• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
torakris

Vanilla Beans

Thanks everybody for the ideas. And it makes me want to use up my vanilla beans so I can try them. Let's see... Bavarian Cream today, flan this week... I think I need to start inviting friends over more often!

For the best tasting vanilla, use Cognac. Or a more affordable version, brandy. Just keep adding a couple of new beans or used pods every time you fill up the bottle with more liquor.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

They can be ground and added to a brine or sweet pickling solution for fruits. Add to confit of stone fruit to round the aroma, and acids present. For that matter any thing that carries an unpleasant acid not, can be subdued by the addition of mellow vanilla.

Instead of thinking in terms of specific recipes, try to think by way of generalization of flavor structure. Sure there some flavors that were "made for each other", but categorizing flavors allows us to have a broader spectrum to play in.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I have made 10 lbs. of Vanilla Sugar for Christmas gifts and will sift out the split and scrapped beans out in a couple of weeks. The last time I checked the beans were all sugary. I hate to throw these beans away.

Anyone have any ideas for a use for these sugared split Vanilla Beans?

Thanks,

Don

I forgot to mention; I have a gallon of Vanilla Extract working also; same question for the beans I will strain out of the extract. maybe an idea for the extract beans and sugar beans used together.

D

I have made 10 lbs. of Vanilla Sugar for Christmas gifts and will sift out the split and scrapped beans out in a couple of weeks.  The last time I checked the beans were all sugary.  I hate to throw these beans away.

Anyone have any ideas for a use for these sugared split Vanilla Beans?

Thanks,

Don

Interesting, I have the same thing going. I have a dozen 12 oz bottles of vanilla steeping and one small bowl of sugar. I made half of the vanilla from vodka and half from brandy. I also have one small bottle made from tequilla.

i sometimes stick a couple spent vanilla beans in a bottle of (good but not fabulous) balsamic vinegar. doesn't make vanilla balsamic--just adds a subtle layer of flavor. so if you have tons of medium-good balsamic around...or if you want to start more presents...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I make my vanilla sugar by rinsing and drying the vanilla beans used for ice creams etc. I then run them together with sugar in a blender so that they become completely pulverized. Thats sort of a way to use them.

You can make vanilla paste. I posted the recipe in the vanilla extract thread several months ago.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

well you can reserve it and the next time you make creme brulee or ice cream you can steep it in the cream so you don't have to use whole beans... maybe use 2 or 3 of the split pod..

You can stick some into those jars of vanilla extract you are making and it should not hurt. Everytime I get a big jar of Penzey's vanilla, there is a bean in it.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Brush off as much sugar as you can and stuff them in a bottle of decent quality well bourbon, like Evan Williams. Let them soak for as long as you can stand it (at least a few weeks) and then enjoy the spoils of your patience.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My favorite thing to do with ' Old ' vanilla beans is to add about 1 bean to 2 Tablespoons of Herbs De Provence and pulverize it in the spice/ coffee grinder its Awesome on Duck, and if you do the Slow Roast method ( 250˚ for about 2 hours ) the smell will permeate every corner of your home. :rolleyes:

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

a pastry chef friend always dries out used beans (you can air dry the or in a warm oven if you're pressed for time) then he grinds them in a blender into a fine powder and uses it to make anything from cookies to macaroons.

Sign in to follow this