• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Tacos

JPipes

I grew up, in San Antonio, on a steady diet of great breakfast tacos after swim practice every morning...Abundio's, Las Palapas, etc. Even at TCU in Fort Worth, I managed to find some great breakfast tacos after practice...or with a Big Red to cure a hangover.

Since I've graduated and moved to Houston (for work, not by choice....but it's growing on me quickly), I can't find any place that compares to the breakfast tacos of my youth. They just ain't the same. Any tips on where to go?

We are glad that finally houston is "growing on you" :smile:...when it comes to mexican and Tex-Mex San Antonio has great offerings and I would like to think that so does Houston. So, first tell us, where have you tried Tacos and did not like them much? How are they different? Do you think maybe it's part nostalgia and part taste that tacos here "do not compare"? I personally like tacos at "La Mexicana" on Montrose (You should go there for Sunday breakfast) but many other Taquerias also offer pretty good tacos.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Try Villa Arcos on Navigation. Loyal clientele. Homemade flour tortillas, you can get them with anything breakfast-like (eggs, bacon, potatos, refried beans, etc.).

Any taqueria or taco truck in town sells breakfast tacos, but Villa Arcos seems a cut better.

Kerr.

Thanks for that, Kerr. A few years ago when I worked downtown, someone would offer to do a taco run on Friday mornings. We get every other Friday off, not everyone on the same schedule, so the crew was pretty sparse on Fridays and we were a pretty "loose" group. I have a feeling that this is where those tacos came from. The "taco runner" would have one of those little Igloo thingies and come back with it full of breakfast tacos. They were pretty darn good.

At home... Breakfast tacos were always the answer when I had a bunch of hungover kids laying around on my floors when my (grown... sort of) son lived with me. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hands down Villa Arcos on Navigation just east of Downtown. I always get the bacon super which is bacon, egg, potato, bean and cheese. The carne Guisada is also very good.

Taqueria Laredo on Washington has very good breakfast tacos as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've tried Goode Company Taqueria, Berry Hill, and this awesome taco truck next to my office this morning (I love that I have to order in spanish). I just couldn't find the obscure mom and pop shop that I would want to frequent.

It sounds like Villa Arcos is the place to be. One more reason to look forward to the weekend!

Hmmm... How can there be a "bad" breakfast taco?

My best memory of breakfast tacos is from a junky drive through joint in Eagle Pass in south Texas on the border. A friend of mine and I would attend the annual dove hunt at a friend's ranch. We would have to leave early on Sunday to make it back to Houston. We would wake up bleary eyed from the Saturday night festivities, walk the dogs (after we rousted them out of the bed in the cheap motel) and head out. The next stop was the taco place. My favorite was the taco that had everything... chorizo of unknown origin, potatoes, beans, eggs, cheese, and a searingly hot salsa to clear the head. The dogs got chorizo and egg. The dogs were also helpful in licking our hands clean of the red grease from the chorizo so we could just keep on adrivin'. Ah... Breakfast tacos. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

La Mexicana is good....

Another place, not so authentic but still delicious is mission burrito on west alabama near shepard. they only serve breakfast on weekends but it is quite tasty. Try the oj. I can only recommend the corn tortillas (they double them for durability)

-pk

La Mexicana is good....

Another place, not so authentic but still delicious is mission burrito on west alabama near shepard.  they only serve breakfast on weekends but it is quite tasty.  Try the oj.  I can only recommend the corn tortillas (they double them for durability)

-pk

I think that what those Eagle Pass tacos had over others I have had is that they did use fresh corn tortillas. They were obviously hand made as well. Oh... Man... Does anywhere here do fresh, handmade, corn tortillas? What I see is mostly flour tortillas. they are not a bad thing at all. But fresh corn adds a whole 'nother dimension.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 2 weeks later...
I like Fiesta Tacos on W. 34th and Mangum.  Best Chorizo, Egg and Cheese tacos you can find.

Great tip! That is on the way to my sister's house.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"