• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Golden Age of Beer in Philadelphia Tours

Rich Pawlak

This year's Tours were a lot of fun, with great weather, utterly pleasant tour-goers (from as far away as Kansas, Pittsburgh, upstate NY, Delaware and Maryland), and terrific food and hospitality, covered briefly in today's Philadelphia InquirerFood Section.

Between myself and perennial Tour-goer Mike Gates and his nephew, Dave Cook, here are some pics to give you some idea:

i4226.jpg

Debarking from the vans at our initial stop for lunch at Ludwig's Garten. Yes, we even had someone on crutches (!) who felt the overwhelming need to drink beer. She received the Big Brass Ones Award that day.

i4221.jpgi4222.jpg

i4222.jpg

Bellying up and tasting those first beers before lunch

i4223.jpg

Charlie "Mummer" Mayer displaying his obvious passion for the day

i4224.jpg

Some of the 25 taps at Ludwig's Garten

i4225.jpg

The rathskeller bar at Ludwig's, which smelled funky last Saturday, so we high-tailed it to their airier second bar

i4549.jpg

Beer writer Lew Bryson speaking at lunch

I'd love to show you our next stop, McGillin's Old Ale House, but on March 13, it was overrun with early St Paddy's Day revelers, and looked and smelled like a college-age mosh pit. I hope to have pics of our March 20 visit to McGillin's soon.

Some brave folks wandered in for a bit, but most stayed back at Ludwig's for an additional glass of German joy.

i4227.jpg

We arrive at Mcmenamin's Tavern in Mt. Airy

i4228.jpg

More of the crowd

i4229.jpg

The tap lineup at McMenamin's, which also included that day, 2002 Samichlaus!

i4230.jpg

(from l. to r.) Tavern owner PJ McMenamin, and Lew Bryson's big old butt.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Great pictures. Nice article about Michael Jackson too. He was here at RFD in Washington last night. I'm still a little hung over after the 13 beers we sampled, including Dogfish Head 120 minute poured through Sam's latest invention - Randal the enamel animal. :blink:

You did get to Monk's didn't you?

Edited by theakston (log)

i4236.jpg

Debarking at The Standard Tap, with driver Chris Holst (cdh on eGullet) assessing legal possibilities in traffic.

i4237.jpg

The downstairs bar at The Standard

i4238.jpg

The upstairs "Quiet Bar" at Standard, quiet no longer.

i4239.jpg

Tour Operator Contemplates the 2004 Bataan Death March of Beer

i4240.jpg

Yet another Tour-goer enraptured my the latest Bryson pronouncements.

i4243.jpg

Fun tap handles at The Standard, including the spiky mace, from the short-lived, now-defunct, Savage Brewing Co. of Phila., and the softball trophy figure tap handle of Legacy Brewing's (Reading, PA) Duke of Ale.

i4244.jpg

The always impressive tap-only lineup at The Standard Tap

i4245.jpg

Our stop at the Yards Brewery, located in the restored Weisbrod & Hess brewery in Lower Kensington

i4251.jpg

next stop: The Grey Lodge, the perennial favorite of Tour-goers every year

i4231.jpg

The Grey Lodge lineup, which also included an amazing Whiskey-barrel-aged Scotch Ale from Sly Fox Brewing Co.

i4232.jpg

Bryson et mob at the Grey Lodge

i4234.jpg

Owner Mike Scotese (Scoats) of the Grey Lodge, with always helpful assistant Pat McGinley. He looks likes he's praying we leave soon. But no one ever wants to leave this place when it's time; it makes the greatest impression year after year, I swear.

i4247.jpg

The stupor finally sets in at the concluding Beer Dinner at Independence Brewpub, or that's just how driver Mike Lazar (c.) always looks. You decide.

i4248.jpg

Grilled Smoked Pork Filet with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Frizzled Onions at the Beer Dinner

i4249.jpg

The most impressive beer-food pairing of the day was this Grilled Salmon over Wilted Spinach with Pineapple Salsa, paired with Independence's floral, fruity, puckery IPA. An astonishing match, and this dish is on the menu there everyday. Run, don't walk to try this pairing.

i4551.jpg

i4552.jpg

i4553.jpg

Tour-goers at dinner; in the last pic, Lew Bryson chats with Independence brewer Tim Roberts.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Great pictures. Nice article about Michael Jackson too. He was here at RFD in Washington last night. I'm still a little hung over after the 13 beers we sampled, including Dogfish Head 120 minute poured through Sam's latest invention - Randal the enamel animal. :blink:

You did get to Monk's didn't you?

Monk's has declined to participate in any Book and The Cook events, owing to a dispute with the organizers, and so has not been a stop on the Tours these past 2 years. Previously, it was our initial, lunch stop.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Was a great tour of some of PHL's more serious watering holes. Rich has done a great job at putting together a tremendous fun day. Even for somebody who was just driving the van and not sampling the wares.

And you literally rescued the first Tour form near-disaster, Chris, so much thanks. I also had several people comment on how I was obviously getting a better class of driver these days, and I know they weren't talking about Lazar or me.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Thanks Rich for another great year. Everyone in our group had a great time and remarked how well organized it was. And I have to concur that the Grilled Salmon was absolutely wonderful. However, we did miss out on the IPA since we were on the 3/20 tour ... oh well, I guess we'll just have to go back.

Can't wait til next year!! :raz:

Thanks for the kind words, Chia, but the Tours are a reflection of the fun people who attend it. Here are a few more pics, this time of the March 20th Tour, courtesy of the aforementioned Ms. Chen and her friends. Most of these are exteriors of the locations visited, for the exterior-impaired.

i4695.jpg

Ludwig's Garten, our lunch stop.

i4697.jpg

The venerable McGillin's, on tiny Drury Lane in the shadows of Center City Philadelphia

i4696.jpg

McGillin's owner Chris Mullins, giving a traditional Irish Toast to the Tour-goers, as a fedora-wearing Gary Bredbenner contemplates his next beer.

i4698.jpg

McMenamin's Tavern in the Mt. Airy neighborhood of Philly

i4699.jpg

The Standard Tap, festooned with logos from local microbreweries Flying Fish, Victory and Yards

i4700.jpg

The fermenters at Yards Brewing Co. And yes, we often get to sample beer directly from them.

i4701.jpg

The tavern/reception room at Yards, everyone's favorite new lounge, with Inquirer reporter George Ingram (3rd from l. rear) digging the vibe.

i4702.jpg

Tour-goers outside the Grey Lodge

i4703.jpg

Dinner at Independence Brewing Co.

i4704.jpg

Chia Chen's large group of friends and love slaves at Independence

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I swear I see my tenth grade English teacher in one of those pics....

In what pic, Steve, and what would be your teacher's name? I have the attendee list.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Wow, looks like an excellent time there, Rich.  Nice job.  Maybe next year I'll be able to attend.

It's always been a good time, Jim and Herb, and I must say that this year's beer menus throughout were spectacular. Broadest variety of styles and breweries, as well as superb food, especially with dinner.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large