• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

Opening day? I'm still looking for a space :). Seriously, I have a space which I'm seriously considering and will put in an offer on Monday in all likelihood. If I go ahead with it, it won't exactly be the original vision I had, but similar. At this point, I can't really say anything else pending the outcome.

Thanks for the good wishes. Stupid me forgot to thank the real hero, the guy who thought up the name, wfnugent. Thank you thank you thank you. The 10th sandwich you order is on the house. :) But loads of thanks to everyone. Just so you know, I had to submit 3 names with the application. The other 2 were JCGC & Shake and Glenn's Melt.

I was JUST about to ask if wfnugent gets free grilled cheese and shakes for life, Glenn!!! :raz:

Congrats. Great name--can't wait to try the goods!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

"Many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese -- toasted, mostly."

Robert Louis Stevenson

...and now I know where to find it.

The whole Nugent family awaits the grand opening. My kids think I am really cool now.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I offer a toast to the success of Melt. With a such a great name it's got to do well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

a toast to the success of Melt

OOOH, but that's a good one, Bloviatrix! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

Did you think this was over? :))

Eglutton's very own wfnugent came up with the name, "Melt," the name of my Jersey City cafe [coming soon!] And there were some super duper runners up [runner ups?] So, in addition to saying BIGTIME thanks once again, I was hoping I could tap into the talented resources here and come up with a slogan for the cafe. I'm approaching deadline - I need to finalize a slogan within the next few days so I can use it on my outdoor sign - and nothing others and myself have come up with really strikes me like Melt did.

First, let me tell you what Melt is all about. Simplicity, quality food, unique, affordable, and fun. Those are the basic premises of Melt. For lack of better terms, the food will be modern retro, 21st century comfort food. There will be a limited number of menu items in keeping with the simplicity concept. The main product will be a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches (15) – the classics as well as upscale cheeses with a thick-sliced bread from one of the highest rated NY bakeries served with wonderful and different toppings, i.e., Indian chutneys. Also served will be milk shakes, french fries, soup, pastries, bagels, nostalgic/modern sodapop [think, Jones and the like], salads, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. A lot of research has gone into every single item (including the coffee and tea) that will be served in order to either differentiate Melt from everyone else and/or to offer the best quality possible at an affordable price. There will also be free wifi access.

LOCATED in gentrified (think Williamsburg) downtown Jersey City, the target market is middle and upper middle class people 20 – 40 years old as well as families with children. [weekday lunch will be mainly delivery, and, while that's a whole other demographic, I don't know if it needs to be considered for these purposes.]

The slogan should be fairly clear about what Melt is all about. Something along the lines of “Modern Retro Food,” or “Modern Comfort Food” – with different wording. Or, “Happy Food.” I really don’t like the term “comfort” and am not crazy about “retro.” I think both terms are overused.

Here's what I've come up with, though nothing strikes me....

Nouveau Retro

Nouveau Comfort

Better than Mom's

Like Mom's with More

Memory Lane Cafe (time travelers welcome)

The New Hudson Cafe

Hudson Mordern cafe

Simply Tantalizing Modern Cafe

Many thanks!

Like Mom's, Only Better

But my initial thought was some sort of riff off of Modern English's Melt With You.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Putting the "F" back in Fun

Because Everyone Said We Were Crazy

It's Unique, C'mon, Get your ass inside

Hot Drinks, Hot Sandwiches, Hot Women

Our Grilled Cheese is Better Than Sex

Let's Face It, You Really Have No Idea Where To Eat

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hot Drinks, Hot Sandwiches, Hot Women

Our Grilled Cheese is Better Than Sex

ah yes, Jason, of course ... something lustful and lascivious will get 'em going .. every time! :hmmm:

Melting Moments to Treasure? :rolleyes:

We love to see you Melt!

You deserve a Melt today!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Grilled Cheese, Hot Drinks, Free Psychoanalysis

Grilled Cheese, Hot Drinks, Free Tax Consulting

Grilled Cheese, Hot Women, No Questions Asked

An Orgasm Between Two Slices of Bread

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Grilled Cheese, Hot Drinks, Free Psychoanalysis

This reminds me of the thread on "what your condiment choice says about you" ...

concluding that selection of a condiment was equally as good as a therapist ...

why do you think they call it The Mayo Clinic? was my reply ... :hmmm:

An Orgasm Between Two Slices of Bread
:shock: I don't think I have ever tried that position! Grill your cheese, sailor?? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Melt: The Grilled Cheese Experience

Melt: Its Cheesegasmic!!!

Melt: We Take Our Cheesegasms Seriously

Melt: Ooey, Gooey, Oh Yeah.

From solid to liquid in 4.5 seconds

Tomorrow, yesterday, cheese

Tomorrow... yesterday... the best elements of both

Nouveau Sentimental

New Vintage

Vintage Future

Future meeting past between two slices of bread

Not yer mom, but da bomb

The best thing since sliced bread