• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The hardest working meals?

GordonCooks

I peel them like oranges, but I also remove all membranes so that it's just pure grapefruit sections. I peel about ten grapfruit at a time ...

Does this take you all morning and into the afternoon? Do you have a method to share? I love grapefruit, but echo everyone else's complaints about it. I once made a wonderful recipe of grapefruit, ginger, and star anise compote, it was truly delicious, but I'd never do it again because it took forever to peel those *%$ grapefruit!!

heh heh heh

Have any of you ever tried Citrus Express? This is one of those things that I saw on late night TV and actually ordered. And it actually works!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Pasta. Basic flour and egg pasta. It's not hard to make, it's actually quite easy. But it takes time.

It takes time to mix it, then talks longer to roll it out and cut it. I have a hand crank pasta machine, which helps with the time thing. But it still takes quite a bit of time. And it is well worth it.

When it's ready to eat, all the sweat and work was worth it. There are no second thoughts, no thinking this wasn't worth it.

Therefore, I submit pasta as hard working, but well worth it.

Added

Carlovski Posted: Jun 10 2004, 03:58 AM

Although my housemates think I am mad - taking three hours to make something you eat in twenty minutes.

So I'm not the only one...

[Edited for quote addition and typos.]

Edited by GSBravo (log)

Part of the pleasure of blue crabs, pomegranates, grapefruit, etc. is the process itself that requires a slow, sensual savoring of the food, fingering it and taking it bit by bit to the mouth with great anticipation of the tiny nugget of flavor. You all are missing out.  :raz:  :laugh:  :laugh:

EXACTLY!!!

To me, the ongoing reward of the sweet crab or lobster bits makes the whole process a treat! Earning every mouthful...and yes, savoring every bite.

It's kinda like sex - if you are enjoying it - why would you wanna rush it??? And do you really look at the whole process as work??

Pomegranates I like - once a year. Then I am over them till the next year. (and unrelated to this topic - I am positively unable to drink bottled pomegranate juice - made my mouth pucker too much!)

Ignoring my comparison to sex now, I will say that all-you-can-eat hardshell crabs are the best way to go, as you don't have to be quite so detail oriented to reap the rewards.

Also, it's not much fun alone (as Wayne said) - I love the social aspect of a crab or lobster fest!

p.s. I do the same thing with grapefruit as browniebaker - I strip'em naked down to the fleshy pulp - I find the membraines too bitter.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I peel them like oranges, but I also remove all membranes so that it's just pure grapefruit sections. I peel about ten grapfruit at a time ...

Does this take you all morning and into the afternoon? Do you have a method to share? I love grapefruit, but echo everyone else's complaints about it. I once made a wonderful recipe of grapefruit, ginger, and star anise compote, it was truly delicious, but I'd never do it again because it took forever to peel those *%$ grapefruit!!

It's not difficult, after a bit of practice. The epiphany for me was . . .

USE A KNIFE! (duh, but I'm a slow learner)

Cut off the top and bottom of the grapefruit so you can see the actual flesh (no membranes) Cut down the sides, again so you see flesh.

Working over a bowl, hold the grapefruit in your left hand (right hand if you're left-handed). Pick a membrane, any membrane, and start there. Cut down as close as you can along one of the membranes, then move to the next one and cut along it, cutting out the section of grapefruit. Continue around until you're left with nothing but a big lump of membranes. Squeeze out the extra juice and you're set.

Works for oranges too.

Now, for me, the way-too-much-work-for-what-you-get food is fava beans -- shell, shell, shell; blanch, peel, peel, peel -- two hours later, you have. . . beans. Great.

Thanks, JAZ, that does sound workable. Certainly better than what I was doing (removing the membranes of each grapefruit section individually. Oh what a pain-in-the-butt.)

Oh, yeah, I did that too, for ages. Awful.

In fact, isn't that one of Dante's Circles of Hell? :wink:

Edit to add: Can you post more details of the grapefruit and ginger compote? Sounds fabulous.

Edited by JAZ (log)

Cut off the top and bottom of the grapefruit so you can see the actual flesh (no membranes) Cut down the sides, again so you see flesh.

Working over a bowl, hold the grapefruit in your left hand (right hand if you're left-handed). Pick a membrane, any membrane, and start there. Cut down as close as you can along one of the membranes, then move to the next one and cut along it, cutting out the section of grapefruit. Continue around until you're left with nothing but a big lump of membranes. Squeeze out the extra juice and you're set.

Works for oranges too.

Now, for me, the way-too-much-work-for-what-you-get food is fava beans -- shell, shell, shell; blanch, peel, peel, peel -- two hours later, you have. . . beans. Great.

Anyone know the cooking term for this? I seem to remember someone on Food TV refer to these as imperials (or something similar) when refering to a lime cut in this manner.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Works for oranges too.

Anyone know the cooking term for this? I seem to remember someone on Food TV refer to these as imperials (or something similar) when refering to a lime cut in this manner.

I think you are looking for the word "supreme". Messy, but fun.

Durgin Park's recipe for Indian Pudding. Not much labor, but the 5 1/2 hr baking time means an all-day committment (but then again, so does a drive to Boston.)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

But does it also peel off the membranes? That 's the part that really drives me batty.

Yes. You end up with nothing but the "meat". They might not be as pretty as if you did them skillfully by hand but it sure is easy. It also works for larger oranges.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

But does it also peel off the membranes? That 's the part that really drives me batty.

Yes. You end up with nothing but the "meat". They might not be as pretty as if you did them skillfully by hand but it sure is easy. It also works for larger oranges.

fifi,

I think they are referring to the membranes between each of the interior segments, not the exterior pithy stuff.

I have the Grapfruit Express, as well, and used it often enough to get burnt out on grapefruit. Now I can't stand to look at the stuff! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Edit to add: Can you post more details of the grapefruit and ginger compote? Sounds fabulous.

It was from Bon Apetit a few months ago. I'll find it. It really was good.

From the Feb. 2004 Bon Apetit. Their list of ingredients, my paraphrased instructions. Not sure how to do this, if it violates copyright laws, just tear the page out.

Grapefruit, Ginger, and Star Anise Compote (serves 6)

1 C. water

1 C. sugar

1/4 C. thinly sliced ginger

6 whole star anise

1/2 tbs. grated grapefruit rind

3 medium pink grapefruit, sectioned

3 medium white grapefruit, sectioned

Bring water, sugar, ginger, and star anise to a boil over high heat; keep stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer until it begins to thicken (10 minutes or so). Add grapefruit rind, stir, reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes.

Put all grapefruit sections in a large bowl. Remove and discard ginger slices from syrup. Pour syrup over the grapefruit, and let it cool at room temp. for about an hour, giving it an occasional stir. Divide among six bowls, discard star anise, serve chilled or at room temp.

My notes:

1) Give it about 24 hours to hang out in the fridge. I was having people over on a Saturday night, I made this on Friday night. Sat. morning I had some for breakfast -- I thought it was good but not great. When we had it for dessert Saturday night, it was great.

2) Next time I make it, I think I'll grate the ginger into the sugar water and leave it in, rather than slice it and then discard the slices. Pain in the neck, and anyway I love ginger.

3) More star anise, possibly a bit less sugar.

I don't bake. I just don't have the patience required, and to my palate, the payoff usually isn't worth the frustration. Same goes for pasta. Actually, now that I think of it, most (if not all) dough.

Brining is something that takes a while but I consider well worth the extra time. Smoking meats, slow BBQ, etc. are also well worth my time and energy.

Risotto is biggie. I'd stand over a pot of risotto for an hour just to taste the final outcome.

Great thread, btw!

I once did a really complicated classical beef burgundy recipe (I think it came from Cook's Illustrated). Took me all day and dirtied just about everything in the kitchen. The final result as judged by my beef burgundy eaters was... don't bother. We like your quicky version better. Can't win 'em all.

Consider Wolfert's Catalan stew in her World of Food. It takes 3 days, but is possibly the best stew I've ever had.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Grapefruit is a pain. All that carefull cutting and seed picking, only to be rewarded by a couple of mouthfuls of fruit...just gimme a glass of juice.

Long ago I stopped the grapefruit ritual. I like the fruit as it is, without sugar or anything, so I peel it like an orange and section it. It is not as neat as a tangerine, but it is so much easier than cutting and sectioning. Also, unused sections will keep for a few days in the fridge.

YES. Luscious. :biggrin:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Brining is something that takes a while but I consider well worth the extra time.  Smoking meats, slow BBQ, etc. are also well worth my time and energy.

I'm with you! We cook as many meals as we can in our smoker during the summer, and it's pretty much always worth brining for a few hours before getting the fire going.

We smoked lamb chops once which had marinated for several hours in onion juice. Making the onion juice was a huge pain (peel five pounds of onions; quarter them; shred them; squeeze the shreds until juice trickles out; then squeeze them again) but it was worth it -- the meat came out not only smoky, but delightfully imbued with essence of onion. Mmm.

The bones from those chops made some of the best stock in the world, too...

Online Food Writing Workshop: http://www.inkberry.org/onlineworkshops.html#food

Worth it: pasta, stock (duh), lasagna, beef carbonnade or any other long braise, bread.

Not worth it: puff pastry. Or maybe it's just me. I hate making that shit.

Also, making sausages, pates, and terrines is certainly worth the effort.

Noise is music. All else is food.