• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clay Pot-Cooked Legumes

slkinsey

What about these pots? The glazed one looks a bit big for me but I know some others that may have an interest. I am curious what you pot mavens think of the soapstone. Unusual concept, to me at least.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I can't answer your query about Med versus Asian using the sand\claypots, but I can tell you they do absorb aroma from spices. I have two sand pots: a medium sized one I use for beans and vegetables; and a wider one I use for tagines and stews.

That heavily glazed covered pot from the sur la table link looks fabulous, but similar to the Emile Henri line and at a much better price. I have a similar one from EH and it produces clean, good tasting stews and soups. I would imagine the Italian does as well.

I have never tried soapstone for anything but griddling Tunisian breads and it worked very well. I have no idea about cooking in that particular pot. It looks very porous which might be a good thing I just don't know.

I have an etruscan stone pot I lugged home from Torino when I attended a slowfood conference. The pot cost 200 euros! I did produce the most sublime guinea hen braised with endives. I then tried the same recipe in a le crueset casserole and the dish simply paled in comparison. As a food writer, it would be irresponsible for me to continue using that Etruscan pot for testing recipes. The pot now sits in my fireplace as a "conversational piece."

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Many thanks for your reply, Paula. You have confirmed what I was thinking about the pots absorbing the aromas. After all, if they didn't they wouldn't contribute that special character. I think I will get a sand pot for Asian and an EH or similar for Mediterranean. My smaller Hong Kong Market bombed out on me yesterday. They only had the single serving sand pots and then the really huge ones.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Sorry to be a pest about this, but you know I will anyway... :biggrin:

I went to the Emile Henry site in Amazon and found just the pot I want but then I read this:

Prized in professional and home kitchens worldwide, Emile Henry products can go directly from freezer to oven, into the microwave, through the dishwasher, and under the broiler without harming their glossy, lead-free glaze, which does not absorb odors or moisture and is so hard it will not crack, discolor, or scratch--even if food is cut on it.

(emphasis mine)

This is the one I fell in love with.

Do I get out my limp and weary gold card and go for it?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I have the same one in pale green, and I love it for braising meats and vegetables. I do use a flame tamer when I put it on top of the stove.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

• 1 year later...

I thought I would revive this thread because I'm getting more and more into the idea of cooking dried beans.

My question is: can I use the Asian style sand/claypots to cook beans in the oven? Or, stove top?

Or, should I go for one of the old school <a href=http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10117&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=bean+pot> NE Style Bean Pots</a> ?

Any suggestions on cookware would be appreciated!

Thanks for bumping this up, sourmango. And welcome to the Society. I really need more pots. :laugh:

If you are getting into dried beans, you might want to check out this thread. I think we gave the subject a good thrashing. :biggrin: While I have been using the "parson's method" from that thread, using my handy Le Creuset for the more pedestrian beans, I am a believer in clay pots. I can certainly see how they can add a lot to some of the more elaborate recipes. For a Mediterranean mood, Paula Wolfert's books have some marvelous recipes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

. My question is: can I use the Asian style sand/claypots to cook beans in the oven? Or, stove top? Or, should I go for one of the old school NE Style Bean Pots ? Any suggestions on cookware would be appreciated

Welcome sour mango to the bean lovers thread.

I am a true convert to using the Asian style sand pots to cook beans in the oven.

This is my preferred method for dried white beans: soak overnight in at least 2 inches of water to cover.

. Drain and cover with just enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add your preferred flavorings. Cover with foil and a tight fitting lid. Place in a cold oven, set the temperature to 450 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 225 and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer. The cooking time of the beans will vary according to the quality and age.

Chick peas take longer to cook..

Fifi: Thanks so much for your kind words. Wait until the week after next when I go full throttle into testing using only claypots for my next book.

Nice thing about claypots is---------------- you can afford another one!

Edited by Wolfert (log)

I have been told, as Paula mentioned earlier, that acidity should not be added to beans until after cooking. Would this be the same for lentils?

I recently saw a recipe for a lentil soup that calls for 28oz of tomatoes at the start of cooking. I haven't tried the recipe because I am concerned that the lentils will not cook properly. Would the acidity in tomatoes (especially that many) affect the way a lentil cooks?

Welcome sour mango to the bean lovers thread.

I am a true convert to using the Asian style sand pots to cook beans in the oven.

This is my preferred method for dried white beans: soak overnight in at least 2 inches of water to cover.

. Drain and cover with  just enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add your preferred flavorings. Cover with foil and a tight fitting lid. Place in a cold oven, set the temperature to 450 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 225 and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer. The cooking time of the beans will vary according to the quality and age.

Chick peas take longer to cook..

Fifi: Thanks so much for your kind words. Wait until the week after next when I go full throttle into testing using only claypots for my next book.

Nice thing about claypots is---------------- you can afford another one!

Thank you for the welcome! This is music to my ears as I already have the sand pots I need to make some beans! I'll get right on it this weekend!

Paula . . . Oh wow! Does this mean that your next book will focus on clay pot cooking? If so, I can hardly wait. I would like to see some discussion of what is glazed and what is not. A little of the materials engineer comes out here. The thermal properties of the various sorts of ceramic pots ensures even and steady heat. So . . . that is kind of a given. Where I get confused is where porous, unglazed clay or procelain is used and where it is not. Of course, even unglazed porcelain is not that permiable to flavors, but I suspect that there is some of that.

Anyway, my anticipation continues.

(Perhaps at some point we should have an all-purpose clay pot topic.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

In Tuscany the have/did have a method for cooking beans in a small amount of water in a glass bottle (old style Chianti bottle, straw removed) called "Fagioli al Fiasco". Now days you can get flask shaped bean pots made from terracotta. After learning how to cook beans in a small amount of liquid I don't think that I would ever do it another way.

Paula . . . Oh wow! Does this mean that your next book will focus on clay pot cooking? If so, I can hardly wait. I would like to see some discussion of what is glazed and what is not. A little of the materials engineer comes out here. The thermal properties of the various sorts of ceramic pots ensures even and steady heat. So . . . that is kind of a given. Where I get confused is where porous, unglazed clay or procelain is used and where it is not. Of course, even unglazed porcelain is not that permiable to flavors, but I suspect that there is some of that.

Yes, I will try to answer all your questions ....in time.

The book will be about my love of clay pot cookery on account of the special ease of this kind of cooking and the earthy quality of the results. My favorite food in the world is Mediterranean country food slowly cooked in clay.Let's say it will be more of a 'confessions of a claypot junkie' than a straight cookbook.

Adam, you are so right!

Edited by Wolfert (log)

i make Fagioli al Fiasco using my russian claypost wimilar to those. In russian cooking in claypots is very popular...

And whatever you might think/say about Ruggerio this is a very good recipe:

Fagioli al Fiasco. I made it several times with or without pancetta, with sundried tomatoes, and with calabrian hot peppers. Excellent.

:biggrin:

Hello, All; I am new here. I could just about 'blame' this thread for spurring me on to join, here!

It seems you all might be able to advise me on a dish I'm hoping to concoct; something of a "psuedo-Mediterranean-Moroccan" stew (I'm not claiming or aiming for authenticity, in this dish, just good taste).

I am thinking of trying to cook up a chickpea stew in my Romertof clay pot; these pots are unglazed. I take it from this thread this pot should 'work' ok? My claypot is a pretty large beast; so if I cook a moderate amount of chickpeas in it, there's sure to be a shallow depth of beans in the pot. I was wondering, given that, what oven temp should I cook them at, and roughly how long should I cook the chickpeas for? I'm also planning to add carrots, artichokes, maybe green beans, to the stew; and I am thinking I should add those veggies to the pot halfway through the cooking time of the chickpeas... or not?

Your expert advise is welcome!

A note to Paula W., if you are reading - thank you for inspiration. I just bought a second cookbook of yours to add to my small but carefully chosen collection.

-Cacao

society donor  fifty dollars

I have been told, as Paula mentioned earlier, that acidity should not be added to beans until after cooking. Would this be the same for lentils?

I recently saw a recipe for a lentil soup that calls for 28oz of tomatoes at the start of cooking. I haven't tried the recipe because I am concerned that the lentils will not cook properly. Would the acidity in tomatoes (especially that many) affect the way a lentil cooks? 

Let me make a correction here: You can cook legumes with tomatoes, red wine and other acids just plan on cooking them quite a bit longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my experience to this thead. I now have these four pots I cook beans in:

gallery_14551_420_7265.jpg

the red and chocolate brown pots on the left are an Italian brand that starts with a "v". I want to say Vesuvio but I know that is wrong. These are great and have a thin glaze on the inside. They have created nothing but perfect beans but I hate the hippie-brown color of the big one. Plus it's too big. I cook beans every other day and tend to cook 1/2 pounds so I prefer something a little smaller. The yellow pot was mentioned upthread. it is fine but the knob is so small it makes for lifting the hot lid very difficult. I like the shape of the pot a lot, though. The black is chambra, mentioned elsewhere. I just got it and in a word: WOW! it is unglazed and unstained and imparts a little earthy flavor to the beans. I got it at Nuestra Tierra in Half Moon Bay. it's really more a casserole than a bean pot but they are sold out of all the medium sizes and now just have minis and this one.

Summation: I'm a convert.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

. . . . .

it's really more a casserole than a bean pot but they are sold out of all the medium sizes and now just have minis and this one.

. . . . .

ACK!!!! I had better get to ordering. I have been wanting about four of the minis for reheating individual servings of braises a la Wolfert.

I sure hope they get some more of it in. I want a bean pot that holds around two quarts for those half pounds of beans. I think I will give them a call.

edit to add: I just talked to this very nice lady at Nuestra Tierra and they are getting another shipment in a couple of weeks.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

ACK!!!! I had better get to ordering. I have been wanting about four of the minis for reheating individual servings of braises a la Wolfert.

I sure hope they get some more of it in. I want a bean pot that holds around two quarts for those half pounds of beans. I think I will give them a call.

Tell her you want the $49 dollar one, and that she is forbidden to fill your order until I have mine!!!!!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Tell her you want the $49 dollar one, and that she is forbidden to fill your order until I have mine!!!!!

You are safe. :laugh: I got the 2 quart "soup pot" and four of the 2 cup casseroles.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

edit to add: I just talked to this very nice lady at Nuestra Tierra and they are getting another shipment in a couple of weeks.

rancho-gordo, I have been eyeing those Chamba pots for a year. You're pushing me over the edge now.

That's good to hear, Linda. I sent them an email a while ago. I was concerned they might not be carrying them anymore.

. . . . .

That's good to hear, Linda. I sent them an email a while ago. I was concerned they might not be carrying them anymore.

I actually called them, 888-992-0008. Apparantly, the supply is secure and they get them all the time. The lady I talked to was actually in the shop as far as I could tell. We had a nice conversation about how popular they were, Paula Wolfert (she was enthused about Paula writing a book on clay pot cookery), eGullet, etc.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"