• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tavern on the Green

Jaymes

Jaymes, although a lot of what's been said about the food at Tavern on the Green is true, I completely understand your position. It's the thought that counts sometimes.

I also agree with the advice - simple food, special wine (IF it's covered; some gift certificates don't cover alcohol, tax or gratuity so your daughter should check first and plan accordingly).

My parents love visiting NYC even now that I don't live there (hmm...) and a lot of their friends who aren't as in-tune with New York's fine dining scene want to check out TOTG. My parents love food, but they aren't foodies by any stretch of the imagination, so TOTG suits them fine. They like the over-the-top atmosphere which, to them, screams MANHATTAN. Although I disagree, who am I to spoil their fun?

jaymes, i wouldn't go there. i heard it's not good.

:raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I want to thank those of you that pitched in here to help. If you read back through this thread, there is some really good information, and some excellent tips.

I know it wasn't easy to admit that you went there -- so I appreciate your speaking up in this public forum. It seems to have some sort of "confessional" flavor. Like you should maybe start a support group:

"Hello, my name is Bob and I ate at Tavern on the Green. But it wasn't my fault. I was running with the wrong crowd and they were a bad influence. And I didn't inhale...I just experimented a little."

:laugh:

So seriously, I've got some good advice to pass on to my daughter, which is more than I had before, and I very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I know it wasn't easy to admit that you went there -- so I appreciate your speaking up in this public forum. It seems to have some sort of "confessional" flavor. Like you should maybe start a support group:

hell, i'd trade places with her in a minute. i'm sure her night will be more interesting than mine.

You know, I'll give them that. It must have been stunning at one time,and you can still see it though all the glitz these days.

Do you mean back when it was a sheepfold? :smile:

I think the gift certificate was a very thoughtful gift, even if egulleteers would have preferred $300 for "Daniel" or "Mix". I haven't been to Tavern on the Green in years, but I think it is probably a great experience for Tourists, and non-food obsessed NY'ers.

• 4 weeks later...

They DID go. And armed with the info on this thread, they ordered steaks and expensive wine. They had a grand time. They trotted around Central Park in a carriage, and my sweet daughter got herself proposed to.

Actually, if any of you are interested, you can go to nbcpix.com, and put in F257506, and then click on <go> and about halfway down the page, you can see my "kids." My prospective son-in-law is wearing a black jacket (I think it is) and a knit cap.

And on Friday night, they went to Amma where Suvir entertained them with his customary kindness, generosity and skill.

They said that while the Tavern on the Green was "beautiful," that Amma was absolutely fabulous.

In fact, they have decided to get married next summer in Mexico, and have determined on the strength of their meal at Amma that Suvir must be the guest of honor!

And their hotel for the week was the Hudson, which they also very much enjoyed.

All in all, hard to imagine a more marvelous New Year's Eve in New York.

:biggrin:

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I'm happy that had a wonderful time. My suggestion would have been to have any of the steaks on the menu, NY Strip, Filet or Rib Eye. I worked at Tavern on the Green as Executive Sous Chef.

All of my friends said I was crazy, that I was going to unlearn everything I had done up to that point but I was impressed by the vision that Warner LeRoy had for that restaurant. In my first few months there I read through old memos between the previous chefs (including Patrick Clark) and Warner and I was always amazed at Warner's relentless pursuit of quality. He never wanted to hear about how something was going to save him money or be more efficient, he just wanted the best. Even our french fries were given a team of researchers and we followed their recommendation of storing the potatoes at a warehouse in Queens under certain conditions so that the sugar in the potatoes would age and convert back to starch so the fries didn't brown before they were cooked through. We bought osso bucco that cost 50% more than what other restaurants paid because it was the perfect center cut, you could only get one cut from the shank instead of 2 or 3.

Warner spent every holiday and birthday at the restaurant with his family.

You got the feeling that if the restaurant was the best it could be and he didn't make a dime it he'd be satisfied. For him it was about giving NY something special.

Now, on a day to day level, Tavern has a lot of constraints put on it that make a lot of chefs stay away from trying to run it. It can seat almost 3,000 people and will have brunch for 3,000 during the holiday season. It's a union shop and that limits their ability to have new cooks come in to help breathe new life into the restaurant (every great restaurant needs to sometimes reinvent itself with new, energetic staff). On a personal level, I had a hard time there. It was a 6 day a week grind and a bit overwhelming to be more than 10 years younger than most of the staff and to try and tell them how to do their job. But on the same hand, some of the union sous chefs who run each station were some great cooks. The guy who runs the pasta station was a Tuscan who had immeasurable pride in his work.

So if you go, get the pastas, the steaks or the fries and avoid the holidays. I defy anybody to do 3 star food 1,500 covers at a time. You are paying just for the ambiance (which, even though it hasn't been redone in 25 years is so over the top that it just overwhelms you). They drop the price significantly after the holiday season so you can get a good deal in Jan, Feb & March

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! It is indeed a happy time for our family.

:rolleyes:

I too have mixed feelings about TotG. I haven't been there in several years, and only whilst during private parties that my firm gives every so often to the non-legal staff.

My recollection is that the plat de fruits de mer is good to very good (how can you go wrong with shrimp, oysters, clams and cockles is beyond me), the pastas are very good (but not quite on the level of the tasting menu at Babbo), and the Caesar salad is a good rendition of a timeless classic.

That said, TotG has decent food for its price range, but is in my humble opinion, more well known for the setting, ambience and at times, quality of service. :hmmm:

Soba

My recollection is that the plat de fruits de mer is good to very good (how can you go wrong with shrimp, oysters, clams and cockles is beyond me)

Never been there, but it's a cinch to screw up seafood: Just serve fishy-tasting seafood that's too old. There are places where I would never order mussels or clams for that reason. Also, you can overcook the shrimp pretty easily.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's episode of MTV's Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica included a very special anniversary dinner at none other than Tavern on the Green.

Nick & Jessica loved their steak.

The episode made me happy for Jaymes all over again.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I went to ToTG for an event. It wasn't my first choice either, but it's very pretty outside (The inside is a bit overdecorated for my taste). Looking at the menu, I would definitely go with filet mignon. The beef was the best thing at our event, and I wouldn't trust them not to overcook fish.

Oops! Just saw they went! Congratulations to your daughter and her fiance!

Edited by Amuse Bouche (log)

Thanks again to all my cyber-buddies for your good thoughts. Now I'm busy trying to plan a June wedding.

The Lord giveth and the Lord (and caterers) taketh away.

:biggrin: