• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Media & News DIGEST: Texas 2004

Richard Kilgore

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Wow! The tomato is Mr. Popular these days. Last week the DMN featured the toe-MAY-toe and this week the Star Telegram has their take on the toe-MAH-toe. Let's call the whole thing off and move on to the next article.....

The Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

Ed Bruske delves into the mortar and pestle known as a molcajete. What can you do with it? Where can you get one? Mind your molcajete.

The Dallas Observer

Mark "I know how to use a thesaurus" Stuertz reviews the Dallas outpost of New York's Il Mulino. Velvet Boot. Comparing his review with Dottie Griffith's DMN review and two things are clear. Il Mulino offers superb food and you will need a bank loan to eat it.

When you are finished reading up on Il Mulino check out Dave Faries column on What is soup kitchen food like? Makes you feel like an idiot for wanting to go to Il Mulino doesn't it?

Lone Stars: A Guide to Texas wines by Wes Marshall.

Marshall states that there are 17 wineries within two hours of Dallas/Ft. Worth and he highlights most of them and their products in this article.

Kim Pierce looks into two local microwineries: Nashwood Winery and San Martino Winery and Vineyard: Microwineries

and now for something completely different....

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Gelatin Salads by Amy Culbertson.

Houston Chronicle Food section:

Picnic? Outdoors? In Houston’s summer? Janice Schindeler explains how to have a successful and enjoyable picnic with several good recipes. Picnic Paradise

A Taste of Portugal. The only Portuguese restaurant in Houston. RJ Middleton writes a short report about this place. check out at A Portuguese Paradise

I'm thinking the word paradise was required in any article title this week.

Michael Lansford Describes an interesting wine pairing at a Pappas Bros Steakhouse "California Cult Wine Dinner". read about it in Playing Matchmaker

note to self: check when the next wine dinner is, these sound like fun.

Please note that starting a few minutes ago, registration is required to read the chronicle online. It is free though.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Houston Chronicle: Dining Guide

Alison Cook raves about Playa De Loro, a Galveston Tex-Mexish restaurant and sabotages a customer’s attempt to steal a sugar caddy. Read all about it here.

Andrew Guy Jr. reports about “Florida’s Kitchen”, a tiny hole-in-the-wall in Livingston serving the best ribs. It might just be worth the drive and you have to read what the employee of the year gets at “Florida’s Kitchen”. Click here.

Ken Hoffman tries the new C2 from Coca Cola, and concludes that it just doesn’t add up. If you are a Hoffman fan click here

Houston Press: Dining

A few days ago I had no idea what Injera is. Today Robb Walsh reviews Addisaba where they serve very good Injera. Read about it here

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Openings

Chef Bruce Auden and Lisa Wong team up to open Acenar, a foray into Modern Tex-Mex. I did eat there and the Cabrito en Chile Ancho was pretty darn tasty! The menu mix is great and a vibrant atmosphere.

Review by Chris Jones in the AOL City Guide.

Review by Ron Bechtol in the San Antonio Current.

San Antonio Current

Also, an ambiguous yet promising review of Ocean Star. Although I've yet to eat there, I like the menu and style of Chef Paprocki. (Personally, I think 'ol Ron Bectol was just having a bad day.... :laugh: )

Ocean Star, reviewed by Ron Bechtol in the San Antonio Current.

spoonbread

Houston Chronicle's Dining Guide:

A fascinating short interview by Dai Huynh with A.J. Baime author of Big Shots: The Men Behind the Booze. If the interview material was that interesting I am sure the book is worth a look through…who would’ve known that Captain Morgan was such a brutal personality, for that matter I did not even know he was real.

Check it outHERE

Allison Cook reviews the latest addition to the “upscale lifestyle center” in the Woodlands, aka The Woodlands Mall. Brio is a “Tuscan Grill” chain, that might be worth a stop if you are in the area. Read the review.

Ken Hoffman LOVES the new Taco Bell Burrito, it’s new, cheap and big. Who could ask for more? Right? And Ode to Taco Bell is a click away

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Houston Press Dining section:

"British curry houses are to Indian food what Tex-Mex restaurants are to Mexican cuisine. And just as Tex-Mex standards like fajitas, margaritas and nachos are now popular in Mexico, so have British favorites like chicken tikka masala become increasingly common in India."

Robb Walsh reviews London Sizzler a brand new (a little too new to be reviewed I thought) British-Indian dining spot on the Southwest Freeway feeder. I tried their Vegetable Jalferazi (sp?) a couple of weeks ago and it was very spicy but good. To see what Mr. Walsh thinks of the place click

HERE

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Think Pink

Kim Pierce reviews the superior pink wine, the rose'. (I can't figure out how to add an accent to the "e" so the article is not about the flower ok?)

The Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Stuck on Cactus

Barbara Hansen takes on the Mexican nopales, described as "prickly pear paddles". Make nopales a pal of yours.

The Dallas Observer

Innards and Outs

Which is more disgusting: haggis, scrapple or headcheese? Dave Faries and some local chefs discuss and disgust.

Houston Chronicle's Dining Guide

Despite the apparent absence of Grady Spears, the Burning Pear is still one of Sugarland’s best. Allison Cook's review

Dai Huynh visits a wonderful mom and pop pie shop in Katy, where everything is made from scratch, to-order and a $3 deposit is required for the Pyrex pie plates. Read about it HERE

Houston Press' Dining section

Robb Walsh finds an Oasis in the restaurant desert called the Hights in Houston but cannot get a drink! A review of Shade

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Houston Chronicle's Dining Guide:

Allison Cook recommends the buffet at Mayuri. However, the dinner menu is inconsistent. Read full review

here.

Houston Press Dining Section:

Robb Walsh compares Colombian roasted chicken from Dodo’s and Pollo Riko. Who wins? “Whose cuisine reigns supreme?” Read about “Bogota’s Best Birds” here.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

D Magazine: The Best of Big D

D Magazine's annual "Best Of" issue is out. It features the magazine's editors and writers picks for best dining, nightlife, services, things to do, etc. It is usually only online for a month:

D Magazine Home Page.

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Amy Culbertson visits the Johnson Melon Corporation of Knox City, home of the seedless watermelon. Seeds of Success

By the way, if you are ever singing a song and don't know all the words just sing the word "watermelon". It always fits right in. Try it.

Barbara Rodriguez is in a pickle: Pickles, quick!

I think the word "pickle" will work in a song too, but not as good as watermelon.

Austin-American Statesman

Dale Rice gives a glowing review of Jefferey'sand Chef David Garrido.

Review

Austin Chronicle

Rachel Feit gives a veeeerry long review of 7, a restaurant in Austin that let's you control the amount of portions you want on your plate. The idea isn't new, but in her review, she wonders if such a concept can really work.

Review

Edited by spoonbread (log)

Houston Chronicle's Food Section:

Sushi State

Janice Schindeler discusses America's and houston's fascination with this food. Tips and recipes are included as well as an address for a Hosuton Japanese grocery store, I know I will check this place out.

Sake lovers thrill to the chill

Would you like some Sake with your Sushi? Janice Schindeler explains this Japanese beverage.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Houston Press Dining section:

Wild or Mild

“Each bite lubricates my lips with hot goat grease.”

“Authenticity is a powerful thing. Not enough and you get boring food, too much and you frighten the children.”

The latest from Robb Walsh, a review of La Raza and 100% Taquito, is a must read, one of his best. So much more than just a food joint’s review. If the two quotes above are not enough to stimulate your interest then the first two paragraphs alone are worth taking some time from your day to read.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Houston Chronicle Dining Guide:

Fit To be Tried

Alison Cook reviews Julia's Bistro, a bumpy ride.

Clearly Profitable

Think restaurant wines have a high markup? Check out what Dia Huynh finds out about bottled waters in restaurants. What ever happened to tap water?

Drink a Krispy Kreme doughnut

By Ken Hoffman....'nough said.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

All hail the Greek Salad by Kim Pierce.

If you are enjoying the single life this will make it better. If you are hating the single life this will make it better. The fact is cake makes everything better.

Tiny Cake by Cheryl Ng Collett.

Right next to the cake story they print a story about two new low-carb stores in town. That's cruel!

Carb Counters by Kim Pierce.

And in the local news section Katie Menzer has a story about cooks getting ready for The Texas State Fair food contests. Time to get cookin'.

The Ft. Worth Star Telegram

It's harvest time for organic rice growers L.G. and Linda Raun. Amy Culbertson features this Wharton County farm and offers a primer on types of rice.

Going against the grain.

Martha Sheridan goes to the Pure Luck Dairy in Dripping Springs. Pure Luck makes several types of chevre, feta, Del Cielo and Sainte Maure. The article includes the basics of making goat cheese and where to purchase Pure Luck's products.

With the passing of Julia Child, Kim Pierce asked several Dallas area people who had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Child what they remember. click.