• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 2

Gustatorian

Judge lets Rocco in... but only to take photos.

Wow, this is getting fugly.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Court papers filed by China Grill allege that on March 16 DiSpirito grabbed Rocco's chef, Ed Rosenthal, and threatened him, saying, "I'm going to ... kill you. You are a dead man."

Hey! Chodorow did finally manage to find another chef that didn't require him to change the "R" logo. Good on him!

This must have been the "Shoving match" I read about a couple months ago. I hope Ed gets all the profits from the book DiSpirito was having his picture taken for.

Edit: You beat me to the punch line, Ingrid. Good on YOU!

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

You beat me to the punch line, Ingrid.  Good on YOU!

Oh, Buzz, it's not about me or you getting to the punch line first. It's about mocking these chuckleheads together. [insert earnest smiley face here]

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

What's up with the QVC luncheon? Does that imply he snuck out of Roccos with 2 tons of momma's meatballs and all the booze, then partied hearty with the folks selling his 'Rocco Junk'. Geez, we did that stuff in college with the dorm kitchen food.

The thing really bugging me is that his FNW bio says he has a BA in business. I suppose he could've been sleeping through all his classes.

Hey BuzzDraft! Were you the one talking about not buying Rocco's book? I would seperate the show from the book. They are two entirely different things. I've done my fair share of slamming the show but I stand by my words in another thread that I think the book is worthwhile. It's not just a bunch of recipes but a good read and a glimpse of a life. I really enjoyed the photos and his encourangement to experiment in the kitchen. I feel it's worth the money and if I weren't so broke I'd own it personally.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Hey BuzzDraft! Were you the one talking about not buying Rocco's book? I would seperate the show from the book. They are two entirely different things. I've done my fair share of slamming the show but I stand by my words in another thread that I think the book is worthwhile. It's not just a bunch of recipes but a good read and a glimpse of a life. I really enjoyed the photos and his encourangement to experiment in the kitchen. I feel it's worth the money and if I weren't so broke I'd own it personally.

I'm with you, duck.

Let this guy fade back a bit, hopefully replenish his spirit, and get back to what he does best, cook.

And he does know how to do that. If you doubt it, go to Union Pacific.

As fa as cookbooks go, and creating a brand, he should be allowed to do it , without being penalized.

Just like Flay, Batali, Rodriguez, Ripert, et al.

2317/5000

As for Rocco's cookbook, you buy it. Frankly I'm sick of anything to do with Rocco. I would enjoy the Restaurant sticking around if it didn't include him. I love the daily drama/life of a restaurant. Both in the kitchen and in the restaurant. I think that a lot of the things that happened in the show do happen in real restaurants.. in terms of gossip, incompetent staff, poor management.. It is funny and entertaining to watch. Why can't we have the Restaurant (without Rocco?!?!!)

On another note, I wonder how many people e-mailed Rocco to tell him what an egomaniac he is (on his own personal website)? I e-mailed him. I also recommended him a good book called, "Non-violent Communication" by Marshall Rosenthal.. (I am a teacher so I thought it might help me to communicate better, especially with parents).

I really hope he gets some serious therapy and matures from this experience (although I am rather cynical about it all).

And who the hell would sign him to anything after watching the show?!?!? They must be even crazier than he is....

I will miss all this witty banter.. its been great. Here's to all of you!

*Cheers* from Canada :)

Let's take the topic back to the show...

Looking back, I realize why I disliked the show so much. It wasn't because of personalities, although, Dog knows there's plenty of disfunction among the participants. I didn't like the show because, though it was supposed to be about a restaurant, they spent almost no time at all on the food. And when they did talk about food, it was usually as a plot twist -- "Mama's gonna die 'cuz she loves her boy so much she works 32 hours a day making meatballs!" or "That fat ugly bald guy at table 21 with the shag rug poking out of his shirt says his food is cold. I told him osso bucco is SUPPOSED to be served cold. I think he believed me. What a yutz"

Does anyone remember a time, even in the first season, when the food seemed like Rocco's first priority?

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I just can't get the image of Rocco entering the kitchen in the wee hours of the morning and with much fanfare, he chops tomatoes and onions. We're supposed to take away the feeling that he plays the food like an instrument but he just came off as ridiculous. It felt false and perhaps the producers came up with the idea but the fact that he went along, willingly, tells all.

The best moment was the follow up when his mother declares the sauce he invented to the tune of Babalu , "awful!"

I know some people like him and feel like we're shooting fish in a barrel but so many talented people aren't given the chances this guy received and he seems to be squandering everything, just to be una brutta copia di un playboy.

Finally, he does have plugs in his hair, right? That do isn't a fashion choice he made, is it?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

The chef Rocco allegedly assaulted is Ed Rosenthal.  Thank god.  JC didn't have to get new plates!

Yeah, but an Italian restaurant called "Rosenthal on 22nd". Not even in New York.

Hows about "Rosies"?

I think what they are really looking for is an exorcist.

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

Rosenthaleroni?

I think that name could work. Covers alot of ground and has a nice ring to it. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This is only slightly related to the show, but here is word of a Rocco sighting -- in Napa no less! This weekend is the infamous Napa Auction (which consistently raises $5 Million every year...). Inasmuch, a lot of wineries are having private parties and events which you can buy into. I just read about this one:
Anything Goes at the Franciscan Supper Club

Franciscan Oakville Estate

http://www.franciscan.com

Start time: 6:30 p.m.  Max Guests: 30

Event Description:

The Setting: An evening of unscrupulous extravagance with romance, roulette, and risk.

The Cast: New York’s swankiest chef, Rocco DiSpirito, the star of NBC’s "The Restaurant," seduces an rollicking group of revelers.

The Menu: Hedonistic pleasures and luscious liquid libations.

The Rules: Anything goes. Jokers are wild and high rollers have the edge.

Password: Tell them the Magnificat brought you, darling!         

Dress: festive

Too funny, huh?

Oh, if you liked that, you'll love:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...FDGJ06VJNI1.DTL

Skip to about halfway down the page and learn about Rocco failing to show up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...FDGJ06VJNI1.DTL

Skip to about halfway down the page and learn about Rocco failing to show up.

Actually it was interesting from this article to find out what Ron Siegel of Iron Chef fame is doing these days. Ron, as die hard IC fans know, was the first American to beat an Iron Chef (Hiroyuki Sakai in Battle Lobster). Looks like folks can visit the SF Ritz Carlton if they want to be treated to Siegel san's flavorful California cuisine.

As for Mr. Dispirito... In SF I am sure they are probably saying "Rocco who...?" I think Tony Bourdain's comment (on some thread here somewhere) about Rocco being the cause of the death of the 'celebrity chef era' may have a little substance to it. The tv airwaves may chill for awhile.

I guess Rocco doesn't think his 15 extended minutes are up yet...he appeared today on the Jack & Ali (Schmoopy from Seinfeld) talk show "Living it Up." He said that Ed Wilson of NBC told him he would make a great talk show host so he's going to pursue that line of work.

As a side note, his behavior on this show was a bit mean-sprited. Before he even sat down he chided a woman in the audience for saying "He's not as cute as he is on tv." Well...it's true... even cleaned up he looks puffy and tired... By the way, if he has a herniated disk, he never mentioned it.

Next... During a cooking demo of pasta with broccoli he put a fair amount of whole garlic cloves into a pan of hot oil and remarked... "It's okay to add this much garlic, they do this in Italy and no one notices because everyone stinks over there..." He caught himself and said he was just joking.... but his subconscious speaks volumes... he can't contain his loathing of his own ethnicity...

Finally, he chose a young teenage girl from the audience to assist him in the cooking demo. He gave her a pound of dry, uncooked spaghetti to hold in her hand. He did his cooking thing... and he kept telling her that what she was doing was very important...and that he would get to her soon... At the very end when he put plated his cooked pasta dish he turned to the girl and told her now she was going to do something important -- and he instructed her to throw the pasta in the air. She hesitated for a second so he repeated for her to throw it in the air... she did and it landed all over everything.... Wheeeeeeeeee....

Welcome to Fake Fun TV. :wink:

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Ed Wilson of NBC must be an idiot if he told Rocco that. Either that, or he was just trying to shut up some whining about how bad NBC let him look on "The Restaurant".

Whenever Rocco's on a talk show I know what I will see. He will leer at some woman. There may be some inappropriate touching. He will say something stupid, at least once. He will talk about Mama's meatballs in big rounded tones, and since she's usually there waiting in the wings usually really ham it up. In recent appearances he will hawk his cookware.

Yawn. Great guest. Yeah, he will make a wonderful talk show host.

EDIT - BTW: Apparently Ed Wilson is no longer at NBC. Oh well. Now apparently he's FOX's point man on "affiliate relations, advertising sales, legal, broadcast standards". Can that get Rocco a FOX show? Or just guest appearances on "Malcom in the Middle"?

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

he can't contain his loathing of his own ethnicity...

That's a bit strong, don't you think? Perhaps, like many people, he feels that in a pc world, it's still o.k. to poke fun at one's own kind.

Can you see it now? Mama playing McMahon to Rocco's Carson? Maybe she'll also point out the physical atributes of scantilly clad female types in the audience. Maybe, a la Emeril, she'll throw meatballs into the audience! Instead of going out into the audience to chat them up, Rocco will go out into the audience to FEEL them up.

It's hard to imagine, but I dislike Mama even more than Rocco. I've always thought there was something really deap-down ugly about her. She's always come across as if she'd smile to your face, then pull out a knife the minute you turned your back. She's obiously contributed to his lack of moral compass and narcisistic (my spelling sucks) behavior.

I really can't wait for a talk show! I hope it happens! I'll never watch it, but I'll get the low down from y'all! Can you imagine what he'd be like as a talk show host? Sort of a combination of Joey Botafuoco, Emeril, and Benny Hill. It'll be some of the most compelling, gelastic theater since Charles Ludlam!

Aidan

he can't contain his loathing of his own ethnicity...

That's a bit strong, don't you think? Perhaps, like many people, he feels that in a pc world, it's still o.k. to poke fun at one's own kind.

It does sound strong, but the rationale comes from Rocco's own statements. In past interviews he has criticized italian cuisine and openly admitted he is ashamed of being italian. He said those were the motivating factors for opening Rocco's - to atone to his mother and make amends for dissing his heritage. At the beginning of the shows for Season 1 he starts the shows off with similar statements.