• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 2

Gustatorian

Of course the sequence of events (particularly around Tony's firing) seems VERY odd.  Actually, the editing around the sequence with the kitchen fire seemed a bit odd too.

I wonder whether you might expand on what you felt was suspicious about the editing in the episode?

No mention was made by anyone (on the show at least) about the getting a raise and getting fired on the same day (or at least the next day), which it what it looked like. My suspicion is that it happed at least a few days apart, and was edited to look like he was being rewarded by one side and disowned by another.

Mark Burnett has been known to do stuff like this in the past, most notable with Survivor.

Also regarding the firing, did anyone Tivo or tape this episode? Can you tell what date was on Rocco's computer when he was talking to Laurent in his office when he was clearing his schedule for the next few days? Remember he said that they had been looking at Tony since September with the idea of letting him go. At least we can figure out the interval between the suspicion and the dismissal.

About the fire, the more I think about it, the less suspicious that seems. It's just that Rocco's happened to coincide with the fire. He leaves, the fire starts, it gets dealt with, and he returns to see the damage. It could be a coincidence, but it would be a very strange one.

And I somehow doubt that NBC's news department is producing this. I don't think that any news department would enter into agreements with advertisers. If they are, then I'm sorely dissapointed. The "cast" probably had the TV rules written into an employment agreement. Anyone know if they had to get union cards to be on TV?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I agree that it's unlikely (okay, close to impossible) that Tony's reward/firing happened all in one day. Just as it's unlikely that in an earlier episode that Rocco promised to go to a meeting the next morning with Jeffrey, then woke his ass up and went on an expedition to the CIA he'd had planned for months without telling Jeffrey. In fact, I really really doubt that the "more fire, tastes better" debacle was even the same day as the fire they showed.

But Roux, having missed most of the season you are indeed missing out on something. As legitimate as the editing/sequencing concerns are, Rocco has exhibited a PATTERN of behavior over the course of the show that's hard to attribute to mere editing. In fact, there have been manipulated moments to make him look BETTER--although many were very transparent. Last show before the hiatus, for example, we were treated to a sequence where Rocco feels frustrated and is about to give up, and bam... he walks right up to the front window of Rocco's just in time for him (and the camera) to catch Mama schmoozing with a set of customers conveniently placed to be seen through that window. Rocco feels bad, and the camera catches his sad lonely face.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I agree that I am not completely up to speed as to what's going on. I also think that we are on the same page as far as Rocco himself goes.

I'm not rooting for the guy. As much as I hate to see anyone lose a job or go broke on a venture, he's doing it to himself. He is not operating within his own abilities. It's a classic case of someone biting off more than he can chew.

To a certain extent the show itself is dumbed down for the population who knows little to nothing about food or the business. It would be one thing if the show was really centered around food and it's preperation. This is a reality show, not a cooking show. But real reality isn't sexy enough for network execs. There has to be conflict or drama to be able to sell it to a major network. Otherwise it would be on Food Network. So drama is enhanced and manipulated by editing and music and any other number of production tricks. Anyone see the Gideon/broken elbow behind the scenes thing?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Also regarding the firing, did anyone Tivo or tape this episode? Can you tell what date was on Rocco's computer when he was talking to Laurent in his office when he was clearing his schedule for the next few days? Remember he said that they had been looking at Tony since September with the idea of letting him go. At least we can figure out the interval between the suspicion and the dismissal.

The computer says it was Thursday, the 4th. No month is shown, but it would make it December '03 (or September, but that doesn't fit because of the review, and the heavy coats).

Edited by Sbriddle (log)

I'm not rooting for the guy. As much as I hate to see anyone lose a job or go broke on a venture, he's doing it to himself. He is not operating within his own abilities. It's a classic case of someone biting off more than he can chew.

I really agree. I'm certainly not rooting for Rocco -- I was repelled by his compulsive schmoozing and his apparent sense of himself as the most irresistible cake in the pastry case by the end of the first hour of the first season.

But last night, I found myself feeling sorry for him. He's completely over his head. It seems clear -- to me, at least -- that he has a history of relying on being adorable to get himself out of hot water, and watching him ramp up the adorable-quotient, frantically flipping pizzas and flirting with the (somewhat under-wowed) babes at the bar, struck me as sad. By the same token, I was saddened by the pathetic specter of a grown man who brings his mother to a scary business meeting. He strikes me as a guy who has always gotten ahead by trading on his little-boy charm, and all of a sudden he's in a decidedly adult situation for which he has no skills, and he's floundering. From what I've seen, I don't like him, but it's sad watching anyone forced to confront his failings -- forced, perhaps, to recognize that adorable doesn't work forever.

I didn't think Rocco could look any worse, but last night it all came together. The guy is a massive egomaniac, and a lazy one at that. I can't believe no one has the guts to say,"You know Rocco, you're a fucking asshole." (maybe they did but it was cut by NBC censors :smile: )

I loved the bit with Jeffrey and the gang eating at Red's place talking about not having to change the logo on the plates. Meanwhile Rocco is putting his hair pizza on the pannini press. I mean, can you imagine any other top chef clowning around like that for the crowd when the brigade downstairs is in major shit. Wow. And the way Tony was fired. I know that happens often in kitchens, but he didn't deserve that. And mamma's really showing her colours. She's got the evil eye going on there. I'm with the guy who walked out after service. If I were anyone employed by that restaurant, I would be looking for a new job -- pronto!

Cannot believe I missed it. But sad to say the recaps/comment here are probably better than the original.

The Lord of Ultimate Darkness, our own JC -- and not the good kind of "JC" -- dropped the ultimate clue about this whole thing. Remember when he was talking on the phone in his Limousine of Ultimate Darkness about Rocco's replacement? His exact description began, "Well, he's young and good-looking." There you have it folks. For any Brady Bunchers out there, Rocco turns out to have been Johnny Bravo. He fit the chef's jacket, so to speak. Yes, I know he's respected cook, blah blah, but Paul Prudhomme wouldn't have gotten a call back.

I've had a problem with Rocco's stated purpose about the place all along, this stuff about not being proud of his Italian heritage, how he felt like he was looked down upon. I grew up in the Northeast, and yes, there's prejudice there as everywhere. But Italians and Italian-Americans are pretty well accepted. And Italian-American food is one of the favorites of people who won't touch ethnic cuisine. So it really smacked of insincerity to me. Or maybe it was just Rocco himself. Nothing wrong with saying, "I'm doing red-sauce Italian cause it's my mother to me and it's a straight shot to a lot of peoples' hearts."

Ingrid

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I find it really difficult to even post about this melodramatic soap opera as the whole show thing feels like brain surgery with a meat cleaver on a beautiful woman. In other words the production values are great but the hammy dramatic inserts make this so painful to watch.

Who believes that the anguished chef must go and chop the hell out of some poor Roma's to make a throw away sauce or the infamous weepy window scene other than as a production idea. Damn it! if you're going to manipulate us at least be way more subtle than that.

Rocco has achieved full weasal status with the firing of his chef. Maybe it needed to happen at some point, who can tell the way this mess has been cut together but he appears to at least have been the rock of the place and to have unceremoniously terminated him for basically being torn between two masters appeared childish and vindicative.

Yeah and between the hair pizza and "are they real?, no.. are they real?" Can you spell buffoon?

It's obvious why Mama is behind her boy to the death, she spoiled him rotten all his life and now ain't no time to quit. I wonder what she would say to that nice Mr. Burnett now?

Meanwhile Rocco is putting his hair pizza on the pannini press

I keep wondering who got THAT particular pizza.

Rocco has achieved full weasal status with the firing of his chef. Maybe it needed to happen at some point, who can tell the way this mess has been cut together but he appears to at least have been the rock of the place and to have unceremoniously terminated him for basically being torn between two masters appeared childish and vindicative.

This is the thing. I'm at least willing to admit that maybe Tony had bad management skills, but if so that was just a reflection of Rocco's own bad management. It seems to me that a.) Rocco never even once worried about costs or numbers--he relied on Laurent and Tony to do so, and of course they didn't. b.) Tony was a combination of a scapegoat and a shot back at Jeffrey, since if you unravel the editing I think Rocco probably DID know about Tony's raise and saw it as a sign that Tony was now Jeffrey's man and not his.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Meanwhile Rocco is putting his hair pizza on the pannini press

I keep wondering who got THAT particular pizza.

Saved for staff meal.

Edited by ingridsf (log)

I really should stop cutting on Rocco though. If I keep it up, he might not buy these $1500 barstools I have sitting in a warehouse in Queens. :biggrin:

EDIT - ingridsf, you have an extra

in there. If you use the one at the head with my username in it, you don't need that second one.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I really should stop cutting on Rocco though. If I keep it up, he might not buy these $1500 barstools I have sitting in a warehouse in Queens. :biggrin:

EDIT - ingridsf, you have an extra

in there. If you use the one at the head with my username in it, you don't need that second one.

I handle the quotes feature with the same finesse Rocco showers on The Ladies.

But thanks, Jon. And those are very lovely Hot Topics this week, Mr. Lurie.

i

But thanks, Jon. And those are very lovely Hot Topics this week, Mr. Lurie.

Yes, Rocco didn't even "rate" the HTs this week. I think we replaced him with "Shrek M&Ms", because they are far more relevant.

Damn, there goes my last chance to ditch those barstools...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

It seems so clear to me, Rocco is totally bored with cooking.

He seems to approach the kitchen like someone on a treadmill while reading a book.

He is so much more enthusiastic about meeting and greeting and shmoozing with the women than working the kitchen.

I think about how Jamie Oliver can do the same meeting, greeting and picture taking, yet remain focused and passionate about the kitchen.

Its too bad, Momma, who seems to have some insight into Rocco's immature bullshit, isn't willing or able to guide him into a more balanced and sensible way of deporting himself.

That notwithstanding, I still think the two hours of last nites frolics were compelling t.v.

Damn, there goes my last chance to ditch those barstools...

Got an idea for the bar stools. Call JC, say you want to do a remake of the Dating Game. You see where I'm going with this.

Rocco: "So, tell me, Contestant #2, what are the names of my two restaurants?"

I've had a problem with Rocco's stated purpose about the place all along, this stuff about not being proud of his Italian heritage, how he felt like he was looked down upon.  I grew up in the Northeast, and yes, there's prejudice there as everywhere.  But Italians and Italian-Americans are pretty well accepted.  And Italian-American food is one of the favorites of people who won't touch ethnic cuisine.  So it really smacked of insincerity to me.  Or maybe it was just Rocco himself.  Nothing wrong with saying, "I'm doing red-sauce Italian cause it's my mother to me and it's a straight shot to a lot of peoples' hearts."

Ingrid

Also, didn't Rocco cook Italian food on Melting Pot? That's why I thought his "I'm starting fresh with the food of my heritage" sounded odd.

I am so incredibly peeved at the Restaurant. They are all behaving like children. I understand that working in a restaurant is not easy ( I have worked in a few and my bf has worked in the kitchen for 10 years and is still there).. however they are NOT making it any easier for themselves by NOT communicating. I mean seriously.. Jeffrey gives Tony a raise one day and the next day Rocco fires him!? I mean get off both your egoes and talk for the sake of all your employees! I am very disgusted in the way that Rocco fired Tony. He got someone to break into his locker and bring all his stuff to his office so Tony couldn't return to the restaurant himself and say goodbye properly. To me it looked like Rocco knew he was doing something wrong and just didnt' want to suffer the consequences given back by the reaction of the rest of the staff. He was treating Tony like he was a thief! Ridiculous! His ego is totally ruining his career. He just fired Tony because he knew the staff loved him and he felt threatened by Tony. I'm sorry Rocco that is not showing that you are a mature man. Who is ever going to want to work with him again?! He does WAY too much P.R. and does NOT provide leadership to his staff. This was proven when he fired Tony and told the staff he would take over his responsibilities.. then not too long after he was out schmoozing with everyone (and I must say the way he flirts is definitely on the creepy side) while he deserted the guys in the kitchen and they were seriously getting their asses kicked. If you can't keep your staff happy then you will not get good productivity or service from them! How dumb does someone have to be to NOT know that basic rule!

I was on Rocco's side at first but now I think we have seen a truer picture of Rocco on the last few shows. What owner leaves an important business meeting to go and autograph books when his restaurant is falling to pieces. It just goes to show you where his priorities lie. His "woe is me" attitude was truly annoying. Step up and be a man, get some therapy for all your problems. He knows he needs it, why else would he have jumped on the chance to talk to shrinks like that?!?!

One last note... The rest of the staff need to stop being YES men (hello Michael Jackson!). Its ridiculous. Laurent was not happy with Rocco for firing Tony yet he didn't say anything at all about it. He could have voiced his opinions, I mean can Rocco really afford to fire him too?!!? The rest of the kitchen staff feels vulnerable and I don't blame them for one, however they need to speak up and say this isn't acceptable. I'm sure they can find work in another restaurant. Its not like those jobs are hard to come by.

I used to love this show, now its just getting outrageous largely due to all of the miscommunication that occurs. I stand by the fact that Rocco needs to go and get some serious mental therapy and hopefully that, combined with maturity will help him to become a kinder, less self-absorbed individual.

Just watched the two episodes.

"Are those real?" Did he really say that? He did.

Why didn't Laurent, who I understand has a relationship with Rocco, walk up to him during the shift and say, "Hey, Rocco, the kitchen is missing a chef and they're swamped. You need to get down there."

Wasn't Laurent in the meeting where Rocco decided to fire Tony? How could he pretend to be angry at the firing?

Of course the sequence of events (particularly around Tony's firing) seems VERY odd.  Actually, the editing around the sequence with the kitchen fire seemed a bit odd too.

I wonder whether you might expand on what you felt was suspicious about the editing in the episode?

No mention was made by anyone (on the show at least) about the getting a raise and getting fired on the same day (or at least the next day), which it what it looked like. My suspicion is that it happed at least a few days apart, and was edited to look like he was being rewarded by one side and disowned by another.

Mark Burnett has been known to do stuff like this in the past, most notable with Survivor.

About the fire, the more I think about it, the less suspicious that seems. It's just that Rocco's happened to coincide with the fire. He leaves, the fire starts, it gets dealt with, and he returns to see the damage. It could be a coincidence, but it would be a very strange one.

And I somehow doubt that NBC's news department is producing this. I don't think that any news department would enter into agreements with advertisers. If they are, then I'm sorely dissapointed. The "cast" probably had the TV rules written into an employment agreement. Anyone know if they had to get union cards to be on TV?

I agree that its hard to tell what was going on with the firing of Tony. Either Rocco knew about the raise and was taking a position to counter Chod by firing Tony, or Rocco is so out of the loop/Chod is operating behind is back (take your pick), and he honestly didn't know about the raise yet still managed to take polarly opposite position from Chod on the issue.

Rocco did say, I think, that he got rid of Tony because Chod told him that he needed to be more active in the kitchen, but I think he lacks good faith in the move because he immediately demonstrated how NOT to be active in the kitchen during that night's service. And then he had to be shaken by Laurent before he decided he should be there through the weekend, or "whatever it takes."

With regard to the fire, the impression I got was that, as is usually the impression, Rocco simply wasn't around until somebody once again told him he should be there, and he showed up after the fact in order to prance around in the front of the house some more. But I may not have the sequence right.