• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Topic of Great eG Forums Topics

Suzanne F

But can anything match Onion Confit, Slowly Simmered for shear obsessiveness?

10 pages on onion confit!!!???

I know, I know... I contributed to the mayhem.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That is by far the most hilarious thread I have ever, ever read on Egullet.

More exactly, the original post that started the thread is by leaps and bounds funnier than anything else I've read.

I was laughing for 5 straight minutes after reading the original post.

It brought tears to my eyes.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Varmint's Pig Pickin was another great one. Egulleters descending upon Raleigh for great food and fun. It was vicarious thrill for those who couldn't make it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

And let us not forget theabroma's theabroma Travels and Cooks in Mexico, Notes between near-death experiences

There are many total incapacitaion events in there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

But can anything match Onion Confit, Slowly Simmered for shear obsessiveness?

8 pages on Roasted Cauliflower is a close second.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hands down favorite reading: Q & A with Fergus Henderson.

Even more than Fanta Shokata, I enjoyed Balmagowry's gift to us all: Earliest Mention of eGullet Ever! I think Jinmyo is, like, the total Iron Chef of Bayeux Tapestries.

Then there was the wonderful Competition Round Ten: The Name Game, when I finally felt like an eGulleteer.

I also really enjoyed (and miss) the Amma thread.

Bill Klapp immortalized himself in my eyes with this thread: When The Moon Hits My Eye, I Make Big Pizza Pies.

Read it and weep.

And, if they were all conglomerated in a single thread, Florida Jim would have the empire of adulation he deserves. I think a thread merge, like French Laundry got, is in order. Otherwise, his posts float to the bottom of the eGullet ocean and are buried in the silt of time.

Bell's was typical. People were vomiting, wearing antlers and codpieces

From Nero's Drinkblog...Here

I forgot about that dude! He really was wearing a codpiece, the weird bastard.

One of my favorite posts of all time was last year during the "freedom fries" phase, when restauranteurs were pouring French wines down the toilet. Remember those nasty times?

I can't remember who said it, or what the thread title was, but someone said:

"Yeah, I usually pour my French wines down the toilet too. But I have the fucking brains to filter them through my liver and kidneys first."

Noise is music. All else is food.

Not to sound like a brown-nose, but the recent and new threads on the antics of Bourdain and Ruhlman and Ripert . . .well, what can I say? We are truly blessed.

Whatever, brownnose. :raz:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I knew this thread sot of rang a bell....

Suzanne F's December 20 thread

:biggrin:

I suppose we can arrange a merge. No need for two topics when one will do.

EDIT - done. the two topics are one.

But the link is broken now.

Ha ha, I get it. If you'd like I can go edit beans' post (it's past her edit window, so she can't do it herself anymore) and adjust the link so it comes right back here in a big circle like it should. I just don't like editing user's posts for no good reason.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i would just like to say, from a newbie point-of-view, how much i appreciate and have enjoyed this thread. it has given me a view of threads i might not otherwise have dug up in my wanderings, not to mention a scary insight into some of yall!

keep em coming as i am loving this!!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Bell's was typical. People were vomiting, wearing antlers and codpieces

From Nero's Drinkblog...Here

I forgot about that dude! He really was wearing a codpiece, the weird bastard.

One of my favorite posts of all time was last year during the "freedom fries" phase, when restauranteurs were pouring French wines down the toilet. Remember those nasty times?

I can't remember who said it, or what the thread title was, but someone said:

"Yeah, I usually pour my French wines down the toilet too. But I have the fucking brains to filter them through my liver and kidneys first."

A phrase I often quoted during those odd times when all things French (particularly wines) were taboo. The funny thing was, that those idiots that thought they were hurting the French or the French economy by "boycotting" French wines didn't realise that most of the product currently (at the time) available had been paid for close to one year before so they were hurting no one except their local purveyors.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know how to find it nor do I know how to link to it, one of the best of all IMHO was the one on "snipe". It went on and on and people became more and more creative. My $.02

colestove

And now you expect us to hunt for it?

Well, it is nightime. :wink::laugh::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

it was the Knife buying Blog and related threads that drew me here.

Basically I'm a knife fan and cooking is a way of using up the stuff that i so happily disassembled.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I knew this thread sot of rang a bell....

Suzanne F's December 20 thread

I suppose we can arrange a merge. No need for two topics when one will do.

EDIT - done. the two topics are one.

But the link is broken now.

Ha ha, I get it. If you'd like I can go edit beans' post (it's past her edit window, so she can't do it herself anymore) and adjust the link so it comes right back here in a big circle like it should. I just don't like editing user's posts for no good reason.

Yeah, but this seems like a good reason. :biggrin:

Remember, you get paid time and a half for overtime for this kind of stuff...

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know how to find it nor do I know how to link to it, one of the best of all IMHO was the one on "snipe".  It went on and on and people became more and more creative.  My $.02

colestove

And now you expect us to hunt for it?

Well, it is nightime. :wink::laugh::laugh:

you lazy bastard. egullet *never* sleeps. :wink::biggrin:

I can't believe it. Only here would there be thread about snipe that is really about snipe. :shock: Snipe hunting is one of the oldest jokes among Southern Men that I know about. It is also a very long story-This link does a pretty good job of explaining it-The Snipe Hunt

I have also, many times, hunted snipe for real, They are, in fact, good to eat and hard as hell to shoot as you are doing it (usually) in pretty thick woods.

I thought that Colestove was pulling our legs, what do I know? I'm just a dumb old cracker and ought to know my place here amoung all of you sophisticated city folk. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...