• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Entertaining Season Begins

Marlene

They were homemade. First time I ever made potato chips. I have a new mandoline so I figured I'd try it out. The idea of dusting with parmesan I took from Delmonico's steakhouse in Las Vegas. They serve a truffle parmesan chip that I absolutely love. I didn't have any truffle oil, but I thought I'd try the parmesan. They were really really good. In fact, my guests ate them all.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

They were homemade.  First time I ever made potato chips.  I have a new mandoline so I figured I'd try it out. The idea of dusting with parmesan I took from Delmonico's steakhouse in Las Vegas.  They serve a truffle parmesan chip that I absolutely love.  I didn't have any truffle oil, but I thought I'd try the parmesan.  They were really really good.  In fact, my guests ate them all.

Thanks. I often make my own chips but have never thought of sprinkling them with parmesan. I also do a recipe from Williams-Sonoma that calls for tossing them with a spicy mix that includes garlic, cayenne, and paprika among other things and these are very good, too.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The one thing I did learn about that, is that because parmesan is salty anyway, the chips don't need to be salted as much :biggrin::biggrin:

Marlene

The one thing I did learn about that, is that because parmesan is salty anyway, the chips don't need to be salted as much :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Just made a batch and they are yummy. I did not add salt and I agree, they don't need any. I did not haul out Big Bertha (The Waring Pro) but did them in an electric fondue pot and it worked well.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Electric fondue pot! I totally love that idea for small batches. Glad you liked them!

Marlene

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow night I am hosting a family dinner. The dinner is in honour of my brother and this needs to be the best dinner ever. What we're trying to do here is create a special memory that will last forever.

So Prime Rib for sure, because it is my brother's favourite food and the first thing my father taught us both to cook, (and also because I happen to have one in my freezer :biggrin: ) and roast potatoes. Possibly a broccoli gratin. What I'm looking for is hors d'ouvres and dessert suggestions. I've thought about trying the mini cheese and bacon popovers again, but I'm open for other ideas and I've thought about possibly a simple chocolate mousse for dessert.

Much of our memories will of course be created by just being together, but I want the food to be outstanding and remembered. Suggestions?

Marlene

It sounds like a good time for some shellfish, if your brother enjoys it. Skewered, marinated, grilled shrimp/prawns perhaps? Baby crab cakes? Cucumber slices with wasabi creme fraiche, topped with a large shrimp and a dab of caviar? Pan seared scallops (ocean, not bay) served over a carrot and daikon salad? Oysters on the half shell?

Add Grand Marnier to the mousse for dessert, or time permitting between courses, a chocolate GM souffle?

Edited to add: Have a wonderful time no matter what you cook, take lots of photos and laugh often. I'm sure the memories will be precious.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

My brother is rather fond of shrimp, so some of those ideas sound great, and better than a boring shrimp cocktail. I've just discovered that his favourite dessert is raspberry pie. Sigh. Not only are raspberries out of season, but I've never made a raspberry pie in my life! Chocloate is sounding better all the time :biggrin:

Marlene

My brother is rather fond of shrimp, so some of those ideas sound great, and better than a boring shrimp cocktail.  I've just discovered that his favourite dessert is raspberry pie.  Sigh.  Not only are raspberries out of season, but I've never made a raspberry pie in my life!  Chocloate is sounding better all the time :biggrin:

Maybe a raspberry mousse would be nice; frozen raspberries are fine for this.

recipe (I wouls strain the seeds out of the raspberry puree before adding the gelatin.) You could serve with some nice whipped cream on top and crisp cookie alongside. Pepperidge Farm Pirouettes might be a nice idea if you don't feel like making some.

If you're stuck on chocolate, there is this chocolate raspberry mousse cake: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

OR - you could make it really easy on yourself and end the meal with a Chambord Coffee and put some chocolate curls on the whipped cream.

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not stuck on chocolate, I don't even like it that much! It just seems easier. I suppose I could use frozen raspberries to make a pie. Raspberry mousse sounds pretty good too.

Marlene

So far

Prime rib

Roast potatoes

Yorkies

Carnival Corn

When I suggested the broccoli to my brother, I could hear him wrinkling his nose, I swear. Then he said, what about that great corn dish you made us this summer, you know, the one with the bacon and peppers. It could only be Varmint's Carnival Corn. Its a bit rich, but so what.

Snowangel has convinced me to make her raspberry pie. At worst, my pie crust is always good for a giggle.

I need nibbles though. I think one cold and one hot.

Marlene

It's not in recipegullet yet, but with Dean's permission, I will put it there!

Marlene

I need nibbles though.  I think one cold and one hot.

Can blue cheese be a component of the hot nibble?

mmm....hot nibble

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

My brother is rather fond of shrimp, so some of those ideas sound great, and better than a boring shrimp cocktail.

Marlene, this is something I've made for classes. If he likes spicy foods, he might like these.

Shrimp skewers with spicy honey glaze

Juice of one large lime

2 red jalapeno peppers

1 teaspoon grated ginger root

1 clove garlic, minced

3 tablespoons honey

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional -- great if you have it; not essential)

1/4 teaspoon dried chile flakes (optional for more heat)

Puree everything together in a blender or small food processor and then simmer until thick -- you want to reduce it by a third or so. It should be enough glaze for a pound of shrimp. I paint the shrimp right before cooking, reserving a little of the glaze to spread on after cooking.

I need nibbles though.  I think one cold and one hot.

Can blue cheese be a component of the hot nibble?

mmm....hot nibble

It sure can!

Marlene

My brother is rather fond of shrimp, so some of those ideas sound great, and better than a boring shrimp cocktail.

Marlene, this is something I've made for classes. If he likes spicy foods, he might like these.

Shrimp skewers with spicy honey glaze

Juice of one large lime

2 red jalapeno peppers

1 teaspoon grated ginger root

1 clove garlic, minced

3 tablespoons honey

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional -- great if you have it; not essential)

1/4 teaspoon dried chile flakes (optional for more heat)

Puree everything together in a blender or small food processor and then simmer until thick -- you want to reduce it by a third or so. It should be enough glaze for a pound of shrimp. I paint the shrimp right before cooking, reserving a little of the glaze to spread on after cooking.

JAZ, he likes spicy foods, but has to be careful of them. This might work though.

Marlene

ok no shrimp. It sucked at the market. Now what?

Marlene

JAZ, he likes spicy foods, but has to be careful of them.  This might work though.

You could substitute some sliced red bell pepper for some or all of the jalapenos to cut back on the heat.

We ate, we laughed, we reminisced:

We started with a couple of nibbles, Cheddar Jelly Thumbprints and my husband's awesome brushetta:

gallery_6080_2704_52466.jpg

gallery_6080_2704_22359.jpg

Our main course was Prime Rib, Carnival Corn and Roast Potatoes. Instead of making Yorkshire pudding, we just had warmed dinner rolls because my brother loves them:

gallery_6080_2704_46444.jpg

gallery_6080_2704_38829.jpg

gallery_6080_2704_3366.jpg

gallery_6080_2704_21433.jpg

gallery_6080_2704_13029.jpg

Wine with dinner was a lovely Cotes du Rhone

Dessert was snowangel's Raspberry Pie. I used the pastry recipe from Bouchon and it was really easy to work with.

gallery_6080_2704_12943.jpg

Served with Hagen Das Vanilla Bean ice cream:

gallery_6080_2704_30807.jpg

I have made more spectacular dinners, but this one will always be special to me.

Marlene

Yay! Parties! Good job Marlene. What was the jelly in the cheddar thumbprints?

At the end of April (when my yard will be at its peak -- azaleas and gladiolas galore) I'll be the hostess of my book club for a late Sunday brunch. I'd prefer to have an evening gathering with cocktails galore, but getting the kiddies to bed at the same time makes that difficult.

I plan to repeat most of the menu we used for the baby's dedication in November, with modifications since I won't have hired help this time. :wink:

chilled shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce and mustard tarragon sauce

crudites with some kind of peppercorn herby dip

smoked ham and biscuits (pancetta sage? cheddar?)

champagne for mimosas, kir royales

Not sure about dessert -- maybe a pound cake and some nice fruit? We may have local strawberries then. Any suggestions?

Also, we're reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. If anyone has any theme oriented ideas for the menu, please suggest away!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

The jelly is Red Pepper Jelly.

If you are going to have some nice strawberries, then either a strawberry-rhubarb pie or a strawberry shortcake maybe?

Marlene

We had friends for dinner tonight. My mantra to them was, "we'll keep it simple, steaks,a salad baked potatoes. So this morning, I was up making bacon bits, salad dressing, tart tatin, croutons etc. Yes, lets keep this simple!

Because it's spring, and we were grilling we started with Margaritas and strawberry daquiris:

gallery_6080_2713_538.jpg

gallery_6080_2713_16006.jpg

We had a shrimp cocktail for nibbles. We were supposed to have brie fritters too, but somehow they kind of disintegrated while deep frying. I'm not really sure how that happened:

gallery_6080_2713_8837.jpg

Dinner was, grilled rib eyes, baked potatoes and ceasar salad. Condiments included bacon bits, sour cream and my homemade bbq sauce.

gallery_6080_2713_5644.jpg

gallery_6080_2713_50030.jpg

gallery_6080_2713_27670.jpg

Dessert was Tarte Tatin. I actually made this twice. The first time, it stuck, and wouldn't release. the second time I used a cast iron frying pan and it worked a dream:

gallery_6080_2713_76072.jpg

gallery_6080_2713_5725.jpg

Marlene