• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Media & News DIGEST: Texas 2004

Richard Kilgore

The Dallas Morning News: Business Section

The Mayor of Dallas, execs with the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau, and Chefs Kent Rathburn (Abacus, Japers) and Christof Syre (Four Seasons) are in NYC today to promote Dallas as a tourist destination. They're meeting with Food & Wine, Gourmet, Bon Appetit, etc.

Suzanne Marta's article is here

My idea to attract tourists to Dallas: Plant one gigantic tree in the middle of the metroplex so it won't feel so darn hot!

The Houston Chronicle - Dining Guide

Claire Smith's cool new Heights venture awakens the senses with its freshness

Alison Cook reviews a really cool addition to the Heights, Shade. If you haven't been to 19th street in the Heights, do try to go. It really is a parallel universe and a lot of fun.

First you enter that parallel universe known as 19th Street in the Heights, where antiques stores and too-cool clothing boutiques jostle for space next to thrift stores and funky reminders of a pre-gentrified era.

T Spot a hot spot for bubble tea

Bubble tea has been popular here for ages. Another source bubbles up (sorry) in Rice Village.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Houston Press - Dining

A tide of jamlike red sauce splashes over the cuisine at Terra Bosco's

Ooopsie... Robb found a lot not to like.

"Ciao Down!" is the slogan of Terra Bosco's Italian Restaurant on Westheimer. The idiotic bilingual pun accurately reflects the sensibilities of what may be the most clueless Italian restaurant in the city.

But, after skillfully "dismantling" the restaurant, he takes on Texas Monthly restaurant reviews and things get really interesting.

Why on earth would she rank Terra Bosco's fourth in the state in this category? In an interview on the Texas Monthly Web site, Sharpe credits the magazine's Houston reviewers with keeping her in touch with the local scene. Then she adds, "I have to say that we also depend heavily on press releases from the restaurants."

That a magazine as prominent as Texas Monthly would engage in these practices is just... well... words fail me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

Ten years ago chef cooking classes began at the Dallas Farmers Market as a way to get more people to visit the facility. Kim Pierce's article is here and the companion review of the cookbook Chefs at the Market is here. Includes some recipes from top area chefs.

Want to know what to do with the fab Thai sweet chili sauce (other than drink it straight from the bottle)? Kim Pierce has a myriad of suggestions.

The Houston Chronicle - Food

In defense of the potato.

No big news here but an excellent reminder of the benefits of the lowly potato.

Grab some Lone Star pub grub

We will have to see how this "translates".

The Red Lion isn't just another fake British pub -- it's an authentically fake British pub

Hmmm... Is this an invasion? If so, which way?

Traditional British pubs are disappearing, John Whiting wrote in his e-mail. The bars don't belong to local landlords anymore; they're owned by the big breweries, which are mainly interested in attracting young drinkers with loud music and American-style lagers, he said. "Lager has in fact replaced traditional bitter as the most widely consumed drink in Britain," Whiting wrote. "If the Red Lion wants to get really authentic, it had better lay on the Bud and install a disco."

The Houston Chronicle - Dining Guide

The po' boys disappear in a flash as the party goes on at Highway 6 eatery

Alison finds what looks like a real po' boy. And that gumbo looks just like mine.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

No More Humble Pie

Shortcuts to making pot pies using ready made grocery products. Article by Tina Danze

Seafood Bisque follows the trials and tribulations of Chef Rene Peeters of Watel's restaurant as he teaches a class on Seafood Bisque. Recipe and tips from the chef are detailed in Kim Pierce's article.

Did you know that radishes come in a variety of colors and shapes? One variety is "French Breakfast". Who knew?

Susan Taylor did and her article is RAVISHING!

Follow that up with Abby Mandel's recipes for radishes beyond the same old salad.

Are you a fan of online grocery shopping? I am, and there's a new service in town. Kim Pierce tries it out: GoGoGrocer

The Dallas Morning News

Well, it's about time. Really, it's about TIME. Some of the big chain restaurants are now offering "call ahead" seating to eliminate those hour-plus waits we've all be subject to. Now instead of stressing out about how to entertain my kids while we wait for our name to be called I can stress out about timing the drive from my house to the restaurant so we don't lose our table. Article by Karen Robinson-Jacobs is here.

Why didn't someone tell me one of People magazine's Sexiest Men of 2003 was in Ft. Worth? Tyler Florence and his Food 911 crew were in town to teach Dorothy Randoll how to roast a pig. Behind-the-scene accounts and tips on how you can get Mr. Florence to hang out with you are in Going Whole Hog! Dorothy Randoll tells you how to get a roasting box here.

Oh, Shiitake! The second most popular mushroom with one too many vowels is the subject of Susan Taylor's A taste of Asia from the N. Texas prairie.

Last month the 2004 Gault Millau restaurant guide was published. Joe Ray gets some inside info from the editorial chief Marc Esquerre' and his secret inspectors.

Did you know that radishes come in a variety of colors and shapes?  One variety is "French Breakfast".  Who knew? 

Susan Taylor did and her article is RAVISHING!

Follow that up with Abby Mandel's recipes for radishes beyond the same old salad.

Are you a fan of online grocery shopping?  I am, and there's a new service in town.  Kim Pierce tries it out: GoGoGrocer

If you like online grocery shopping try:

www.DFWgrocer.com

They had an extremely easy website, and great customer service

Edited by bluestar80 (log)

Cathy Barber and Karen Elizabeth Watts offer 20 tips for a better buffet.

Paul Simon offers 50 Ways to Leave your Lover.

I hope my mother-in-law reads this one: Kosher Wines Improve by Jeffrey Weiss.

Sharon Hudgins' profile of Flavors From Afar, a new specialty food store opening up in Snider Plaza. Here's their Website.

The Houston Chronicle - Food

Ceremonial Seder foods play a meaningful part in Passover tradition

Who knew matzo could be colorful?

Good recipes are included.

Cafe Bijan makes treats so good, somebody's grandma must've made them

"What are the odds of running into a Serbo-Croatian-speaking Afghani at a Persian restaurant in an Indian neighborhood?" I joke with my tablemates. I'm about to begin my "wonders of Hillcroft" speech when I'm interrupted by Loreta's baklava.

But you can't get baklava for breakfast.

The Houston Chronicle - Dining

Chef Jeff Armstrong's simple but elegant fare revives hotel restaurant

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

There are three things that scare me: sharks, serial killers, and deviled eggs. Call me crazy but anytime I see that bright yellow and white orb hanging out on a buffet table (usually on a hot summer day) I feel like this: :wacko: . Call the sanitation police!

But for those of you who love the little devils, Debbie Moose has a new cookbook called Deviled Eggs and her article The Devil, you say reports that Gourmet a Go-Go (previously referenced in this thread) has a deviled-egg bar where you can mix a variety ingredients with the yolks for something beyond the mayo and paprika version. Recipes and advice on cooking eggs are here.

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Sunday Best by Amy Culbertson reports on Russel Cronkhite's A Return to Sunday Dinner. The egullet thread on Sunday Dinner is here.

Houton Chronicle

Alison Cook reviews Beso HERE

Historical street names and restaurants in Houston HERE

Houston Press:

Are you sure that "old-fashioned" burger patty is what it claims to be? Robb Walsh's "investigative" reporting might prove you worng. Moore's Double Horn Grill

Carnitas at Chipotle?? I don't think so. HERE

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Dallas Morning News: Business

Cheryl Hall's report on the lower prices of quality wines now appearing in restaurants: When it's chic to be cheap

Dallas Morning News: House and Garden

I love this story! Three Denton County men stopped hunting and fishing to collect blue-and-white English transferware (that's china...I didn't know what that was either). The history and developments of Wedgewood, Dalton, etc. are featured in Barbara Rodriguez's piece: The Flow Blue Brothers