• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Topic of Great eG Forums Topics

Suzanne F

I don't know how to find it nor do I know how to link to it, one of the best of all IMHO was the one on "snipe".  It went on and on and people became more and more creative.  My $.02

colestove

And now you expect us to hunt for it?

Well, it is nightime. :wink::laugh::laugh:

you lazy bastard. egullet *never* sleeps. :wink::biggrin:

I can't believe it. Only here would there be thread about snipe that is really about snipe. :shock: Snipe hunting is one of the oldest jokes among Southern Men that I know about. It is also a very long story-This link does a pretty good job of explaining it-The Snipe Hunt

I have also, many times, hunted snipe for real, They are, in fact, good to eat and hard as hell to shoot as you are doing it (usually) in pretty thick woods.

I thought that Colestove was pulling our legs, what do I know? I'm just a dumb old cracker and ought to know my place here amoung all of you sophisticated city folk. :laugh:

Note to the PC-sensitive - Brooks can freely use the term "cracker". He's earned it. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, there have been so many eGullet conversations that i value deeply. I found this site last year when searching Google for "el Bulli". The firs hit was this rather odd discussion. Burrito foam? :wacko: I've since discovered that people are obsessed with sichuan pepper or paprika. My kinda folks. :smile:

Check out fifi's post on May 20th. (Almost at the bottom of the page.) Brilliant. Belongs in the hall of fame.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have been a fairly active member (poster and reader) for almost 2 years. I have laughed, spurted beverages through my nose, almost cried, and been amazed at what I have read, learned to smoke (meat), learned more about butts than imaginable. It has been amazing. This is a witty and astute group of people. No one else is offering classes of the caliber that EG does, and I cite the recent class on Cooking for and with Disabilities course in which I have participated. Cutting edge, indeed to tackle subjects that are traditonally taboo.

For personal reasons, I am pretty partial to the thread on The (Our) Cabin.

But, the one "go-to" for me is the one on what is probably my favorite food. Live Larb and Prosper.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 9 months later...

I think this thread is due for a revival.

Adam Balic's Tuscan Food Diary, Two weeks in pictures is wonderful!

Frightfully freaky fruit, scary looking but delicious, started by spaghetttti, is a must-see!

Back in the Italy Forum, there's Ore's spectacular Slow Food Diary -Study in Italy, Living the Master Italian Cooking Class.

Also well worth looking at is My massively nerdy culinary New Year's resolution.

A short quote will give you a sense of what that thread is about:

Well, the first one [New Year's resolution] is to get my wife to like lamb.

But the one I'm referring to is that I've decided that I'm going to devote each month of the year to only cooking from one region of Italy.[...]

And Kevin proceeded to walk us through his fulfillment of that resolution, with pictures.

And of course, there are a slew of eGullet foodblogs that deserve mention and a link. You can see a complete annotated linked list here, but I'll focus on some of the relatively recent blogs that I loved:

Foodblog: Malawry, 34 hungry college girls

Foodblog: arbuclo, Dubai is a long way from Montana, baby!

Foodblog: little ms foodie, Sauteing in Seattle

But really, there have been a bunch of great blogs. Looking over the annotated list maintained by SobaAddict70, I was reminded of the great work by MissTenacity, Chufi, slkinsey's amazing Thanksgiving blog, etc., etc. If you haven't been looking at the foodblogs, you've really been missing out!

And a new thread that's already great but definitely one to watch is this beautifully photographed one on Vietnamese food, started by guppymo.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have to nominate the Gumbo Ya Ya thread. This was one of the most satisfying threads I have experienced here. We had folks all over the world making gumbo and making it well. I lost track of where all gumbo was being made but it was amazing. Of course, I am not exactly an unbiased reporter. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Holy crap!

Thanks for the mention. Truly an honor.

The threat that lured me into eG was the account my Michael Ruhlman of an appearance he did with Bourdain. Actually anytime they get together in a thread makes for good reading.

When I joined I think I spent the first whole day here reading the "I will never again . . . " thread.

Also liked the thread on the reality show The Restaurant.

Adam's Tuscan thread is a glory to behold, and honestly, the inspiration for my thread is Ore's.

Michael, I just found this thread. Thank you for considering the freaky fruit thread worthy. :wub: There are so many great threads here on eG and I love all the blogs, when are you up for one? :smile:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

• 2 weeks later...

If you missed Bleudauvergne's just-completed blog (her second), go to this link now!

Also, look through her first blog (linked in the first post of the second blog) and her thread on the Montignac diet and exercise method, which you should look at for the great photos even if you aren't thinking of going on a diet (and you'll consider it after you see what great food Lucy had on that diet!). Lucy is such a great writer, and if you want to learn what makes a good photograph, look at most any of her photos.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed about the various food blogs, now including bilrus's (although that was not officially a blog).

I absolutely love theme threads like "Japanese Spaghetti," especially when they have plenty of pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a few favorites, too many to list here...but my absolute favorite is one that's not mentioned much these days, and more's the pity.

Ellen's travelogues, in particular her series on Mongolia take first prize. I'm sure you'll agree.

To read all the parts of this series please click: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII, Part VIII

"You're going where? And what exactly is it that you'll be doing there?"

"Is that inner or outer you're going to?"

"Do they have Mongolian barbecue there?"

"Will you sleep in a yurt?"

mong11.jpg

mong12.jpg

mong16.jpg

Absolutely breathtaking. Go check it out.