• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Cooker/Crock Pot: Recipes and Techniques

Wilfrid

Thanks for the links, guys. I think I am going to be a little bit of a traditionalist and say that the whole point is the crock. The idea of an aluminum pot or whatever seems just stupid. I can throw a Calphalon or Le Creuset in a low oven as well as anyone else so who needs that idea. Plus, I will stick with Paula Wolfert's wisdom of clay cookery on this one.

Continuing to go with tradition, I will probably get a Rival. Looking through their site here, I almost miss the geese. :sad: There are a couple of models with some kitschy flowers but alas, the geese seem to have flown the coop. (Richard, your link seems to have died. This one now works.)

Off to Targaaay later in the day.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Cook's Illustrated did a brief piece on slow cookers in the March/April 2003 issue. In the "standard slow cooker without fancy features" category, they recommend either the Rival or the Farberware Millenium. They do like the West Bend Versatility -- that's the aluminum one that you can use on the stovetop. I'd find that handy as I always brown my meat before putting it in the crock pot. My wife doesn't, which really creeps me out.

Personally, I'd get the 6.5qt oval stainless Rival. The stoneware lifts out for leftover storage or easier cleaning, a huge plus in my book. There is very little worse in this world than cleaning a gunked up crock pot. Awkward, messy and just a pain in the ass. We frequently leave ours to soak for days, each hoping that the other will tackle the job out of sheer disgust or impatience. I usually win. :rolleyes: The pullout crock would be a breeze to clean.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Yes I like having the stoneware come out to clean. It cleans up beautifully in the dishwasher. Fifi, just a note though, if you're going to do all night cooking with one, don't get the smart pot since it will switch to keep warm after a maximum 10 hours. I don't think this feature can be turned off, but I've never tried. I'll try to find my manual and see!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks Fifi, I fixed my Rival products link above.

Looking them over, I like best the 6.5 oval "Recipe Smart Pot". You can really control the process over time. Otherwise I think I would go for the 5 qt round for something smaller. My grapes of wrath are still cookin', but I would like to replace it sometime this year. These things are a bargain given what they will do for you.

I've always thought of a crockpot as one of the few cooking items I'd be willing to buy at Goodwill or a garage sale.

Mine was secondhand, and it has cool pictures of funky lobsters, garlic bulbs, etc.

crockpot.jpg

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Good point, Marlene. I hadn't thought of that. I don't like things that turn off and on automatically. I am a control freak.

That is one funky crockpot, bleachboy. Ya gotta love it.

Chad... Are you saying that you have a crockpot that doesn't have a removeable crock? That would be a real PITA and a really good excuse to "throw it in the yard" and go out and get a new one. They aren't exactly expensive, after all.

I am beginning to think that a heating element has gone out in my "grapes of wrath" (excellent, Richard). At least, that is my excuse for going shopping and I'm stickin' to it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Chad... Are you saying that you have a crockpot that doesn't have a removeable crock? That would be a real PITA and a really good excuse to "throw it in the yard" and go out and get a new one. They aren't exactly expensive, after all.

Mine doesn't have a removeable crock either. It's not really tough to clean unless you let it sit around for days as Chad described. And my wife and I have definitely gone through that standoff before. :biggrin:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Not that I am trying to go off topic (but I am).

Do any of you ever use a roaster like this.

I use the thing for tamales, keeping lots of gumbo at temp. for parties, making jambalaya, cooking ducks, and any other task that takes something big that I want to keep hot for a long while and not scorch.

The one I have was my grandmothers and there is really no telling how old it is, probably 40 plus years. It has seen more Baptist Church Potlucks and family funerals than I ever will or hope to attend and it is still working like a champ.

I love the thing and realize as I am writing this just how much use I actually get out of it at parties and hippie potlucks. The roaster is a very useful item in my cooking arsenal.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ah... The family roaster. My mother had one of those. I haven't thought of it in years. I will have to ask my sister if it is still around. Very useful.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi,

You will also find it very useful for cooking gargantuan batches of Okra and Tomatoes. Enough for the whole neighborhood to enjoy. :wink:

I don't know how old the thing is, but it had a fabric covering on the cord and the thermostat would shock the hell out of you if your hands were damp. I found a place some years back that sold aftermarket parts and replaced that stuff with a grounded plug and a new thermostat. It has been working wonderfully ever since.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have a Russell Hobbs 6-Quart (oval, though, so you can ignore the rest of this post). Got it last summer at the Broadway Panhandler Yard Sale -- different from non-commercial yard sales in that it's all "new" (unused) stuff they haven't been able to move, and discount even more deeply than normal.

Anyway, I've been very happy with it. Big ol' ceramic insert that cleans up well in the dishwasher. Glass cover, also dishwasherable. Off, Low, High, and Automatic which starts on high and switches to low when the bubbling starts. And what I really like is that off really does mean off -- unlike, say, the ancient electric skillet that still has a bit of juice flowing through as long as it's plugged in.

This is creepy-----mine has the grape motif as well.....

I don't recall ever having a problem cleaning it up. Seems like the crusties slid off without much trouble.

Stop Family Violence

Fifi - Check it out before blowing it off. The "Recipe Smart Pot" apparently gives a lot of control that the other smart pots don't. You can set it in 30 minute increments at either high or low temp, and you may be able to combine those during the cooking process. There is some point at which it goes to "warm" (not "off") as a fail safe. I don't know if you can over-ride that; you'll have to look through the instruction book. But even if it did cut back to Warm after say 10 hours...exactly how long are you planning on sleeping overnight? At any rate one of these techno-pots and a traditional high-low pot would probably cover all possible needs.

Shush, Richard. Don't you get it? Fifi wants a new toy.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

You can get an uber-hip Michael Graves slow cooker at Target. I'm betting it has neither grapes nor ivy nor flowers.

I'm also betting it will be a rare example in your kitchen of neither form nor function following each other.

amanda

Googlista

Fifi -- another alternative: if you get a plain white one, you can always paint little green okra around the base. Cool!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think I am going to go with this one. The little one intrigues me. A friend of mine just got one of these and the smaller pot makes a lot of sense for me when I don't want a big pot of stuff. I don't really get how it works but I'll bet there is an instruction book.

I am working on a design that has geese with blue bows attacking an okra plant. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I have one of those little ones and only used once. I don't think the picture conveys just how small it is, it only has about a 1½ cup capacity. The instructions say "The Little Dipper is designed for heating and holding your favourite dip or fondue at the perfect serving temperature". I don't think it would be any good for much else.

I have a little one and I use it quite often for cheese sauces, warming chocolate for fondues spagetti sauce for two etc.

That's the one I have fifi. You'll like it!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Gosh I still have 2 Rival crockpots from my bridal shower, 21 years ago (one is cool silver, the other has little flowers on the bottom) both still in excellent working condition.

If you decide to get a Rival, I highly recommend ordering the steaming basket thingie from the booklet of info that comes with it. It is just perfect for making steamed puddings. I don't know if it is actually called a steaming basket... but that's what I use it for (my mother in law included it with the crockpot) and it really does a good job.

Returned from Target where the one I linked to above was "on sale" for $39.95. (The little one is thrown in for a bonus.) I have some chicken thighs in it now with a bunch of paprika and onion with a little white wine. The capacity is the same as my old one but I think I like the oval shape as typical pieces of meat will be a better fit.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"