• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Looks good andiesenji....did you make the dough yourself or is it from a readymade mixture?

Made from scratch.

The batch makes 4 good-sized loaves. I usually divide it into loaf portions and freeze them after the first rise. The dough keeps well in the freezer for about a month.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Brunch today after a long walk/run was first, a glass of Victory Storm King Impy Stout.

Then we had soft scrambled eggs with sour cream and caviar, potatoes fried in chicken fat, bagels and lox and the trimmings, and cheap bubbly (to match up nicely with that cheap caviar).  It tasted wonderful, though.

wow Susan I could have your brunch for dinner!!

Hi pattimw!  Thank you, yes -- the pancakes are very light and fluffy, and above all very easy to make:

Blueberry Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1 beaten egg

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp. melted cooled butter

4 oz. fresh blueberries

Mix the first four ingredients (dry)  together.

Blend together the wet ingredients then add to the the dry all at once.  Stir just until slightly lumpy, you don't want the batter to be too smooth.

Pour about 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot lightly buttered skillet/griddle.  Then drop blueberries into pancakes - I used about 6-8 blueberries for each pancake. Flip when bubbles have burst.  I like high sides on my pancakes and I get them fairly high with this recipe.

The batter makes about 8 pancakes. This morning I had them with warmed maple syrup but they're extra special with blueberry syrup! Didn't have enough to make some! :sad:

That is the same recipe I use (except my original called for oil instead of butter, which works great) and it makes the BEST pancakes! :smile:

Mukki, I think that's a very good and easy pancake recipe, have you tried it using buttermilk? Real comfort breakfast fare!

This was a special request from my husband:

gallery_11814_148_12820.jpg

Roti paratha fried in french butter together with an egg on top. Thanks again, Ling, for that scallion pancake recipe! :wink:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Then we had soft scrambled eggs with sour cream and caviar, potatoes fried in chicken fat, bagels and lox and the trimmings, and cheap bubbly (to match up nicely with that cheap caviar).  It tasted wonderful, though.

gallery_13038_576_29386.jpg

Whoa... sorry to go a few posts back, but that looks fantastic. I'm a sucker for roe & caviar, though; is it wrong to ask what you spent on it? Eggs looking that beautiful and edible and purportedly cheap are always something I'm looking to get my hands on.

By the way, you could fry my hand in chicken fat and I'd eat it with a grin.

Editing to say: by 'eggs looking that beautiful' I mean to refer to the fish ones, not the chicken would-bes. :wink:

Edited by jrt (log)

This morning it was an omelet made from last night's left-over Mu Shu Pork.

Very tasty and a bit spicy!

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Whoa... sorry to go a few posts back, but that looks fantastic.  I'm a sucker for roe & caviar, though; is it wrong to ask what you spent on it?  Eggs looking that beautiful and edible and purportedly cheap are always something I'm looking to get my hands on.

Not wrong at all... It was just the Romanoff Whitefish, I think it was seven or eight dollars for two ounces. We noticed how nice looking those eggs were as soon as we opened the jar. I think it was better than usual this time.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Scrambled eggs w/green onions, cilantro and smoked duck

gallery_21049_162_48148.jpg

OK, its been a while since I had some smoked duck for breakfast and this poor little smoked duck breast was sitting in my freezer for some time (expiration date a month away).

I wanted to add some greens to the eggs and already had some chopped up green onions and cilantro (mixed together), so I decided to sauté them in some duck fat and add them to the eggs. Topped with some chives from my herb garden.

Another good thing about this thread is that there is natural light during the daytime for photos!

gallery_13038_576_82983.jpg

I'm working on my close ups, so I tried a Percy Style Scrambled Egg Photo. I also tried for the first time adding some cream cheese to them. Very good! With them, the potatoes were fried in chicken fat again.

gallery_13038_576_101540.jpg

All Florida-grown fruits

gallery_13038_576_115861.jpg

And, my shot of edible flowers from our garden, which served as the centerpiece on this morning's table.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Looks good, as always!  I look forward to the weekends for your breakfast and dinner posts. 

Me too (this is percyn she's talking about).

Today I caught myself thinking when I switched on the computer: "Ah, it's weekend, I wanna see a percyn egg-close-up".

But Susan, it looks like percyn is getting some egg-close-up-competition!! great photo!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Now I'm craving blueberries. Those ones in your picture look especially plump and juicy.  :smile:

me too! and, living in Canada, it'll be about 6 months until I see any local ones around here :sad:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Looks good, as always!  I look forward to the weekends for your breakfast and dinner posts. 

Me too (this is percyn she's talking about).

Today I caught myself thinking when I switched on the computer: "Ah, it's weekend, I wanna see a percyn egg-close-up".

But Susan, it looks like percyn is getting some egg-close-up-competition!! great photo!

Awwwhhh... :wub::wub:

You know, I don't have a patent pending on the close-up photography, so feel free to use that method :rolleyes: .

I like it because it is an interesting perspective of the meals we cook/eat, which is normally not evident to us but perhaps to our pets (no wonder they beg so much) :wink:

Today was one of those rare occasions when my wife wanted me to make her some breakfast too, so I made her some scrambled eggs (a bit stiffer than I normally like it) w/ green onions, cream cheese and cheddar, with a side of Canadian Bacon and Waffles (store bought).

gallery_21049_162_16867.jpg

I had an omelet with green onions (scallions), cilantro, Italian flat leaf parsley, shitake mushrooms and some Fourme D'Ambert, which in hind-sight, I should have cut back on a bit, so as not to over-power the dish.

gallery_21049_162_57007.jpg

gallery_21049_162_19209.jpg

We also enjoyed a sweet, juicy pineapple I cut up

gallery_21049_162_23410.jpg

Cheers

Percy

P.S : Bring out that macro camera lens if you have one.

Edited by percyn (log)

At 10:00 a.m. this morning I began a 24-hour fast, required for a medical test, among a battery of several I will have tomorrow.

When something like this is in the offing, one does need to stoke up a bit on something that will keep one feeling satisfied for some time.

So, I made corncakes:

gallery_17399_60_62121.jpg

gallery_17399_60_142180.jpg

gallery_17399_60_94468.jpg

gallery_17399_60_166042.jpg

I also had earlier cooked some homemade bratwurst. (please excuse the variable sized sausages, I was doing it without help and occasionally one got away from me or I twisted one a bit short, and this was the end of the batch. The brats are simmered in apple juice for 40 minutes. They are then fully cooked and can be eaten as is or incorporated into a dish.

gallery_17399_60_59097.jpg

I cut them into thin slices, sauteed them and then added eggs to make an omelet.

I forgot to take photos of the omelet as I was trying to get it finished while the corncakes were still hot.

Yummy! Now I can survive until tomorrow evening with nothing but water.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Impressive, Andie!  That is quite an ambitious undertaking.  It all looks really good.

I hope your tests turn out OK.  What will be the first thing you eat after that long fast?  :biggrin:

I don't know yet if I will have any restrictions on the types of foods I can have.

I dreamed about food all night, not eating, but preparing.

For some really strange reason, I found myself in Australia, visiting with friends and being asked to prepare some really odd things but can't recall now what they were. Weird

:blink:

(I have never been to Oz.)

The other dream had me in an enormous kitchen, sort of like the one in "The Great Race" (the Tony Curtis/Jack Lemmon/Natalie Wood one).

more weird :wacko:

The oddest thing was that I never got to taste anything - every time I was going to try something, I was interrupted. Frustrating, even in dreams.

My typical breakfast is toast. Diana and Peter (the big and little kids) decide what they want to eat in the am). Heidi has BF at school at part of OT.

But, for Diana, Peter and I, toast is our most favorite.

This morning was especially beautiful. We had a heavy, wet snow last night, so when I woke and opened the shades to the door on the deck, this is what I saw:

gallery_6263_35_121447.jpg.

For breakfast (this is merely 1/2 slice; the slices are too big for the toaster, so we cut them in half), we had toasted Acme sourdough. I washed mine down with Peet's darkest and greasiest beans. My mom has just returned from Berkeley, and brought us a duffle bag of Acme and a very nice stash of Petes.

Toast. I love it. I could live on it, and did, throughout a miserable pregnancy.

gallery_6263_35_446593.jpg.

The butter is Hope Butter.

I hope I remember to post photos of a typical weekend breakfast in our house!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"