• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for Ferrero Rocher and/or Almond Roca?

aidensnd2

Crush them up and add to vanilla ice cream. Pack into a chocolate crumb pie crust. Serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream.

Or mix into bavarian cream.

Seriously, do you want to make these babies from scratch? Why? Unless you're an experienced candymaker, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Crush them up and add to vanilla ice cream. Pack into a chocolate crumb pie crust. Serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream.

None too sure of what Dan had in mind either but I will be more than happy to make the recipe you have given here .. sounds delightfully decadent ! Thanks! :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Yup, I do want to make them, especially the Almond Roca.

I live in Australia and Almond ROca isn't available here, Ferrero Rocher are but I'd still like to kow how to make them.

I woulnd't say I'm an experienced candymaker, but neither am I a novice. Almond Roca can't be too hard to make, I assume it's just some sort of Toffee. It's the texture/biting quality of it that has me puzzled, it's much less dense than any toffee I've made before.

Thanks

Dan

• 2 years later...

Sorry aidensnd... I can't help with a recipe. In fact, I'm even more clueless than you are. While I've had Ferrero Rochers before, I'm not even quite sure what's in them - I know there are nuts (hazelnuts?) and chocolate, of course... But, there's a crispness to them - a layer of wafer?

I'm not a sweet tooth, so anyone reading this will be shocked that I have no clue what Almond Roca's are... To be sure, I've heard of them, but I can't say that I've actually eaten one.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yup, I do want to make them, especially the Almond Roca.

I live in Australia and Almond ROca isn't available here, Ferrero Rocher are but I'd still like to kow how to make them.

I woulnd't say I'm an experienced candymaker, but neither am I a novice. Almond Roca can't be too hard to make, I assume it's just some sort of Toffee. It's the texture/biting quality of it that has me puzzled, it's much less dense than any toffee I've made before.

Thanks

Dan

Dan... whereabouts are you living? I'm in Melbourne and we can buy Almond Roca at Myers (Grace Bros.) and David Jones, and often at Chocolate Box type shops. I don't buy it anymore, once I start eating it, I cannot stop!

I also googled them and found quite a few recipes.

ange

Almond Roca

1/2 lb salted butter

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup toasted almonds, keep warm

1/2 lb milk chocolate

boil sugar and butter to 280 degrees. add nuts, pour out immediatly onto parchment. When cool spread a layer of tempered chocolate on top

Rochers are going to be a bigger challange because you need to get the wafer half circles, which I have never seen for sale even in the baking supply places. I have stumbled onto the website of a manufacturer once but that would not be available to we mere mortals.

So to make a tasty substitute I would buy the flat wafer, place a thick layer of gianduja made with about 60 % unsweetened hazelnut paste and 40 % milk chocolate between 2 layers of wafer with a roasted hazelnut. Dip in tempered milk chocolate to which you have added some chopped hazelnut.

It will taste the same (actually a whole lot better due to the freshness), but it may look a bit like a dog's breakfast.

I once saw a Food Unwrapped where they showed this stuff being made. If you try the Beranbaum toffee recipe, a teeny bit of baking soda added at the end just before you pour it out will help make it a little lighter and more tender.

Ferrero Rocher contain four elements (listed from outside to center)

1. A tempered milk chocolate mixed with finely chopped hazelnut coating

2. A wafer sphere

3. A hazelnut milk chocolate filling- thicker than nutella. I'd say halfway between nutella and a godiva open oyster.

4. A single roasted blanched hazelnut

The hardest part is going to be the wafer layer. If memory serves me correctly the wafer sphere is comprised of two halves. The two halves might be glued together with the chocolate coating or possibly something else.

You'll need a special molded baking pan for the wafers.

Ferrero Rocher contain four elements (listed from outside to center)

1. A tempered milk chocolate mixed with finely chopped hazelnut coating

2. A wafer sphere

3. A hazelnut milk chocolate filling- thicker than nutella. I'd say halfway between nutella and a godiva open oyster.

4. A single roasted blanched hazelnut

The hardest part is going to be the wafer layer. If memory serves me correctly the wafer sphere is comprised of two halves.  The two halves might be glued together with the chocolate coating or possibly something else.

You'll need a special molded baking pan for the wafers.

you could, if you're not looking for a perfect copy, take the praline (gianduja?) center and roll it in feuilletine, then dip in chocolate?

you could, if you're not looking for a perfect copy, take the praline (gianduja?) center and roll it in feuilletine, then dip in chocolate?

Brilliant idea! Should work nicely as long as you don't add anything to the centre that will soften the feuilletine.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Brilliant idea! Should work nicely as long as you don't add anything to the centre that will soften the feuilletine.

or, you could just add the feuilletine to the tempered milk chocolate and dip the middle in the whole mess. that way, you'd have a crunchy exterior.

I remeber I was searchin for something a while ago and I founf this recipe of home made ferrero rocher.She said to find those silicon molds for icemaking but if you can get one of those fancy polycarbonate molds for truffle shells http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/c210013p16727314.2.html, or something like that, then you can form the waffle round inside them .

FERRERO ROCHER - MIA RICETTA.

Ingredienti:

Stampi in silicone per il ghiaccio a forma di cupola (li ho trovati allAuchan),

wafer alla nocciola (Loacker) o biscotti,

nocciole,

Burro fuso,

Nutella,

nocciole intere spellate e tostate,

cioccolato al latte.

Prendere dei wafer alla nocciola (Loacker) e delle nocciole, e passarli al mixer. Poi, unirci del burro fuso. Foderare gli "stampini" (ma non tutto lo stampino, diciamo un tre quarti, altrimenti poi non formerà una "pallina" giusta) con il composto, formando tante cupolette. Mettere in frigo il tutto, a far indurire.

Nel frattempo preparo una nutella fatta in casa (oppure si pu usare quella commerciale). Poi, sformare DELICATAMENTE i "gusci" di wafer. Riempirli tutti per tre quarti con un po' di nutella e metterci dentro una nocciola intera. Sigillare a due a due le palline, usando un filo di burro fuso tiepidp e lasciarle riposare un poco, per indurirle. Poi avvolgerle nel cioccolato al latte fuso. Fondere il cioccolato, appoggiare i cioccolatini su di una forchetta ed immergerli nella cioccolata. Rotolarli bene e quando saranno tutti ricoperti, toglierli sempre raccogliendoli con la forchetta. Attendere un paio di secondi con la forchetta sopra la cioccolata, in modo che la cioccolata in eccesso coli tramite i rebbi della forchetta e poi appoggiare i cioccolatini sopra un vassoio ricoperto di carta da forno.

Certo un poco di cioccolata "cola", formando una base sul cioccolatino. O la si lascia (così il cioccolatino starà in piedi bene lo stesso anche dopo), oppure la si profila usando un coltellino a lama liscia ben affilato!!

Volendo, una volta ricoperte le palline di cioccolata si possono rotolare nella granella di nocciole.

In a few words she use some hazelnut waffles ( cialde ) Loacker http://www.loacker.it/it_wafer.html ,she mix the wafer in the mixer with some rosted hazelnuts to make fine crumb, then add the melted butter ( like for a cheesecake crumb type)and use the sphere molds to form the shell of the rocher,put them in the fridge to firm up ,meanwhile she makes the nutella ,or buy it,the you fille the wafer shells with the hazelnut paste ( or nutella ) and put a roasted hazelnut in the middle ,put together the two half of the rocher and at this point I would temper my milk chocolate and add roasted hazelnut that I have previously chopped medium fine ( granella ) and dip the wafer shells or you can just dip them in chocolate and then roll it in the hazelnuts as for a truffle.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

For Almond Roca, try Chinese grocery stores, when you get back to Australia. Here in Phlilly, that's where I can always find Almond Roca, even times when it wasn't available other places. The Almond Roca website specifically mentions Australia.

• 2 months later...

I make a similar version:

toffee:

1 stick butter

1 stick margarine

1 cup sugar

1 cup sliced almond

topping:

1 cup pecan pieces

6 oz melted chocolate

Put the butter and margarine in a heavy bottom pan (I prefer copper) over medium heat. When the sticks are half way melted, add the sugar and stir (it's best to use a heat-proof silicone spatula) constantly. When the mixture starts to foam in a few minutes, add the almond and continue to stir. When the sugar has turned a light amber, I believe around 320 degrees, pour it onto a sheet pan lined with foil or silicone liner. Make sure to put the pan on a heat proofed surface as it gets very hot. When the candy cooled down a little, spread the melted chocolate on top and sprinkle with nuts. If you want more chocolate, you can melt more chocolate and apply it to the second side once the first side has set.

Edited by annachan (log)

it is a form of toffee, which i think has been discussed. but the search engine is a bit difficult if you know what i mean.

buttercrunch is another name for the same type of candy. then you just have to break it up, coat it with chocolate and roll it in chopped nuts for the roca effect.

it is all good! :smile:

should this be in baking & pastry?

i think there are already a bunch of topics covering this idea with recipes and everything.

There is an existing thread with recipes and discussion... Here it is

(The search parameters are "roca", select "all forums" and look in "titles" using the search function located in small blue print all the way at the very top of the page.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"