• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Duck Fat: The Topic

FoodMan

I made all my 120 burrito wheat flour wrappers with chicken fat but duck fat would work too. Two oz. per pound flour but it would give the tortillas a nice 'animal' flavour like the chicken fat did.

Last year I ran out of chicken fat and used duck fat in my chopped liver, and it worked out pretty well.  I imagine that it would be fine in a paté.  I also put some in matzoh balls at around the same time.  Gave them a nice change from schmaltz-flavored balls.

... Shel

Not looking for anything flash-fried, something more subtle and creative.

Hmm.  Does "not flash-fried" include both stir-frying and pan-frying or anything that uses duck fat in a hot pan?  If so, it seems you might be cutting out lots of nice ways to use it.  "Subtle" and "creative" is in the mind of the beholder.  Do these terms include anything non-Western, or even Western-but-pan-fried?

Even in the simplest Western style cuisine – have you tried frying eggs or making omelettes (French/Parisian style or otherwise) using duck fat?

What about soups or braises with duck pieces where the rendered duck fat during the course of cooking forms the fat-flavoring component of the dish?  I have, for example, added extra duck fat to some braises/stews/soups of mine to augment what was rendered out – that would count in this topic.  The result was scrumptious, even if in some cases it may not have been in a Western style as you seem to prefer, from this thread and other posts of yours.  The principle could be adapted, I would think.

Edited by huiray (log)

When living in the south of France, I always had plenty of duck fat around. I often used it to pan fry scallops. And there is a wonderful recipe from J. McLagan for duck biscuits (using duck fat, plus cracklings).

I liked to use it for baking all kind of root vegetables and to cook cabbage.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1