• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outer Banks Dining

birder53

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we returned from OBX on Friday. The best meal was at Pelican Isle in Nags Head. It's a nice place on the sound and the sunset was spectacular. We had great crab cakes and fried oysters. My entree was blackened tuna and scallops which I ordered for the tuna, but the scallops were the stars of that dish. I would have never considered blackening scallops, but we'll give it a try this summer. Breakfast at Sammies & Omies was fine but their coffee is awfully weak. I was in need of great coffee when we returned to make up for the weak coffee we encountered almost everywhere. Had lunch at the Blue Point Grill in Duck that was wonderful! I had a special of crabcake on couscous and hubby had meatloaf (why, I don't know) which he enjoyed. We split a desert of a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream. Someone in Duck steered us away from Meridian 45 and suggested The Lone Cedar in Nags Head. We also took recommendations from locals about where to dine on Ocracoke Island. Both recommendations were poor. Lone Cedar was crowded with locals, but the menu and kitchen was uninspiring and the serivce was rushed. We dined at Cafe Atlantic on Ocracoke. Again, boring menu and boring food. However, a recommendation for Buoy's in Buxton turned out just fine. It is also a local place and the fried oysters were fabulous! Lunch at the Bish Box in Buxton was also decent. Had one dinner at the Red Drum in Nags Head which was okay. Unfortunately they had the AC cranked up and couldn't seem to find a comfortable setting so we rushed our meals to get out of there. The wonderful weather and lack of crowds made up for the lack of really great food ( and coffee!!). I was quite glad to be home and doing my own cooking again!

KathyM

I like sam and omies...milepost 16 or close to that on the beach road, across from jeanette's pier...for breakfast, esp if goin fishin. i reccommend the biscuits and gravy, hash browns with cheese and a couple bloody marys to wash it all down. i've been going to the obx for twenty years and there are not too many fancy foodie places. duck has some i'v heard but i don't venture out of nags head much. we usually do all our own cooking.

That is unbelievable anyone would steer you away from Meridian 42! Without a doubt, one of the finest restaurants for a truly memorable dining experience.

what a shame... My boss was down visiting the outer banks last weekend and he followed my advise and he reported to me it was one of the best meals he's ever had. HE said he got the shrimpcake entree and is still dreaming about it! I'm glad they enjoyed it, would have not been good for me to give the bossman bad advise.

Thank you Meridian 42!!

That is unbelievable anyone would steer you away from Meridian 42! Without a doubt, one of the finest restaurants for a truly memorable dining experience.

what a shame... My boss was down visiting the outer banks last weekend and he followed my advise and he reported to me it was one of the best meals he's ever had. HE said he got the shrimpcake entree and is still dreaming about it! I'm glad they enjoyed it, would have not been good for me to give the bossman bad advise.

Thank you Meridian 42!!

Two people in two different towns steered us away from Meridian 45. One of them suggested The Lone Cedar which we didn't like at all. But both agreed on The Blue Point in Duck which was wonderful. I guess you take your chances whatever you do!

KathyM

I like sam and omies...milepost 16 or close to that on the beach road, across from jeanette's pier...for breakfast, esp if goin fishin. i reccommend the biscuits and gravy, hash browns with cheese and a couple bloody marys to wash it all down. i've been going to the obx for twenty years and there are not too many fancy foodie places. duck has some i'v heard but i don't venture out of nags head much. we usually do all our own cooking.

Since you fish down there, can you explain why the Red Drum seems to be a "famous" fish to catch but was not on any menus we saw? Is it strictly a game/sport fish?

KathyM

Since you fish down there, can you explain why the Red Drum seems to be a "famous" fish to catch but was not on any menus we saw? Is it strictly a game/sport fish?

I *think* it was a protected species for a while...I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being told they were in short supply for a while, but that populations have started to recover. But don't quote me on that. Also, I think it has a limited seasonal avaliability, which may also account for why you don't see it much.

I've eaten it before and it's really good, especially on the grill. Similar to monkfish, I think. I've seen it popping up in fish markets more and more often.

I like Sam and Omie's fries. Never limp or too greasy. Their fried oyster sandwich is good, too. The inlaw's beach house in Nag's Head (in Old nag's Head woods, right across from Jockey's Ridge State Park, btwn the bypass and the beach road, if anyone's interested :wink: ) opens up soon and we're going down to "landscape" before the official opening.

Anyone eaten at The Flying Fish lately? I remember it being pretty good, with a decent wine list. Tortuga's Lie is always a good place for a burger if you need a break from fish, btw.

Gourmet Anarchy