• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Rods Real Pit BBQ

pnapoli

I was SO ready for the area'a best (according to local critics) BBQ joint.  After a long search, finally found Joann's Bar, reputedly the home of Hot Rod's BBQ.  But, alas, Hot Rod's is no longer there.  :sad: !!  The good news is that the owner is going to open his own place somewhere on Main Street in Wharton in August. :biggrin: .  We'll keep our eyes open, and hopes up, for that happy event.

ohhhhh

wonder if he is taking over where harlequin grill was ?

and maybe actually be open for lunch

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

on the way to appletree - from treating myself for lunch at american grill - hot rods will be on a corner of main across the street and down a bit from the roadhouse and a mexican restaurant.

old harlequin site thai - hope it is good.

only problem with this part of wharton is there is no freakin' parking :angry:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hi - just getting back into the eGullet mode after months of traveling for work & noticed the Hot Rod's thread. Joann (the bar owner) is actually looking to sell the building & liquor license. My husband & I & a friend made an offer, but the building needs ALOT of work so we decided not to take the plunge. But someone else in the eGullet forum may be interested.

Also, sorry to say we missed the Trattoria Fresca event last night, but we're going tonight to try it. It sounded great on the posting.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

• 2 months later...

went by yesterday on my way back from retreiving my car from the dealer(new alternator...450.00 later and no checks, please. credit card only). windows still covered over with paper and sign saying " opening summer 2004".

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 5 months later...

the brown paper is off the windows...the sign in the window says hot rod's real pit bbq...cool bar with hot rod flames and margarita glasses...small round tables...not open yet :angry:

maybe soon - though i got a funny look from the two dudes sitting inside when i was checking it out

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

THEY'RE OPEN!!!!! :biggrin:

got takeout and it was sooooo hard not to eat it on the way up to work. will give a full report later after the 5th graders are gone.

start thinking about pming some dates to visit the north country

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The bbq pulled pork sandwich was good. Peppery, generous portion. Moist but not sloppy wet. $8.29

I don't think this particular sandwich was as good as the average pulled pork sandwich Fink used to provide, but it was definitely good, and definitely worth a ride. Fink set a standard which will be tough to match.

Hot Rod's website

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

i agree with r.p. though i can't comment on fink's since i have never had his - it wasn't sloppy wet though a small container of sauce came on the side(though this may have been for the ribs - i used the last of it for my rib today). the beans were sweetish and creamy. i added 3 ribs to my sandwich for 2.99 and shared with the people at work - the spicerub is assertive without being obnoxiously spicy and creates a nice crust. the cornbread wasn't sweet but the butter tasted like lime and went very, very well with the bread - i ate that for dessert today. i hung out at the bar waiting for my order and had a good time bsing with the barmaid. she said they are fairly quiet in house until about 3 pm - most of the trade is local lunch takeout. total was about 14.00 for sandwich, beans, ribs, coleslaw and cornbread.

one of my coworkers and her husband went for dinner last night - he had the meatloaf platter with mash and corn, she had the halfslab of ribs and said that they were to die for. this from a woman who was on a rib kick last year and at ribs at least once a week. they also tried the hush puppies and a piece of the chef's mom's cheesecake that d said she couldn't eat - it was so rich. with a few drinks she said it was about 40.00 for the two of them. the added bonus was getting to chat with teh people at the tables around them including the owners/chef's mom, wife and child.

definitely have to get johnnybird here - i want to try the margaritas and the sliced wrap brisket or the ribeye sandwich or the jacked-up jambalaya or the grilled shrimp or the grilled quesadilla or the drunken shrimp......

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was in the Fairield area last Wednesday and decided to stop at Hot Rod's for some BBQ. It's located at exit 34 off I-80, which made it a real easy ride. I spoke to a manager named Mike, and he explained to me a little bit about their bbq. He was super nice and he introduced me to Anthony, the owner.

It was a bit early for dinner so I decided to do takeout. The only thing that I didn't particularly care for was the briscuit. It was sliced way too thin and didn't have any real smokey flavor to it.

Everything else was quite good. The pulled pork was tender and smoked perfectly, as were the baby back ribs. The ribs in particular were excellent. The meat pulled nicely away from the bone. Although I generally prefer St Louis style ribs, these were as good of baby backs as I have ever had. Their bbq sauce tastes like a vinegar base, but is on the thicker side. It compliments the food nicely.

The sides were also very good. The coleslaw had red cabbage and just the perfect amount of creaminess. I also recommend the beans. There were some chunks of meat in them and a nice smokey flavor.

Overall, Hot Rod's is definitely worth checking out. The space is nice and the food is good. If you love baby backs, this is the place for you.

Johnnybird and I stopped here yesterday for lunch after running some errands. He had the grilled shrimp entrée which was 8 dry rubbed shrimp that were grilled and served over red beans and rice. They were moist and the rice and beans were beautifully seasoned. I had the chopped brisket sandwich and three ribs, of which I kindly let John have two, and the honey glazed carrots. The meat was wonderfully flavored and made a great sandwich. John had two of the on the rocks margaritas that came in what seemed like a pint glass but his favorite thing – since we ate in the dining room- was the cup of crayons and the butcher paper on the table on which to draw. Total with 3 drinks, one entrée, one sandwich and 3 extra ribs – 45.00

We also got to meet Toby, Chef Anthony’s wife. She was a delight to talk to and her story of having to close early on Wednesday, the day of the snow storm, BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD!!!!!! was amazing. Keep up the good food

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Gotta agree with everyone here. This place rocks!! I don't have to go all the way to Blue Smoke anymore. Had the pulled pork sandwich with 3 ribs. Good beer on tap from a place in Lambertville. I can't wait to go here with a bunch of people and share everything. I'm going back next Thursday as a matter of fact.

Good beer on tap from a  place in Lambertville. 

River Horse - Hot Rod's had the smoked ale on tap when I was there, but I understand they rotate selections. It's fresh stuff, they go through a lot of it.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Good beer on tap from a  place in Lambertville. 

River Horse - Hot Rod's had the smoked ale on tap when I was there, but I understand they rotate selections. It's fresh stuff, they go through a lot of it.

We made a quick pit stop at Hot Rod's Sunday afternoon.

The joint was definitely jumping. The dining room opens at 3, by 330 it was half filled, by 4 pm it was 75% filled. I think the bar opens around noon on Sunday, and several bar patrons looked like they might have been left from last week.

Slab of ribs was very good. Dark chocolate coating, very moist inside, rich, slightly juicy grease to it. Not a drippy grease, but enough to let you know this is pork. Half chicken was very wet, but fully pink inside. I'm guessing it was marinated before smoking. Side of garlic mashed potato was OK, but the red beans and rice plate was very good.

Current specialty beer is Anchor Steam on tap, it had been River Horse Hop Hazard on my last visit. Price, all in, was $52 including a $10 tip

Toby (one of the owners) mentioned they've already begun to expand the kitchen due to volume of business. They're looking for a second smoker, and another walk-in fridge. For now, they've limited take-out on Saturday nights due to the strain on the kitchen, and their need to assure quality control.

If any eGers are interested in checking out the place, PM me.

(Earlier in the day, we were out in the Poconos. The Delaware River is at flood stage following six inches of rain this week. We saw trees rushing downriver, houses marooned amid rising water, and major damage. Even small streams up toward Tannersville and Cresco were alive with 3x and 4x the normal flow.)

rancho gordo

I think I'm gonna hit this place tomorrow (4/7)  for lunch if anyone wants to check it out.  RP?  Lou?

99% of the time I know why I work days

but if I am always serving lunch how can I ever GO to lunch?

have fun

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 5 weeks later...

gym...grocery shopping...i'm hungry

there is a new, streamlined menu here though i have eaten my way almost all of the way through this menu :biggrin:

imho the best thing on the menu is the brisket wrap(sorry anthony. i know some people think it's the ribs or pulled pork but THIS is HEAVEN). thinly sliced, wonderfully smoked brisket with iceberg lettuce(yes there is a reason for this crunchy green stuff) and wasabi mayo that adds, in a funny way, some sweetness. side of coleslaw, extra sauce and a dos equis. total 11.42 plus tip

then i had to come home and make dinner though i had no desire to... oh, well the chili verde will just be better tomorrow :rolleyes:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites