• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Food at Williams-Sonoma

SethG

Um, just to return to the topic.

So I can understand the notion of spending a lot on a cake mix for the pretty tin.

And I made reference in my initial post to the inflated wedding gift prices many of us pay. I guess that explains the whole thing.

But somehow the food items just seem so much more inflated than the cookware. What if I have a half-devoured chunk of parmesan? Can I return it, eat half of it, and keep returning it forever? That would make it a great bargain, eventually.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Yeah, I got into a fight with one of my co-workers who took it upon herself to order the Scottish Smoked Salmon for the boss as a Christmas gift and THEN asked everyone to kick-in.

But if there's 65 employees....sounds like a great "boss" gift! :laugh:

W-S is the best about returns. Last year I turned in some wrecked 20 year-old Calphalon, which they accepted despite obvious signs of dishwasher damage in addition to more or less regular damage. They gave me my choice of replacement pieces or store credit. I took the credit.

Thanks for reminding me. I have a draining meat loaf pan set that the inside of has peeled away. I've had it for about 2 years, but have only used it 5 or 6 times. No longevity on this product at all. And I didn't scrub it with steel wool or anything more than a dish sponge. Piece of crap that should definitely qualify for an exchange. I love the pan - I just hate that's it's so inferior in it's construction.

Taking it back tomorrow and asking it to be swapped out with the nice uncoated nonstick model they have now.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

I was thinking the same thing Tommy. No one should be surprised by the prices with all of the 'exchanging' going on. I want to make sure I get this right: Got a pot from somewhere other than W-S, use it, then take to W-S to exchange for something better? Does bad karma ring any bells? Not judging anyone. Just wouldn't do that myself. Doesn't seem right.