• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten Free Roux

davidthomas8779

fava bean flour and tapioca starch. As with most things GF, substitutions must be ratios and combinations of things. when i make roux i put inthe flour until it is still a bit watery, because if you over do the flour you'll get clumps, and i finish it off with tapioca starch.

complicated, i know, but it works for me. good luck!

Edited by markovitch (log)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Buckwheat flour may work. Despite its name, I believe it is gluten free and the texture is similar to flour. It may be worth a try.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 7 years later...

I just made a beautiful roux using rice starch (50/50 starch/butter, by weight), which is readily available at any shop that sells Asian cooking ingredients (even here, amazingly). For the first couple of minutes it looked as though it was going to be grainy, but it ended up being very well-behaved.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 9 months later...

Kay - yes there is. Rice flour is the whole grain, milled. Rice starch is only the fecula, derived from either soaking or cooking the grain and then dried and collected. Rice starch is normally much much finer than rice flour.

As for the no-gluten roux, I've had excellent results with a 50-50 mixture of golden pea and quinua flours of at least 000 mesh, as well as plantain flour 50/50 with tapioca flour. Neither of these is grainy in the least, and both have engaging flavours (the pea/quinua is nutty, while the plantain/tapioca has a tropical flavour that marries well with cream).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 1 year later...