• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Media & News DIGEST: Texas 2004

Richard Kilgore

FT. Worth Star Telegram

Pan Pals: Readers wrote in on the history and uses of their favorite pans. Very egulletish.

The Dallas Morning News: Food

KERA (the local PBS station) has some new cooking shows added to their lineup. Kim Pierce provides show details and broadcast times. KERA

Houston Press

Is it Mexican-Lebanese food, Lebanese-Mexican or maybe Greek-Lebanese-Mexican?? Read about this interesting filling station in Robb Walsh's Juicy Juxtaposition review of Al's Quick (or Kwik) Stop

Houston Chronicle

Ken Hoffman onBall Park Hot Dogs

and

Round Top Cafe's Bud Royer drives for miles to find good eats prepared with loving care

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

Nothing like a Fat Bastard and a Big Ass Kangeroo hanging out at the dinner table.

What's in a name? by Kim Pierce checks out some of the "more interesting" named wines. Mr. Kendall Jackson: you are boring.

More fun with labels.

"She's a Lady, wo wo wo, she's a lady": Spain's Maria Martinez-Sierra, winemaker for Bodegas Montecillo is visiting Dallas tomorrow. Tina Danze has the details.

The 2004 Dallas Wine and Food Festival sponsered by The Dallas Morning News is next week. Kim Pierce highlights the events.

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Tim Madigan: The Adventures of Grill Man, first in a series.

Amy Culbertson Shops 'n Scans her way through Albertson's using their new technology for customers to keep track of their purchases and spending. Now if Albertson's would just invent a technology to keep their stores cleaner that would be the ticket. That's right, I said it.

Houston Chronicle Dining Guide

Allison Cook's Review of Chez Nous Chef/Owner Brach re-claims his restaurant which he sold to his sous chef in 2000 and seems to be heading in the right direction.

Great Caribbean Island Food in Houston including one of my favorites: Cafe Piquet.

Where to take mom for mother's day? I say cook her a meal at home. click here for the Chronicle's suggestions

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

From Laura H. Ehret: Five things to do with GARLIC.

Scaring away vampires is not one of them.

From Samantha Critchell of the Associated Press: Emeril wants to get kids cooking.

Emeril will be signing copies of his book "Emeril's There's a Chef in my Family" on May 18 at Waldenbooks in North East Mall, Hurst. BAM!

From the Associated Press and the DMN: More cookbooks for kids.

Ft.Worth Star Telegram

From Amy Culbertson: The Derby Table.

Does not include recipes for horse meat.

Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Susan Combs is revamping the school nutrition program. Jessie Milligan interviews her and provides a look into what our kids will be blaming the cafeteria lady for in the future. Mystery Meat.

Jessie Milligan also spent 5 days eating school lunch. Her conclusion? Bring on the Tums.

Wayne Lee Gay has Dessert Tamales.

Amanda Kingsbury reviews Joe T's Margaritas

Susan Taylor interviews Steven Pomerantz who left advertising and opened Cupcake Kitchen.

A kitchen of cupcakes? I think this guy is my new best friend.

Loroco. What is it? Where to get it? Mary G. Ramos tells all.

Passage to India by Tina Danze suggests using Indian spices when grilling. Recipes and information on Suneeta Vaswani's book Easy Indian Cooking is here. Ms. Vaswani will teaching an Indian grilling class at Sur La Table on July 14 and she will lead an Indian Market tour and lunch on July 15. Call 214-219-4404 for more info and reservations.

An now for something completely different: Michael's Mexican and Oriental Market has opened in Dallas. Susan Taylor has info on what the store offers, hours of operation, A TAKEOUT RESTAURANT!!, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Houston Chronicle - Food

Cookbook offers visual, culinary history of Tex-Mex

As we might expect, Janice Schindeler has caught up with the latest buzz about Robb's book.

Chef Dad

And... In keeping with the theme for this weekend, we have a discussion about dad's in the kitchen. This is a trend that I see increasing among my acquaintances and i think it is great. But, should Dad cook on his day? Well, maybe. :biggrin:

The Houston Chronicle - Dining

Up and down at Barcino

Alison is not altogether happy at the latest tapaville.

I may be persuaded to travel for this chicken.

Great story. I want this chicken.

The Houston Press - Dining

Robb on the pleasures of BYOB.

Spotted Cock

OK... Readjust your brain to food. :raz: Then, prepare to be confused about this dish. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Dallas Morning News: Religion

A local Rabbi is well on his way to putting kosher beef from Texas in area stores. Writer Susan Hogan/Albach visits a slaughterhouse in Coke, TX: Making his mark, views the degrees of keeping kosher, and notes that Camel is never kosher.

Red Alert by Kim Pierce lauds the Texas tomato.

Writer Martha Sheridan reviews new cookbooks aimed at guys. Male Call includes recipes.

The Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Today is the Texan holiday June Nineteenth. Jane P. Marshall's article Freedom Feast has the origins and evolutions of this unique celebration.

Food section of the Houston chronicle talks about wines:

Tips for throwing the perfect wine tasting partyand pairing wine with cheese

The African American Wine Tasting Society has a Houston chapter, read all about it.

A tasty looking fried yuca and pork recipe, courtesy of Café Red Onion (a highly recommended dining spot ). Someone should tell the writer that yuca is a little more than just in Mexican cooking.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Announcement

Elie Nassar was doing such a great job with "Whine & Dine" and covering Houston Food media while Fifi was away for a while, that we invited him to join the eGullet Texas Media DIGEST Team. Elie will be the lead DIGESTer for Houston, and Fifi will be his backup.

Thanks, Elie.

Houston Chronicle: Dining Guide

Alison Cook reviews Osaka, the friendly montrose sushi place. Read about it here

A Houston favorite is -finally- expanding it's space. Dai Huynh gives us the details about Niko Niko's long awaited renovation.

A Vietnamese couple make their mark on Clearlake with their ice cream shop. The 49+ flavors include anything from Durian to orange chocolate. Dai Huynh reports.

Houston Press: Dining

Brian McManus reviews Cafe Annie. His review is a little strange, he claims to love his mom as much as the quail and proclaims Robert Del Grande God.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog