• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gourmet food delivered

I'm a cook living in a Canadian city, and I've been interested in the growing trend towards gourmet foods provided to the busy yet descriminating foodie. I've seen the web site for the grocer on Elgin, and I wonder if anyone has tried their products and could comment on the quality, price and convenience of this service. It seems London is on the edge of food trends these days, and I want to start a similar service here in Canada. Any comments/ideas?

Thanks,

Champignon

I have eaten a few of their things -- I live quite nearby.

I had some mushroom risotto which was ok. They have some good sauces --some very good custard!.

The way they are presented is a little off-putting, (in sealed plastic) because you don't get the impression that the stuff is really fresh.

I haven't become a regular customer, just because I like cooking, and I prefer the prepared food from Tavola on Westbourne Grove -- where you can see the stuff coming out of the kitchen.

I've been there several times.

The most important thing about the operation is that all of the food, to my understanding, comes from the kitchen of The Sugar Club near by - so it's a matter of an already existing operation working up to its capacity, rather than a shop having to lay out for a kitchen plus staff.

The food looks great, though I haven't tasted much. Very simple packaging, simple logo, and generally big pot food that you could do relatively simply in bulk, and then sell - so, duck confit, braised lamb shanks etc. They also have some interesting deserts.

Beyond that, they have deals with pasta firms, risotto rice etc, to repackage the stuff under the 'Grocer' label - which again is done very attractively. You know the 'generic' section in US supermarkets - like that - one or two words, monochromatic, but much more stylish.

The prices are not cheap, though I couldn't place them accurately. Essentially, it's restaurant food, repackaged simply, cheaply, for the deli and take home market.

I think it would be well worth looking into duplicating the general ideas elsewhere. Best of luck.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I should say also - The Sugar Club (which is a restaurant) has Peter Gordon in the kitchen, a well known New Zealnd chef - so that must've helped for financing.

Here's a link if anyone else is interested.

It's just off ladbroke grove, near portobello.

[edt to add link]

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

A similar place has just opened up in Winchester (Where I work). It serves basically upmarket ready meals rather than the ready to cook type (Like that place in waterloo station, can't remember the name).

It seems to have a worryingly large amount of choice though.

Does the whole lot though, starters, mains desserts and wine - probably go down a bomb in Winchester.

I'm confused by the choice of dishes that these places do though - people have already mentioned pasta and risotto - probably the two most unreheatable foods known to man - lamb shanks, fine (And probably get better for the reheating), stews, curries, fine - but risotto?

If anyone has a way of resurrecting leftover risotto (Apart from making 'arancini') I'd love to know - I always make too much!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Ah, but arancini are a reason to live, in my book.

And I never seem to have any left over, no matter how much I cook!

Flickr Food

I've had their mashed potato and their sausage stew (I'm sure it's really called something much more appetizing) - both were a bit dull - more seasoning needed. But their meringues are exceptional and I'll vote for the custard too! it is quite expensive, but then, they've totally picked their market - tired and enervated Notting Hillinois who want high-end comfort food for in front of the telly and who don't mind paying a bit more than Marks & Spencer prices for the convenience. Also, the clear vacuum pouches (which BTW are quite an expensive way of packaging food, if you're thinking of doing this yourself) mean you actually see what you're getting instead of a photograph of some idealized dish. That and the open shelves sort of say subliminally, 'this is all FRESH' (sorry to contradict you, balex!)

So: 10/10 for convenience, 7/10 for price, 6.5/10 for quality (based on my limited experience of four items).

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I've had their mashed potato and their sausage stew (I'm sure it's really called something much more appetizing) - both were a bit dull - more seasoning needed. But their meringues are exceptional and I'll vote for Notting Hillinois ...

:biggrin::laugh:

A classic of our time.

Flickr Food

Ah, but arancini are a reason to live, in my book.

And I never seem to have any left over, no matter how much I cook!

We have taken to cooking extra - i.e. more than four servings' worth (for two people) otherwise we'd have none left over for arancini - also known as suppli al telefono in our house, as the cheese inside stretches when melted to resemble high tension telephone wires !