• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food Diary -Study in Italy

Ore

Ore.. if you are still in Israel, have you had SABRA to drink.. it was my favorite after dinner drink when I was there... AHHHHHHHHHHHH 30 years ago.. chocolate orange liquore, named for the Israeli's born in Israel..

I went crazy over the spices for sale in the market of the old city of Jeruselem

Ciao,

Just got back from Israel yesterday. I am in Jesi now, near Ancona, and I leave on Saturday to my new stage. I will be working at Al Vedel in Colorno (near Parma). I hear they make some great Salumi and that is what I will be focusing most of my time on. Do look forward to a new 'blog' about that. Thanks for reading!!

Ciao,

Ore

Ore,

I am looking forward to this very much. What kind of salumi are they particularly known for?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Ore,

Looking forward to this as well. Of course just thinking about salumi has now made me very hungry! How was Israel? Any meals of note you'd like to share with us?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 3 weeks later...

Ciao,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still around - I have been working near Parma - in a Salumeria/Ristorante named Al Vedel. I am working out some technical things but hopefully soon will be posting regularly again...

Ciao,

Ore

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao Tutti,

Just an update...I started a real BLOG - it is at...

www.PotentialGold.com

Everything here is great. I am still making the Salumi. Yesterday was Cotecchino day - lots of fun - we made about 150 kilos of cotecchino - mostly for our own use here at the restaurant. It's the only thing that we make here with Nitrates - everything else is salt, pepper and spices. The nitrates are used at the most minimal level and help keep that nice red color when the cotecchino is cooked -

Check out my site...let me know what you think!

Ciao,

Ore

(PS - I am dining at Enoteca Pinchiori in Firenze on Feb. 26th - cool huh!?!)

Ciao Tutti,

Just an update...I started a real BLOG - it is at...

www.PotentialGold.com

Everything here is great.  I am still making the Salumi.  Yesterday was Cotecchino day - lots of fun - we made about 150 kilos of cotecchino - mostly for our own use here at the restaurant.  It's the only thing that we make here with Nitrates - everything else is salt, pepper and spices.  The nitrates are used at the most minimal level and help keep that nice red color when the cotecchino is cooked -

Check out my site...let me know what you think!

Ciao,

Ore

(PS - I am dining at Enoteca Pinchiori in Firenze on Feb. 26th - cool huh!?!)

Nice blog Ore, looking forward to more posts. I only hope this does not mean you will disappear from this forum now that you have your own place on the web :wink: .

Let us know what you thought about Pinchiorri when you get back. It's definitely one of those places people cannot seem to agree about, either great or pretentious, which makes a further opinion from someone with cooking experience in Italy such as yours even more stimulating.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Ciao,

Def. not disappearing from teh gullet - this place is like home to me - it was my start and I love eG (ma tu conosco perche). I agree about the Pinchiorri Phenomenon - maybe that is what I will call the post!!

I contacted the Diva, divina, and she will be showing me around on Saturday - it should be a food and wine filled weekend - I can't wait!

Ore

Ore, Good luck with your blog, but we need to see some of that salumi here - after all that is the next best thing to tasting it! What is the significance of the name of your blog? Does it relate to food?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The naming was up for a 'contest' on another site and basically I let others name it. I didn't mind! The winner found some kind of relation between my name and the French significance for Gold - Or - or Ore - or something like that - I get into it a bit on the first post.

As for the salumi - seeing it will have to be there for now (Mi dispiace per scrivere questo!) - My 10 MB are up -

Ciao,

Ore

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao,

So, this weekend (tomorrow) is the Florence trip. Here on eG it seems like it is all about Florence so I am glad to be making the trip and meeting up with a few other eGulleters and foodie friends!! Plans are still on for Enoteca Pinchiorri on Saturday evening.

I am in italy with my knives, my Danskos and my backpack - there is no way I've got a dress coat in my pack but from what I hear they (Pinchiorri) will gladly let me 'use' one for the evening (sucks!). So, look forward to picks on my blog (in Sig.).

The other day I put up some great photos on how to de-bone a Prosciutto di Parma - aged 36 months in our cantina.

Ciao,

Ore

• 2 weeks later...

Got to say Ciao to everyone. I met up with Alberto last weekend. He came here and had dinner (Al Vedel) and I showed him around the salumeria. The next night we went together to Dal Pescatore for a great meal.

Pics and more info here

Ciao,

Ore

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it's time for an update...

The blog is going well...I am sure you can find links for it elsewhere. I am two weeks away from ending my 'staging' experience in italy. My visa is up in May, I am taking off a bit short of my year, but I feel confident in what I have learned both here in Parma (Al Vedel) and in Nusco (La Locanda di Bu).

The time was great and I would reccomend anyone who is interested in Italy and its cuisine just take off, if you can...and yes, it's hard...especially when every month 600 dollars are due to the student loans...thanks dad...although I hate asking.

Please don't hesitate to ask anything...I would love to help.

Ciao,

Ore

PS...Los Angeles seems to be my final stop, some time around May 10th, 2005.

Ciao,

Yes, I will be in Jesi this weekend and will actually be meeting up with Angelo Recchi on Sunday...something about Tagliatelle...sounds interesting.

The website for the Slow Food School in Jesi is www.italcook.it

Check that out for more info about what and where Jesi is, and what we are talking about.

Ore

PS = I will keep posting once back in the US but I do think this Dinosaur of a thread will die out just like the others. Maybe Hathor or another student will replace me, and make a thread even better. That would be nice too!

Judy,

Yes...Hathor is in Jesi, I hope to meet up on Thursday and Friday.

That place you told me about in Sienna, Le Logge, really was a quasi awful meal. It isn't your fault though, all your recs. were great, I just think the place had an off night because every one says this is THE place in Sienna.

If it was up to me, I would have gone to TanaB's place...but I was with six other Italians, not foreigners, and our meal was blahh.

I haven't caught up yet with the blog, but I will get there. How is Firenze??

Ore

PS - Hathor, if you make your way over, you have to meet up with Divina! Lots of fun!!

Ore, this is a great topic that you started. I am looking forward to its continuation by Hathor. There remains so much more to see and learn. If only we could smell and taste here as well.

Twitter - @docsconz

Ore definitely did a great job by keeping this blog going...for better or worse he's Italcook's most valuable marketing tool in the U.S. right now.

I've posted the pictures of my experience here in Italia thus far; the 2 month stage I did at La Locanda di Bu (the same place Ore staged) before beginning the Italcook program just a couple of weeks ago. Much of what you'll see is probably similar or the same as what Ore chronicled, and I don't expect to achieve his level of "bravo-ness", but I'm posting everything I photograph nonetheless for anyone who'd like to take a look. I don't mean to supplant Hathor's showcasing of pictures, as I'm sure they're better than mine.

Dorpsch

My photo record

Don't sell yourself short. Your photos are fine, although they are easier to see and respond to when posted directly on the site. I look forward to your contributions, hathor's and anyone else who might keep us informed about this wonderful program. It will be interesting to see how it evolves over time.

Twitter - @docsconz

Ciao tutti! I will try and get some sort of update/photos whatever in the next week or so. But...I'm having really rotten, horrible, very bad computer problems and am currently working off of a computerabout the size of a file card. And I'm too damn old to be looking at a screen this small.

We just finished 2 days of working with the chef from Locanda di Bu, and he was great. Wonderful sense of food and a really love for his 'terroire'. We had fun. Eat your heart out.

Lunch was: the best eggplant parmigiana ever (sounds like a goofy dish to make from an American perspecptive, but it was light and wonderful), a potato/cheese dish, and pasta with fresh tomato, anchovies and fresh ricotta. Then came the baccala with tomatoes...and pork with some sort of bitter peppers.

After lunch we ate some rabbit that had deep, concentrated flavors and baba au rhum.

Most of the crew has gone off to play some soccer and work off the meal. I'm off to Umbria to plant some trees.

Enjoy the weekend!