• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food network chef comes by for dinner!

Chris Cognac

Well, I was minding my own business at home working on my dinner when I got a call from an "unnamed" chef with a show on food network, whom I had written about in the past. he wanted to stop by my house and drop off some t shirts....anyway to make a long story short, he ends up staying for dinner...My wife was mortified, the kids were screaming and the whole bit...I had to call my wife out of the den to come and speak with this guy....Luckily the chef had stumbled into one of my "tapas" nights and I was ready with 7 different dishes...So we ate, I drank martini's and promtly spilled them all over myself like a full on slob and my kids squirted him with water guns (its hot out at the moment)...

So, messy house, children of the corn, drunken slob host (me), but great food and a fun time with great stories on how his show got started and the inner workings of filming etc...he had a great time and so did we....But, wow what an unexpected suprise...he stayed for 2 hrs!

So, you never know whats gonna happen in life, so be prepared with some great tapas!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Well that is certainly nifty. So you are a food-writer of some variety? Are those kinds of perks at all common?

Maybe if I dust off the word processor and knock off some reviews for some local papers Rachael Ray will show up on my doorstep...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Sounds like a night at my house! Hey, the entertainment is free :rolleyes:

Cool, indeed! You know you'll have to spill the details (and the name!) when we're all gorging ourselves on the 11th....or we could just ply you with beer and wine til you talk :wink:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Sounds like a night at my house! Hey, the entertainment is free :rolleyes:

Cool, indeed! You know you'll have to spill the details (and the name!) when we're all gorging ourselves on the 11th....or we could just ply you with beer and wine til you talk :wink:

He might be coming on the 11th!

The Hungry Detective

Was it Alton?

Nope, although I am going to dinner with him tonight, gonna show him what good California mexican food is like!

This guy is not a big celeb yet, but what a super nice guy, real down to earth...I will give a hint so we can make this fun.

The name of his show, is kinda like the name of my newspaper column!

The Hungry Detective

The name of his show, is kinda like the name of my newspaper column!

Chef Juan-Carlos Cruz?

Calorie Commando?

Man that was too easy....I was hoping to drag it out a bit!

He is a super nice guy, I think we are going to be roasting a pig in my backyard at the end of summer...he builds the oven and all that from scratch....mmmmmm roasted pig!

i8969.jpg

The Hungry Detective

Chris, between your vegetable shirt and Fat Guy's fish pants we've got the makings of quite an outfit. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Any more famous chefs beating a path to the Cognac domicile? We want full, unexpurgated lists and, until such time as we get them, we will camp out on your doorstep! :laugh: Clinton booksigning in your den by any chance??

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Chris, between your vegetable shirt and Fat Guy's fish pants we've got the makings of quite an outfit. :laugh:

The shirt is part of my "thing"...right now I have one on with Chips, Salsa, hotsauce and margarita's....there is a small company out here that has some amazing designs and i wear them for my food things...

That shot of Juan and I ran in the article I wrote....We both eally dug on it, its a giant wisk...he is a pastry chef and used to make giant batches of stuff, hence the giant wisk!

Now my mission is to get him on Iron Chef America as a challenger (he said he would do it)!

The Hungry Detective

Uh-oh! :shock: I must admit that I've never heard of this person before. I guess I just don't watch enough TV (not just FoodNetwork). I will be there for the eG dinner, but if he is there do you think he will be offended if I don't recognize him (yes I've seen his pic that you posted but don't have a clue as to what he does on TV)? If so, can someone give me some pointers--something to ask about/discuss?

Deb

Liberty, MO

If so, can someone give me some pointers--something to ask about/discuss?

Chef Juan-Carlos Cruz biography FN... and a little "background" as well

but, even better yet, here is his website: cruzinthekitchen.com :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Thanks, G-G. I'll be studying before the dinner.  :biggrin:

Way I see it, Deb? Everyone needs to be "prepared" before meeting someone like Chef Cruz, and reading his website is the very best background one can get! :biggrin:

Don't people today even self-Google?? :laugh: