• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Cooker/Crock Pot: Recipes and Techniques

Wilfrid

Sorry for being tardy. I got a meaningless reply to my first e-mail. I replied that that was just unacceptable. I haven't gotten a reply yet on the second e-mail. In the meantime, I am boxing the thing up to bring back to Target last weekend and started looking for the receipt. I clearly remember folding it up and putting it in my purse in the place I reserve for receipts. (I have a very organized purse. Comes from years of traveling, I guess.) Then I start looking for the receipt. Not there!!! I tore this place up looking for the damn thing. Then it got later than I thought and I didn't make it to Target over the weekend. I will try again.

What I am going to do is get the plain one with just the low, high and warm settings, no "programming" bullshit. If I had been smart, I would have scrolled way down on the Target site and read the review. This model got trashed for cooking too hot. The plain and simple one got 5 stars. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. Lesson learned.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

At Christmastime I wrote about getting a Presto Options 6 qt. combo type crockpot, steamer, and fryer. At first I thought that it might not be real good because it's got a temp. dial just like an electric skillet, it's a nonstick metal pot, and I was sure it wouldn't get as low a temp. as I wanted. Well, I can say that I've used it exclusively several times now, and I love that thing. It's light,easy to clean, has that electric breakaway plug, and it consistently will simmer stuff slow enough that I am now a believer. It may not be everyone's choice, but I'm happy.

Sorry for being tardy. I got a meaningless reply to my first e-mail. I replied that that was just unacceptable. I haven't gotten a reply yet on the second e-mail. In the meantime, I am boxing the thing up to bring back to Target last weekend and started looking for the receipt. I clearly remember folding it up and putting it in my purse in the place I reserve for receipts. (I have a very organized purse. Comes from years of traveling, I guess.) Then I start looking for the receipt. Not there!!! I tore this place up looking for the damn thing. Then it got later than I thought and I didn't make it to Target over the weekend. I will try again.

What I am going to do is get the plain one with just the low, high and warm settings, no "programming" bullshit. If I had been smart, I would have scrolled way down on the Target site and read the review. This model got trashed for cooking too hot. The plain and simple one got 5 stars. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. Lesson learned.

If you charged it, or wrote a check (and remembered which you did), they should be able to do a lookup based on charge card of check, assuming you bought it withint he last 90 days. I've learned never pay cash at Target if you clean out "receipt carrying thing."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hmmm... I used my Visa/ATM. That might work. Thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I gave myself my first Crock Pot for Christmas. Of course Mom had one in the '70s, but all I remember from that time was a lot of cream of mushroom soup going in there with whatever meat & potatoes. So far I've made pork BBQ, Tuscan pot roast, lentil soup, and some really really BAD pork with sauerkraut. :angry:

I like coming home and having dinner almost ready. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Here is a link for Googled recipes that Fat Guy posted in another crock pot discussion:

Click here.

edited to make a was an is

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In this beautiful thread on Paprika, there is a recipe for chicken thighs. Fifi suggests down the thread aways how to do them in a crock pot. That is next on my list of things to cook in mine. link!

I also love to do a side that is chopped (and peeled, of course) sweet potatoes, ginger, apples, maple syrup, ground allspice and cinnamon. Add orange juice for liquid. Makes your house smell really good too.

Edited to add the link.

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Or this Garlic Sesame Pork Tenderloin works well too.

Put all this in the pot and cook at least 4 hours. This serves two, but it can be easily doubled.

1 t honey

4 T soy sauce

2 T sesame oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 T brown sugar

1 T dry sherry

3 scallions, chopped (3 to 4)

1 pound pork tenderloin

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

What I'm wondering is when you cook meat in a crockpot, do you take skin off chicken, etc, or trim fat? I always get a bunch of fat pooled in the pot. Or do you just cool it and skim?

RecipeGullet crock pot category

I've made the German Red Cabbage and the Greek Beef Stew (from Jaymes) and loved them both.

:smile:

Jamie

Thanks, Picaman! I didn't realize there was a separate Recipe Archive category for Crock Pot. THAT'S what I was looking for - egulleters' recipes! Thanks again.

:smile:

What I'm wondering is when you cook meat in a crockpot, do you take skin off chicken, etc, or trim fat? I always get a bunch of fat pooled in the pot. Or do you just cool it and skim?

In the many many books I've been looking through, trying to get ideas, all generally agree to ditch the skin before cooking.

And don't forget that dried beans are perfect for crock pots...

along the lines of what FistFullaRoux said, i make yellow/green split pea soup and Indian-spiced lentil soup (dahl) in my slow-cooker. it's the perfect vessel for these preps. :smile:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Scroll down this thread Pork Shoulder to Huevos's post about Posole.

It is limp and weak when freshly made, but when given a day to sit in the fridge (or back stoop in the winter), is abosolutely divine. My go to meal when I can plan a day ahead. Everyone in the family, from those with adventurous tastebuds to those more shy, love it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Also check out Jaymes recipe-essay on Carne Guisada in RecipeGullet. Excellent in all its many manifestations, but I prefer pork and tomatillo. Also best when allowed to sit for a day or two.

Also check out Jaymes recipe-essay on Carne Guisada in RecipeGullet.

I've searched six ways to Sunday and can't find this. Could you kindly link to it or let me know where it is?

Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me :rolleyes:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite