• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

i made pho tonite. had to skim the "scum"

tommy

i don't make stock very often, but i know i have to skim the "scum". just about every recipe i've read suggests this.

isn't there a fancier word for "scum"? something french maybe? suzannef?

i'm pretty sure that i don't get *all* of the scum, so i'd like to think that something better-sounding is ending up in my pho.

erm.. le Scum?

Scum by another other name, does it taste as good?

Edited by AzRaeL (log)

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I have used the term "muck". Um... that is not a lot better, is it? :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If it is the foam like skum you can just call it foam.

Or you could call it by the Japanese word aku, but be careful how you use it because aku can also mean evil or vice..... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

isn't there a fancier word for "scum"?  something french maybe?  suzannef?

I don't think she'll appreciate you callin' it that. :biggrin:

Booooo. I've seen Airplane too many times.

wahahahahhaha! i love that movie.

well she might enjoy culinary immortality.

next entry in the 2005 edition of Larousee Gastronomique -

suzannef

the froth found on top of soup, usually skimmed off before serving

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Well, hey, you wanna take my name in vain, go ahead. Just wait 'til you see what I refer to as "tommy." :biggrin:

AzRael and Phaelon beat me to it, actually. Although being the notorious stickler that I am (gotta add that to my sig line!), I must correct Phaelon: while it is indeed "le scum," it is "la crud." Equal gender opportunity, and there are very slight differences, anyway.

I think "le crud" sounds better. Very Euro. Do you have a "le crud" skimmer or are you using an ordinary spoon?

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a special skimming spoon? If so, what does it look like?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

So how was your pho? And where did you get the recipe?

turned out pretty good for a first time. thanks for asking.

i knew how to make it, but looked up a bunch of recipes anyway (they're all very similar), and applied them to what i was going to do. i think the only thing i did that i didn't expect was adding fennel seeds.

speaking of scum, i let the broth sit in the fridge for a while, and skimmed the fat off of the top. the broth turned very gelatenous, and gave me an idea for a small bite before a meal: jellied pho (it already had the shreds of ox tail beef in the broth, without the bone obviously). it was quite interesting, and very tasty. i'm going to serve a smallish slab of this jellied pho with a bit of basil and some other yet-to-be-determined pho-type garnishes. that should be enough to confuse people. working on a wine pairing, and i'm open to suggestions.

Edited by tommy (log)

I think "le crud" sounds better. Very Euro.  Do you have a "le crud" skimmer or are you using an ordinary spoon?

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a special skimming spoon? If so, what does it look like?

This

i2030.jpg

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

i'm with suzanne. although the scum seems to stick to itself, i have to imagine that a finer mesh is more desirable. is there an advantage to using a spoon like the one hillyvalley pictures?

although, i usually use a regular spoon. :sad:

edit: "finer mess". hehe.

Edited by tommy (log)

I use a round thing shaped something like the picture but with a fine SS mesh. It works great and is one of my favorite toys. It looks kind of like this.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...
is there an advantage to using a spoon like the one hillyvalley pictures?

I don't know if there is an advantage since I have never used a mesh skimmer. (the one I pictured was a gift from a noncook). I have used it a few times and it works very well.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe