• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good food in Bloomsbury (with an infant!)

I will be staying in Bloomsbury (near the British Museum - the Bonnington) for six days, visiting colleagues at the nearby universities. My four-month-old daughter is tagging along. I have successfully taken her to lunch at some quite fancy places here in Boston; she snoozes while I sip and sup. I would like to do some advance planning to scout out restaurants where I can eat well and heads will not spin if an infant appears. Can you suggest some places?

I also anticipate that I will occasionally want to eat in our room, so I am also interested in good takeout and a nice grocer.

Thanks!

Hi Sued - welcome to eGullet!

You'll be around the corner from Hakkasan, which some people consider to be the best Chinese restaurant in London - certainly the best Dim Sum. It might be a bit loud for a four month old (lots of hard surfaces). Also, there's a place - a bit touristy, but I loved it when I was a kid, called 'My Old Dutch Pancake House' where you get crepes the size of a New York pizza (a zilion different fillings). Classier than IHoP. Haven't been there in years, but maybe your daughter would enjoy it.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Ah, the Bonnington. If you have a room facing the street make sure you draw your curtains when you change - our building is opposite the Bonnington and we've seen many an exposed body part from our office (and classroom!!) windows.

Mela on Shaftesbury Avenue seems to be quite family friendly and is probably one of the best Indian restaurants in London - they also do affordable and delicious lunches (and perhaps take-aways as well - I'm pretty sure).

Another idea for take-aways is the brilliant vegetarian cafe on Neal Street called Food for Thought. They do, without a doubt the best quiches in the world - a slice is thick and big enough to be a meal on its own. Their soups, stir-fries and soups are also amazing. People regularly queue out the door. Its been a London establishment for years and offers a bit of hippy chic.

I have heard differing reports lately on the Great Court Restaurant in the British Museum. I still think they are fine for a traditional English tea.

I will probably be castigated for this one by fellow London e-gulleters but - Wagamamma, the Japanese noodle place is always a hit with people with kids.

I hope this helps somewhat.

by no means posh but incredibly child-friendly is an italian called ciao bella in lambs conduit st. pizzas and pastas at reasonable prices.

also in lambs conduit st is the perseverance - took my children there during the summer, great place to eat outside.

x

Hallie –

So good to hear that Mela is still wonderful! We ate there three years ago and my taste buds have rarely been so happy. They were incredibly sweet to our year-old son, who rewarded them with gummy, raita-smeared smiles.

Thanks so much for the other suggestions. Sound like we have great options for lunch, dinner & tea. Any good breakfast recommendations?

Are you at UCL? If you see two women, one in a diaper and one in her skivvies, waving from the Bonnington, you will know it’s us.

Circeplum –

What kind of food at Perseverance? Hoping for good eating-outside weather; much less of a hassle with the stroller and all. But have my doubts we will be so-blessed in late March.

MobyP-

Hakkasan sounds great, despite the noise factor. She sleeps through anything or, if awake, enjoys the racket. She has a three-year-old brother, you see. Here, dim sum is a Sunday-only affair. Do you know which days Hakkasan serves it? I will have the Time Out dining guide to look up such things, but hours often change after publication and it is not fun to anticipate a meal and find a closed door upon arriving.

The Pancake House sounds fun, as well. Do they do takeout? Or is this a place that must be sat in to be properly appreciated?

Abeno on Museum Street is a bit different, cheap (at least at lunch), friendly and I'm sure would be very welcoming to a baby. They do Japanese omelettes (sp?) cooked on a hot-plate at the table.

The sandwiches at Onion, corner of Southampton Row and Sicilian Avenue, have been enormous and first-rate for at least a quarter-century, to my knowledge.

Go around behind the hotel, up Cosmo Place, to 24 Old Gloucester Street. Tuesday through Friday the October Gallery serves up good home-cooked lunches, starting at 12:30. Very limited menu, but always a veg- and a meat-based main course. A lovely courtyard garden to eat in when the weather's fine. (I speak from long experience; my sound studio was in their basement for twenty years.)

Fish and chips used to be excellent at Fryer's Delight, Theobald Road.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Any good breakfast recommendations?

Breakfast is always a tough one. I have only ever had breakfast out on a weekend and therefore I'm not in a good position to make suggestions.

However, one thing does spring to mind - though its about a 15 minute walk out of your way. Bank, on the Aldwych does do breakfasts and despite their trendy appearance seems to be quite happy to cater for children.

Hallie -

I have done Bank for dinner - amazing that you have mentioned the small handful of places I visited several years ago - and do recall there being kids running around. The food was quite nice, so I look forward to visiting again.

All -

Should my cravings get the best of me, is there good coffee anywhere in the area? Trying to wean onto tea, but must prepare for weakness!

The sandwiches at Onion, corner of Southampton Row and Sicilian Avenue, have been enormous and first-rate for at least a quarter-century, to my knowledge.

Go around behind the hotel, up Cosmo Place, to 24 Old Gloucester Street. Tuesday through Friday the October Gallery serves up good home-cooked lunches, starting at 12:30. Very limited menu, but always a veg- and a meat-based main course. A lovely courtyard garden to eat in when the weather's fine. (I speak from long experience; my sound studio was in their basement for twenty years.)

Fish and chips used to be excellent at Fryer's Delight, Theobald Road.

John - These much appreciated; the takeout and eat-outside options will be partic useful.

is there good coffee anywhere in the area? Trying to wean onto tea, but must prepare for weakness!

Starbucks all up and down Tottenham Court Road - 5 mins walk. Plus you're near the biggest Waterstones in the UK (a Barnes and Nobel a-like) and I think they have a coffee bar.

Not to mention RADA (Royal Academy for Dramatic Art) if you want to reserve place early for your kid! :smile:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Should my cravings get the best of me, is there good coffee anywhere in the area?

Never fear, you are only a short walk from the unbeatable Monmouth Coffee Company on Monmouth Street (off Shaftesbury Ave., parallel with Neal Street). If you walk by too quickly you'll miss it - its just a little place and pre-dates the Starbucks mania. Their beans are amazing.

Now I'm going to say something contentious - I find coffee much better in the UK than in the US. Obviously, its not quite at Italian standards but its also not watered down. Even the Starbucks variety packs more of a punch here. At the Bonnington you will be a couple doors down from Caffe Nero, a chain which is much better than Starbucks, if the urge suddenly takes you.

Another thought has also come to me. You were looking for things to take away and eat in your room - Neal Street also is home to Carluccio's Neal Street Restaurant and Deli. I've never eaten at the restaurant (I hear its very good) but I often pick up things from the deli counter for lunch. One warning; once crossing the threshold you will find it almost impossible to leave without making a purchase. The smells and sights are a little piece of edible heaven. They have a fantastic selection of salads and meats behind the counter.