• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi sauce

richw

I absolutely love the stuff. Does anyone know if it's made or purchased prepared by most restaurants? In South Florida they use it to put the spice in the rolls labeled as "spicy" at many Japanese restaurants. I always ask for it on the side and dip my escolar in it. Do any of you see it being used at Japanese restaurants in yor area? Any recipes out there?

Thanks!

South Florida

Here in Seattle the hot sauce is usually sriracha or "Rooster sauce". Is this what you mean? I've never heard of "kimchi sauce," but the best-known Korean hot sauce, kochujang, is delicious, although I don't think I've ever had it on sushi.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Could it possibly be kimchi juices?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo,

Nope, it's definitely not Kimchi juices. It's like a sauce that is made from the chile powder used for making kimchi. I really think its a bottled product that they buy or some sort commercial base-type product.

South Florida

richw,

Perhaps you are talking about "cho-gochujang", which is a sauce that is universally available in restaurants serving "hwae" (what sashimi style sliced raw fish is called in Korea).

"Cho-gochujang" is basically gochujang that has been mixed with vinegar and sugar (and some saesame seeds sprinkled in) that results in a sweet, sour, and hot flavored sauce to dip fish into. I find that "cho-gochujang" goes quite well with shellfish, squid, octopus, and seaweed. However, this sauce is far too strong for sashimi style raw fish, where the traditional soy sauce with wasabi make a far more subtler and complimentary match.

Here in Korea, pre-packaged "Cho-gochujang" is sold in squeeze type bottles and readily available.

I have never heard about "kimchi sauce" here in Korea though...

in Japan there is a bottled sauce called Kimchi no moto (or kimchi base/sauce), it is sort of a "dressing" used to make instant kimchi, but I have seen it called for in recipes with raw fish/shellfish. I personally think this stuff from the bottle tastes awful and doubt restuarants are using it, but if the owner/chefs are Japanese they might have just used the name kimchi sauce to describe a sauce like cho-kochujang that Yong Tae was describing.

Cho-kojujang is a great sauce that is often used as a dipping sauce/ dressing for fish and seafood. I make mine with kochujang, sugar, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic and ground chile pepper.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think I know what you're talking about, and it's not the tuong ot sriracha, but it's called tuong ot something. It's a watery paste in which you can see the chili flakes and seeds. I think there's some garlic and vinegar in there, too, but not the sweetness of sriracha. And I'm pretty sure this is the stuff that makes its way into the spicy tuna rolls.

http://www.asiamex.com/2224.html

sg

Torakris,

That kimchi no moto stuff sounds like a mad concoction (and probably tastes horrid), but I think that it's the step in the right direction for further popularizing kimchi by developing new food items from it.

The MacDonalds here in Korea used to sell a MacKimchiBurger, which was a basic hamburger with a round layer of chopped kimchi in place of the usual pickles and onions. I don't know if they still sell them, though. The Lotteria here also sells something called the Kimchi Rice Burger, which is Kimchi fried rice shaped into buns, with a hamburger patty and mayo in between them. I would guess that the Lotteria in Japan also has them, am I right?

Your ingredient list for cho-gochujang is spot on. It's a matter of mixing the right proportion of those ingredients to one's taste -- some will like it hotter, or more sour, or more sweeter, etc.

The Lotteria here also sells something called the Kimchi Rice Burger, which is Kimchi fried rice shaped into buns, with a hamburger patty and mayo in between them. I would guess that the Lotteria in Japan also has them, am I right?

Actually Lotteria in Japan has nothing like that, they don't have any rice burgers on their menu. It sounds really good though! :biggrin:

I just started a thread on Lotteria in the Japan forum with links to their homepage's menus:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37556

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Um question, is the MacKimchiBurger any good? For some reason, I have a difficult time imagining the taste....

Soba

Probably not.

But kimchi is great on a real hamburger. Put it on the bottom bun, hamburger on top, mustard and onion on top of burger, top bun.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I posted about this in another thread...but when I was a kid, there was this pizza place in Chicago that was owned by Koreans & they had a kimchee pizza you could order. I'm not sure if it was on the menu or if it was offered to Korean customers. The pieces of kimchee were pread out underneath the cheese, on top of the sauce. I can't recall if other toppings were on it as well. But I do remember it being pretty good!

I found a bottle of what I called Kimchi sauce at my local asian market. It's labeled Momoya brand Kimchi base. A product of Japan. check it out

kimchee-base-momoya_lg.jpg

Edited by richw (log)

South Florida

yep, that is the stuff I was talking about a couple posts up, does the restaurant actually use this? :blink:

Kristin,

Yes, most Japanese restaurants in South Florida use this to season spicy tuna rolls. I ask for it to use as a sauce for conch and escolar sashimi. I just bought some and tasted it. I think the restaurants dliute it slightly with water.

South Florida