• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

** VOTE FOR eGullet.com in the TOP 100 Culinary Sites! **

I just voted for the fifth time this week. Counting my vote, eGullet should be no 68 within an hour.

BTW: Have you noticed that eGullet has got almost the furthest on the list with least votes given (at least compared to the sites in the near vicinity on the list). Average vote given to eGullet is now almost 4.82 (my vote counted). Only PassionateAboutFood.net (no 67) seems to have a higher average vote (almost 4.93).

We are going to need around another 400 votes to make it into the top 50, but as we have now avoided the cut, I can see no reason for us not to make it.

Could all the co-ordinators at the very least promise to vote every day if they are at their computers. That would give us a minimum of 17 votes a day which would mean we could do it in just over within 3 weeks, excepting bank holidays of course. A little something for virtually nothing really.

being retired at 50,000 votes means you're permanently enshrined to the right of the active voting.

FWIW, many sites don't seem to be getting any votes

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quote: from Rail Paul on 10:04 pm on Dec. 19, 2001

being retired at 50,000 votes means you're permanently enshrined to the right of the active voting.

Yes... but does that enshrinement get you more exposure than a #1 position?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We have now attained the incredible position of 63 in the cheftochef hot 100 and just 7 votes away from the 62nd spot.

I think Roy Castle said it all when he sang : "If you want to beat the rest, if you want to be the best, dedication's what you need"

Keep voting, and maybe we to can be record breakers  (this will mean nothing to our American chums, but I kind of like it that way).

I'm curious... once we conquer chef2chef, will we then go on to conquer other powerful and important food web directories one at a time until we dominate them all? :)

You know... I can't FIND any other web food directories that are based on votes.  http://www.chefheaven.com/Ratings/ is the closest I've seen... and no site has more than 11 votes, except for one oddball with 52 votes.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have to eat crow (does anyone have a good recipe for braised crow, or something?). I posted here a while back that eGullet doesn't have the traffic to make any serious impact on this poll. But when this thread started we were #94 and now we're #59 --- FIFTY-NINE for heavens sake.

Today #59, tomorrow the world......

All it will prove is that we have been dumb enough to vote every day for the next couple of months. What it may achieve on the other hand is bringing some new users to the site. I think getting on the first page will do the trick, then trying to get to number 1 will be sheer hubris.

Getting to number 1 would be a hubris Napoleon with a mortar of foie gras. Don't much care for fois gras. Although I like liverwurst with minced onions on toast with mustard and a Pilsner.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

eGullet is now 56 on this list. With just over 100 new votes, it will move to position 52!

Then there's a huge jump of several hundred votes to the next cluster (51-45), so remember -

VOTE EARLY and VOTE OFTEN

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

now at 52nd place...on a roll!

there's a need for 500 votes to move to position 51, 300 subsequent votes will move egullet to position 46.

Rosie's got a shot at moving to position 10, so put a vote there, too

VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!!!

rancho gordo

We're gonna eventually climb to #2 with absolutely no problem ,but #1 is gonna be tough...

The difference in votes between #2 and #1 is so steep that it might actually be easier to get eGullet the #1 position by voting "That's My Home" off the top of the list into the "retired" 50,000 vote status.  

#1 That's My Home   7480  32261

#2 Hub-UK    4610  18854

#25 LocalWineEvents.com    1515  7408

(to get onto 1st page)

#50 Dez1.com   789  3562

(to get onto 2nd page)

#52 eGullet.com     631  3086

(current)

Please note that Jacques Pépin is now Chef of the Month instead of Martin Yan!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Guys we are battling for #50 and #51 with Dez1.com, we are facing the dreaded downward pointing green arrow!

Rally people, Rally!!!!!!! Lets get over the hump!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

JP, we're at #50 now, so you'll need to change the home page link, and perhaps you should post a new one here. Congratulations, I know this is as much a realization of your dream as it is of mine.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)