• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Topic of Great eG Forums Topics

Suzanne F

• 1 month later...

Right now, one of the best and most instructive active threads is 35 Chinese words describing different cooking, in which jo-mel has been taking illustrative quotes from Kenneth Lo's The Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking and hzrt8w has been giving examples of dishes made using each technique, with links to photos.

Michael aka "Pan"

I just found A Culinary Trip to Mexico, but have to say that it's one of my favorite threads ever. Anyone that has not read it should do themselves a favor forthwith....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
You have to look at Is It Really that Great!, A BBQ Road Trip Report. I've never been to Texas, but I learned something about the area between Dallas and Austin by reading and looking at the photos in that super-fun thread!

That thread contains one of the two best metaphors ever posted to eGullet:

"napalm summer breeze"

The other is the analogy found in racheld's foodblog, now in progress:

"Tofu is like a teenager looking for a peer group; it takes on the persona of its surroundings."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

This was one of the first threads I read when I joined, and I was riveted.  There were some mighty interesting people around back then.

Chinese food vs. French, why the Chinese kick French ass...

I read that thread for the first time today. I thought some interesting points were raised, but my feeling that pride in the positive achievements of Chinese cuisine unnecessarily crossed the line into cultural arrogance was reinforced once I got to the comment that the Japanese learned everything they know about cooking from the Chinese. Breathtakingly patronizing, of course, and not helped by the racist language. Such things are mercifully rare on the Gullet. Still, at least it demonstrated the futility of the original premise.

Oyster Guy and Shuckin Forever

I love this thread, and not just because I spent some time in my early youth living between Malpeque and Caraquet. It's fresh and tangy and real.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This topic has picked up some momentum:

Chinese eats at home, What did we cook?

Inspired by the "Dinner!" thread: Posting of pictures of home-cooked, specifically, Chinese food. This thread is morphing into a beautiful home-cooking food pictures contest!

8 pages already after only 2 weeks. And growing.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

This topic has picked up some momentum:

Chinese eats at home, What did we cook?

Inspired by the "Dinner!" thread: Posting of pictures of home-cooked, specifically, Chinese food.  This thread is morphing into a beautiful home-cooking food pictures contest!

8 pages already after only 2 weeks.  And growing.

Ah Leung, I love your pictorials. Are they organized into ONE thread, or does each subject have it's own?

Thank you so much for bringing us so many beautiful and easy to follow lessons. :smile:

Ah Leung, I love your pictorials. Are they organized into ONE thread, or does each subject have it's own?

Thank you so much for bringing us so many beautiful and easy to follow lessons.  :smile:

(Answering for Ah Leung) The tutorials are pinned to the top of the China and Chinese Cuisine forum.

• 5 months later...
An instant classic. This one just started, but is extremely informative and well done. Thanks, Johnnyd!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I had trouble finding this thread under its new title.

Anyway, here are some great threads that I wouldn't want any of you to miss for lack of awareness:

The witty Peter Green takes you on a copiously illustrated trip through various parts of China with his wife and kids in "Across China with the vermin"; report still in progress.

Domestic Goddess shows us through the 21st Ichon Ceramic Festival, with many photos of ceramic ware, lots of food, and even some Korean bellydancers!

See how a couple of young gourmands with a large budget and nearly infinite stomach capacity go all out, in "Travelblog: Foodies Gone Wild Spring Break '07, London, Paris, Barcelona in one week," with reportage by BryanZ.

Then hop, skip, and jump to South America with docsconz in "A Family Trip to Peru," which is just full of great photos and fascinating information.

A thread that started on Feb. 11, with questions and answers, but really got going with reports with photos on March 10, is "Tokyo with kids; how do you say "no sauce" in Japanese?", about the trip Majra and her family took to Tokyo and Kyoto.

See how two of our favorite gourmets joyously pig out in "NY trip report; how much can we cram into 3 days?", featuring Ling and hhlodesign of Cache' Dinner Club in Seattle. Then look at the Cache thread.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's another thread many of you would find interesting (I did!):

Trip Report: Northern Vietnam for Tet

Pan

Thank you for this link. What a wonderful read and great pics. Love living vicariously!

Brenda

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!