• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

Who Cut the Cheese? :unsure:

Actually you might want to call it something simple like: Glenn's

Personally I like Melt. Let's go to Melt's? I don't know about that. People will drop the "t" and start calling it Mel's.

You can always call it Glenn's Top Five :wink: and change the top five sandwiches each week (or month, or whenever you feel like it.)

Best of luck to you, whatever you call it.

i think that's brilliant.  you might be on to something.  if not the name, at least a gimmick of sorts.

So what are your top 5 or 10 or 2 or whatever? The only rule: no common stuff like cheddar, american, muenster, provolone or jack unless it's in a combo. Combos are not only allowed, but welcome. The present plan calls for a cheese of the week, or until I run out of it.

So what are your top 5 or 10 or 2 or whatever?  The only rule:  no common stuff like cheddar, american, muenster, provolone or jack unless it's in a combo.  Combos are not only allowed, but welcome.  The present plan calls for a cheese of the week, or until I run out of it.

i kinda thought you'd be coming up with the ideas for the actual food. :laugh:

i think that's brilliant.  you might be on to something.  if not the name, at least a gimmick of sorts.

I'm not sure about how this quote stuff works, but thank you tommy. Brilliant, hey, I like that. (That's what happens when I don't sleep.)

If you're going to be changing your "top 5" every so often, it doesn't really matter which cheeses you use, since eventually you'll be changing them to something else anyway. Actually, you can have some sort of a contest. Change your top 5 every week or so, keep track of which ones are the best sellers, and those can eventually become your real "top 5," chosen by your customers. How's that?

Grilled brie with sliced pears!!! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Per Marlena Spieler: "And a slightly aged, yet still creamy and soft, goat cheese paired with walnuts, then pressed into a panini, is one of the most enticing treats you could find on the streets of Paris today."

So I guess you'll have to go to Paris if you want goat cheese :) Or Melt. I so much wanna try everything. The classics will always be on the menu. The idea is to change around the fancy cheeses. But the real test actually begins tomorrow when I start working on the menu and seeing if from a cost standpoint which cheeses makes sense. I don't know the cost of a suitable goat cheese, but would you pay in the neighborhood of $10 for such a sandwich?

For business demographics I love "Melt". If it's a more youthfull clientelle maybe something like "Phat's" or "Sick Shakes".

I think I am going through a mid life crisis...

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I don't know the cost of a suitable goat cheese, but would you pay in the neighborhood of $10 for such a sandwich?

Well, it's cheaper than going to Paris, but bottom line is this: I can't see spending ten bucks on a grilled cheese sandwich. Yes, I understand, good bread, great cheese, special stuff, etc. It still sounds like a lot.

Would it come with any sides? A coke? French fries maybe?

I still have to cost this out and figure out a way to make it work. I have no idea at this point how - I need to crunch the numbers. I don't anticipate making anywhere near the profit I would on something like cheddar, but as long as I'm not losing money, I'll find a way to make it work.

My assumption is that I'll have 2 different kinds of markets. Customers that are cost conscious and those with a sophisticated palette AND don't mnd spending some loot. It remains to be seen whether there are enough people in the latter category when it comes to grilled cheese.

i like ooze and ahhs

I know I suggested "ooze and ahhs" but I have to say that "ooze" isn't always appetizing.

What about "Frosty Melts" or "Melted and Frosty"

or "Grilled-n-Chilled" (did someone already say that?)

Or "gooey goodness" or "gooey cheese n' shakes"

or "Grill'm"

or "Grillers and Shakers"

or just "Grillers"

...ok...that's enough for now :smile:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

something i made for lunch this weekend, and something that was inspired by Landmarc in NYC (and no doubt a typical sandwich either way): country style ham (whatever that is...just not boar's head) with melted gruyere, on grilled french bread. Landmarc adds an egg on top, i added chives, both are open face. but i don't see why this couldn't work closed, with more emphasis on the cheese...or less on the ham i suppose.

Do I have to do EVERYTHING?

fontina

beaufort

french yogurt

aged gouda

mezza secco

If it's genuine Italian fontina, not that ersatz Danish crap, throw some good prosciutto on it & I'd pay $7 or $8 for it. $10 seems steep but that might just be my perception.

Are you going to offer beverages other than shakes? (Sorry if this was covered earlier, I've been away.) I could see stopping at Melt for a sandwich OR a shake, depending on time of day, but no way for both at the same time, it's overload.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Are you going to offer beverages other than shakes?  (Sorry if this was covered earlier, I've been away.)  I could see stopping at Melt for a sandwich OR a shake, depending on time of day, but no way for both at the same time, it's overload.

I keep wavering on exactly what other refreshments to offer. For the time being, I plan to inlcude egg creams and fountain sodas (pop), as well as home made iced tea, lemonade and fruit punch. However, in the end I might scale back on the fountain sodas and egg creams and just offer specialty sodas not available in most places. The final decision mostly depends on the space.

The specialty sodas seem to work. Most towns in Maine these days seem to have 1 or 2 sort of nouveaux lunch places that offer somewhat upscale sandwiches & a good selection of specialty sodas along with the usual Coke stuff. At least from outward appearances they seem to be thriving. That kind of selection disposes me to return to these places.

I was recently turned down for a system analyst job on the JC waterfront. Pity, I'd have loved to be in the area & be able to grab lunch at Melt! Wishing you a ton of luck with the endeavor.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

When we were out in SF we ate at the Hog Island Oyster Company at the ferry building market place. 1/2 the patrons at the oyster bar werent eating oysters but grilled cheese, so of course we had to try one. It was fantastic, it was called a rustic grilled cheese with Fromage Blanc, Mezzo Secco and Cave Aged Gruyere on fresh sourdough.

Your place regardless of what you decide to call it will be a hit. Good luck Glenn.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

• 3 weeks later...