• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We now have an index!

A recent discussion with Fat Guy about ways in which the Coffee & Tea forum might be elevated, promoted and imbued with a unique character of its own has prompted introduction of a forum index. Many topics that have fallen to lower pages have worthwhile information for both eGullet newcomers researching coffee topics and long time forum regulars looking for previous discussions.

Additional content will be added in the future, some of it in the form of lockedtopics that will be mini-tutorials, but most of the threads will remain as is for additional replies.

Any suggestions for subjects that should be referenced in the index will be appreciated - just PM me with the details or feel free to reply to this thread for open discussion.

I'll also add a Tea section to the index in the near future. As always, thanks for your support of eGullet in general and our little caffeinated corner in particular!

Whoa, an index! How ambitious! Much respect to you! Sounds like your salary should be doubled for all the extra work you'll be doing...

Michael aka "Pan"

What a grerat idea and nicely done. I imagine that this would bre rather difficult to institute on some of the other boards, however, it is incredibly useful.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Sounds like your salary should be doubled for all the extra work you'll be doing...

Why should I settle for a lousy doubling of pay (what's 2x0?) when the lure of a grander title is dangling out there in the future?

Yes, it would be a daunting task in most of the other forums due not only to the breadth of their discussions but also sheer number of archived posts. Coffee & Tea is only at a paltry six pages thus far - it was a simple task to dig through the threads and pull out the most pertinent stuff.

I believe I'll be splitting it into two sections - one for pinned and locked informational/tutorial type threads and the other for discussion related topics.

Sounds like your salary should be doubled for all the extra work you'll be doing...

Why should I settle for a lousy doubling of pay (what's 2x0?) when the lure of a grander title is dangling out there in the future?

How about "Grand Poobah of Coffee and Tea"? How does that sound? :biggrin:

But seriously, it's great that you've done this.

Michael aka "Pan"

I imagine that this would bre rather difficult to institute on some of the other boards

Yes, the New York hosts are going to be incredibly busy!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Love the index idea, but I cannot access any of the links. Is it just me? I get the same error message "The error returned was: You do not have permission to view this topic. "

I believe my account is in working order and assume that the Index should be available to all?

just curious....

Lisa

Love the index idea, but I cannot access any of the links. Is it just me? I get the same error message "The error returned was: You do not have permission to view this topic. "

yep, I got the same message.

:sad: Same here. Owen, I think you need to return your second quart of yogurt to FG.

BTW, I read in Bleu's blog that Jim Early was your uncle. Totally cool. Your stock has just gone up, even in spite of the above index hiccup ....... :wink:

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

I believe I have discovered the source of the problem - the forum section in which I "parked" the sub-indexes is accessibel only to forum hosts and moderators. I'll check with the Poobah's and find out where I can stick them so all wil be functional. I refuse to put them where the sun don't shine so don't even go there :wink:

Or you could just post the Forum Hosts/Mods passwords for us to use..... :biggrin:

That would be my own personal password and believe me... I won't reveal it of only for the fact that it would make me blush and a few of you wonder....

The index is fixed! The sub-index topics have been movced so that they are now viewable. Functionality could be a bit smoother in that multipel windows open but it works for now. At some point in ythe no-so-distant future the site may have software technology that will obsolete this index method but for now.... this may be helpful to some - thanks for your patience!

The index is fixed! The sub-index topics have been movced so that they are now viewable. Functionality could be a bit smoother in that multipel windows open but it works for now. At some point in ythe no-so-distant future the site may have software technology that will obsolete this index method but for now.... this may be helpful to some - thanks for your patience!

Cool, it works! Now I wish all the forums had this, it's ever so hard to find stuff... :wink:

I won't reveal it of only for the fact that it would make me blush and a few of you wonder....

Now some of us are gonna wonder anyway...... :hmmm:

Thanks for fixing the index, Owen. Great idea.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G
  • Similar Content

• By Johnhouse
      Hello everyone!

I have been working in food and beverage industry for almost 10 years in different countries. I am looking forward to learn new things on this forum to expand my food and beverage knowledge as well as sharing my experiences that I gained in my journey!

Have a good day! ☺️ 
    • By MattJohnson
      I've been a big coffee fan for years, but lately, I've been drinking more tea.
      Where do you get your tea? Do you have an importer you like? An online store you frequent. I've been buying tea from Rishi at stores in the Milwaukee area (they are located in the area too) and have been very happy.
      One of my favorites so far is the Earl Green. Very tasty.
      .... sorry if there is a thread like this already, I did a quick search but didn't see anything....
    • By liuzhou
      This arose from this topic, where initially @Anna N asked about tea not being served at the celebratory meal I attended. I answered that it is uncommon for tea to be served with meals (with one major exception). I was then asked for further elucidation by @Smithy. I did start replying on the topic but the answer got longer than I anticipated and was getting away from the originally intended topic about one specific meal. So here were are..

I'd say there are four components to tea drinking in China.

a) When you arrive at a restaurant, you are often given a pot of tea which people will sip while contemplating the menu and waiting for other  guests to arrive. Dining out is very much a group activity, in the main. When everyone is there and the food dishes start to arrive the tea is nearly always forgotten about. The tea served like this will often be a fairly cheap, common brand - usually green.

You also may be given a cup of tea in a shop if your purchase is a complicated one. I recently bought a new lap top and the shop assistant handed me tea to sip as she took down the details of my requirements. Also, I recently had my eyes re-tested in order to get new spectacles. Again, a cup of tea was provided. Visit someone in an office or have a formal meeting and tea or water will be provided.

b) You see people walking about with large flasks (not necessarily vacuum flasks) of tea which they sip during the day to rehydrate themselves. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, shop keepers etc all have their tea flask.  Of course, the tea goes cold. I have a vacuum flask, but seldom use it - not a big tea fan. There are shops just dedicated to selling the drinks flasks.

c) There has been a recent fashion for milk tea and bubble tea here, two trends imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. It is sold from kiosks and mainly attracts younger customers. McDonald's and KFC both do milk and bubble teas.

Bubble and Milk Tea Stall

And Another

And another - there are hundreds of them around!

McDonald's Ice Cream and Drinks Kiosk.

McDonald's Milk Tea Ad

d) There are very formal tea tastings and tea ceremonies, similar in many ways to western wine tastings. These usually take place in tea houses where you can sample teas and purchase the tea for home use. These places can be expensive and some rare teas attract staggering prices. The places doing this pride themselves on preparing the tea perfectly and have their special rituals. I've been a few times, usually with friends, but it's not really my thing. Below is one of the oldest serious tea houses in the city. As you can see, they don't go out of their way to attract custom. Their name implies they are an educational service as much as anything else. Very expensive!

Tea House

Supermarkets and corner shops carry very little tea. This is the entire tea shelving in my local supermarket. Mostly locally grown green tea.

Local Guangxi Tea

The most expensive in the supermarket was this Pu-er Tea (普洱茶 pǔ ěr chá) from Yunnan province. It works out at ¥0.32per gram as opposed to ¥0.08 for the local stuff. However, in the tea houses, prices can go much, much higher!

• By catdaddy
      Mrs catdaddy has been good this year and I'm considering buying a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present. I know this machine gets a lot of love here, especially when outfitted with a PID. After reading many posts I'm just wondering if there is anything new (since 2013 say) I should know about  the Rancilio or other great machine on the market?

Also any tips about use and/or essential other tools.....like a good knock box. We've got a great grinder already.
    • By Fernwood
      Anyone familiar with this little joint in the Village?  I assume some Brazilian roots because of items like pao de queijo and brigadeiros on the menu.  I would love to know about the coffee in the latte my husband brought me--such a bright flavor, not at all like typical espresso of my experience.  At home in CT we have access to a pretty great local roaster with quite a range of coffees.  I wish I knew about the coffee in that O Cafe latte so I could try for something similar from Willoughby's.