do I thaw them first? Ok, ok, but I've never used these before!

Marlene

Shouldn't take long...they're already cooked and you're just re-heating them, but I like to bake at 325 degrees until they take on a little color. Ten minutes or so, depending upon whether they're frozen and you don't need to thaw. They probably thaw in about 3 minutes after you remove them from the packages. Be sure to save the boxes and plastic forms--what better way to store any leftovers?

One question, how are you cutting up the apples? These are tiny shells and I'd think diced apples would be better than sliced. You'll need 2 or 3 tarts per serving. A little whipped cream never goes amiss.