• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing - Pot-Luck Picnic in Montrose Park

Busboy

When I was about 5 my family was spending the day at Montrose. At some point I decided I had to go to the bathroom. For those of you not familiar with the area, there is nothing around where you can go. At least not if you are a girl.

My father decided to take the opportunity to knock on Mrs. Graham's door to ask if his adorable daughter could use her bathroom. She very kindly let us in to use her restroom and gave me a cookie on the way out. :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Count us in. Two adults and two little ones.

I'll bring my two favorite potato salads. For those with Casas' Tapas, the ones with dill, capers, and fresh orange juice and the one with new potatoes, tuna and chopped cornichons.

And plenty of juice boxes. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Did this happen? I would have gone, but due to a screwup by the mental midgets at Comcast, I didn't have access to the internet this weekend, so I didn't know what was going on :sad:

Where are the pics?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I think this one was being planned for next month. There was supposed to be a BBQ stop yesterday, but no word on that either.

Edited to add - I see a few posts down that the BBQ trip did come off successfully.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I think this one was being planned for next month. There was supposed to be a BBQ stop yesterday, but no word on that either.

Edited to add - I see a few posts down that the BBQ trip did come off successfully.

Ooops, got my threads mixed up. Please disregard my post above. :wacko:

-- A.B.

OK, here's the count so far. I met malawry at the Dupont Farmer's market this weekend and we decided, in light of the presence of high quality BBQ we'd put off the chicken challenge in favor of something more summery, which we haven't decided on at this time.

Mnebergall -- BBQ

Malawry -- TBD

Busboy & Friends – TBD

Hillvalley – Salad

MR.& Mrs. mktye – Bread and Asian salad

Al Dente & Friend – TBD

hjshorter & Family – Potato salads and juice boxes

laniloa – dessert w/ chocolate, oatmeal-fruit bars

bilrus (?)

Still plenty of room at the picnic table, folks, and key food groups remain uncovered! And who better to appreciate the high quality and excellent taste of your favorite summer specialty -- and feed you theirs, in turn, than the DCeG crew?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

OK, here's the count so far. I met malawry at the Dupont Farmer's market this weekend and we decided, in light of the presence of high quality BBQ we'd put off the chicken challenge in favor of something more summery, which we haven't decided on at this time.

Mnebergall -- BBQ

Malawry -- TBD

Busboy & Friends – TBD

Hillvalley – Salad

MR.& Mrs. mktye – Bread and Asian salad

Al Dente & Friend – TBD

hjshorter & Family – Potato salads and juice boxes

laniloa – dessert w/ chocolate, oatmeal-fruit bars

bilrus (?)

Still plenty of room at the picnic table, folks, and key food groups remain uncovered! And who better to appreciate the high quality and excellent taste of your favorite summer specialty -- and feed you theirs, in turn, than the DCeG crew?

I will "not" be bringing any coleslaw for use on barbeque. I'm from Missouri and we do not use coleslaw on our barbeque. Plus, I don't like coleslaw. So, if anyone wants coleslaw with their barbeque, they had better look for their own source. Forewarned is forearmed.

I will be bringing some regular hamburger buns for the barbeque, unless the Gold Crust Bakery has something that I think would be better.

That's a lot of pressure on us.

I'll pull together what we've got lined up tonight and run by the park, to make sure it's ready for us, and send out a details tomorrow.

I'm on the pavement

The current forecast is for perfect picnic weather this Sunday, and even those who fear the stove can think in terms of tomato salad (unless HillValley wants to change her offering) or even a cheese run so that mkyte's extraordinary bread won't be under-utilized. Dessert might be appreciated, as well. Come on down!

Here's the list as it now stands:

Mnebergall -- BBQ

Busboy & Friends – Homemade sausage; grilled summer vegetables; peaches & sticky

Hillvalley – Salad

Mr.& Mrs. mktye – Bread and Asian salad

Al Dente & Friend – wings and Sangria

hjshorter & son – Potato salad, slaw and juice boxes

Edemuth -- market selection

Looks like 10 adults and three kids at this point.

Montrose Park is in Georgetown, on R Street between 28th and 32nd. We will set up the on the right side of the park as you face it from R street -- the cemetary side -- towards the kids playground. Call time is 2 PM though I will be getting there early to ensure that we have a table or two.

I'm on the pavement

Will there be grills available? Is anyone else using one? I'll bring some charcoal.

What is your sangria preference? Red or White?

And I see John W lurking in here-- you coming or what?

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

-- A.B.

I am going to swing by, hopefully this evening, and make certain, but there were grills extant last time I looked. I will also bring my mini-grill to supplement.

I'm on the pavement

My travel plans have changed so there's a good chance I'll be in attendance.

If I can make it, I'll bring some sort of dessert. :smile:

Does anyone know what the parking situation over there is? I assume it's just street as available, but I figured I'd ask.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Sorry that I'm going to miss it. Mrs. JPW and I had a blast at the last get-together in Malcolm X Park.

Have a drink for me. I'll be at home priming and painting :sad:

Peanut's room. :smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W