• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting vegetables right

fresco

I haven't tried fennel, yet. If I see some that looks good I definitely will.

Fifi, try making a fennel gratin with potato, leek and stilton. Rowrrrrrrrr...

I've recently converted to roasting green beans with anchovies, OO, garlic + cherry tomatoes - or even just naked (the beans, the BEANS, not me). Honourable mention also goes to courgette fingers roasted in OO with rosemary + whole unpeeled garlic cloves, served with feta cheese crumbled over + a squeeze of lemon.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Marie-Louise,

A favourite way with daikon is to stir-fry it with small slices of beef and chinese celery (kan choy).

Julienne the daikon (add some julienned carrots too, if you like) and marinate some slices of beef with soy sauce, salt, sugar, sesame oil and a touch of cornstarch. Brown some minced garlic in a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the marinated beef slices and fry for a while before adding the julienned daikon, carrots and around 1/3 cup of water. Once the daikon and carrots are cooked, stir in some chopped chinese celery and serve.