• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Steel-cut oats, toasted a bit before cooking, topped with brown sugar, frozen blackberries and blueberries that had been heated through with some cinnamon, and cold milk. Moka-pot coffee to accompany, as usual.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Yesterday, Dear Hubby's annual b-day brunch. We usually have it on Superbowl Sunday, and everybody can go home and vegg out in front of their own TV's while we take a nap and eat leftovers for dinner. That would have made it fall in February this year, so we settled on last-Sunday-of-January. And forget the nap. One guest, a loquacious bachelor friend, stayed til after 6.

Hubby baked a lovely ham on the Webber for about four hours, and it fell in juicy creamy-pink slices, just floating off the knife onto the platter. I made a broccoli/bacon/Jack quiche, a red and yellow pepper fritatta, a carb-treasure of a hashbrown casserole, laden with coarse-grated Colby and Gruyere.

Hearts of baby romaine with raita; bocconcini, grape tomato and basil salad; tiniest steamed baby carrots in lemon vinaigrette. A cut-glass cakestand with strawberries like fat rubies circling a bowl of ricotta sprinkled with Turbinado sugar; a tall compote filled with bright golden sticks of fresh pineapple. A thick rope of Kielbasa roasted skin-crackly and full of savory juices, served with Rothschild's grainy raspberry honey mustard; cathead biscuits in a big black skillet, with homemade threeberry jam.

Dear Daughter made a fresh peach cobbler and a Caillebaut ganache birthday cake. Endless latte from my new Senseo, Kona blue in the French press, iced tea in tall goblets.

Everyone stayed for hours, til almost twilight, then went home to either a carb coma or a cheese seizure. 'Twasn't breakfast, but 'twill serve.

I hardly ever eat breakfast, but on a solo snowy Sunday morning it seemed like a good idea. Two eggs scrambled with Jarlsberg, 4 slices of Nueske's Canadian bacon, a multi-grain Thomas' English muffin, coffee with half and half. Then out to shovel!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I had some eggwhites left over (with traces of yolk in it so no good for meringue) and I made an eggwhite omelet for breakfast.

After seeing many health-conscious people order this in movies and tv shows, I wondered if I would like it.

Now I know.. I don't.

I had some eggwhites left over (with traces of yolk in it so no good for meringue) and I made an eggwhite omelet for breakfast.

After seeing many health-conscious people order this in movies and tv shows, I wondered if I would like it.

Now I know.. I don't.

LOL, I'm with you!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Now I know.. I don't.

I agree--but if I need to use up some whites and don't have time to use them for something else I'll do it. They're a lot better if you add a least one whole egg in--say, 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've been eating a lot of eggs for breakfast lately, well, actually a lot of eggs in general lately. When I can pick up 36-packs of eggs for $2.50 at Costco, they become a very economical protein source.

One thing I have liked to do is to make scrambled eggs with sour cream instead of whipping cream or water as the added 'liquid'. It gives them a very creamy texture, and a nice tang. I also do mine over very high heat, I basically just whisk the eggs together with the sour cream, some salt, and some pepper, get some butter to the brown stage in an ultra hot pan, pour in the egg mixture and rapidly swirl with a spatula for about 15 - 25 seconds, that's all it takes, and they come out great every time.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I've been eating a lot of eggs for breakfast lately, well, actually a lot of eggs in general lately.  When I can pick up 36-packs of eggs for $2.50 at Costco, they become a very economical protein source. 

One thing I have liked to do is to make scrambled eggs with sour cream instead of whipping cream or water as the added 'liquid'.  It gives them a very creamy texture, and a nice tang.  I also do mine over very high heat, I basically just whisk the eggs together with the sour cream, some salt, and some pepper, get some butter to the brown stage in an ultra hot pan, pour in the egg mixture and rapidly swirl with a spatula for about 15 - 25 seconds, that's all it takes, and they come out great every time.

I will try that, thanks. It sounds good. (You come up with great breakfast ideas. :smile: )

NulloModo, oh my, your sour cream scrambled eggs sound mighty delicious, I will have to try them also.

gallery_11814_353_225823.jpg

This morning I'm having roti canai and cafe au lait. Basically, Ling's scallion pancake recipe sans the onions. Drizzled with melted butter, these are a good way to start the day!

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

It began last night with this:

Grits, white and yellow, freshly ground, stirred into boiling water.

gallery_17399_60_42023.jpg

at 20 minutes they have absorbed a lot of water:

gallery_17399_60_104055.jpg

at 40 minutes they are done:

gallery_17399_60_35522.jpg

Poured into a loaf pan to cool overnight:

gallery_17399_60_19546.jpg

This morning, sliced, lightly dredged with flour and into browned butter on the griddle:

gallery_17399_60_54034.jpg

nearly done:

gallery_17399_60_18744.jpg

Finished, ready to plate and eat with eggs, bacon and/or sausage and maple syrup or ??

gallery_17399_60_85502.jpg

Very tasty! My housekeeper, originally from Hungary, had never heard of grits but has taken to them with great enthusiasm. Indeed, she has sent some home to her mother and brothers with explicit instructions on how they are to be stored (freezer) and cooked.

Often I place the freshly made grits in a small gratin dish, make a hollow in the middle and add a couple of poached eggs topped with shredded ham. This is her favorite but the fried comes in a very close second.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That grits recipe looks great, have to try it soon. I confess I only ever had grits once, at Disney World, I think.

My breakfast was rather pedestrian, pancakes, bacon, chunky applesauce on the side. Trying to get the bacon out of the house before Lent.

I grew up on grits. My dad's family called them grits, however in my grandfather's home, where I was born and raised (mother's side) they were called hominy because the cook was from the Carolina lowcountry where the meal was called grist (never grits) and the cooked stuff was called hominy, something peculiar to Charleston and surrounds.

As I visited back and forth, I was sometimes a bit confused when I was very young, but finally learned that grits and hominy were one and the same on the breakfast table. Hominy as a vegetable was something else.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Lovely. If I hadn't already planned something a bit different, I would be scrambling now.

Before I went to bed last night I took a batch of cinnamon/walnut bread out of the freezer.

Early this morning I knocked it down, shaped it and popped it into a (slightly too small) pan allowed it to rise again and popped it into the Sharp convection oven (it revolves as it is also a microwave).

Here it is in the oven:

gallery_17399_60_122533.jpg

just out of the oven, still in the pan:

gallery_17399_60_149022.jpg

Now out of the pan so it can cool:

gallery_17399_60_108000.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat - we are going to toast it lightly.

gallery_17399_60_64146.jpg

Doesn't that look good? You should smell the aroma!

Brunch today after a long walk/run was first, a glass of Victory Storm King Impy Stout. :wub:

Then we had soft scrambled eggs with sour cream and caviar, potatoes fried in chicken fat, bagels and lox and the trimmings, and cheap bubbly (to match up nicely with that cheap caviar). It tasted wonderful, though.

gallery_13038_576_29386.jpg

gallery_13038_576_118156.jpg