• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

** VOTE FOR eGullet.com in the TOP 100 Culinary Sites! **

That's because we took down the unsightly link that was at the top of every eGullet page. We are devising a plan to have a much larger emblem that fills the entire screen. Then we shall fulfill our destiny.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No position progress over the past 24 hours and only about 15 votes recorded. eGullet has to leap over the California Avocado Board and others to join Crisco.com among the 75 who move forward.

That's about 700 votes to go...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quote: from Kristian on 1:09 am on Dec. 4, 2001

The number of votes for eGullet is quite low at the moment. If we want to keep it on the list, we all have to vote for it furiously for the next few days. After all, they drop the lowest 25 from the list every month.

I have voted for eGullet twice now (don't know if it counts multiple votes, but I'm trying...)

I think the secret is to rate all the other sites "fair" and "poor", thereby bringing them down. (I gave Martha Stewart a 1.)

While the instructions are unclear, the impression I have is that it's total points not average points per vote. Thus everyvote counts to increase a site's points. I was at Martha's site once. It was very clearly organized as I recall and deserves a point for that alone.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think the secret is to rate all the other sites "fair" and "poor", thereby bringing them down. (I gave Martha Stewart a 1.)

The secret (unfortunately) is to NOT vote for the other sites at all.  Every point given to another site reduces the chance of your site to be above that bottom 25 before it gets tossed at the end of the month.

The system sucks, in other words.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This is a a silly game.

The ranking is based on the points given on each vote (out of 5). Currently eGullet is #88. To get to #76 we would need 642 points, which is the quivalent of 129 people giving us a 5-star rating while NO-ONE voted for any of the 12 sites above us.

This site simply doesn't have the activity level required to achieve this, since almost certainly all the other sites are telling their members to vote, just as we are.

It's a fruitless exercise, designed only to give the chef2chef site a high click rate so they can charge their advertisers higher rates (more fool the advertisers :) )

Oh come on.

We're THREE POSITIONS AWAY from beating MarthaStewart.com. Isnt that a worthwhile goal? :)

We've gone from like #94 to #86 in like a week or so... we should be able to make #75 by the end of the month and ensure our continued placement on the list if we try.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here's that link:

http://chef2chef.net/rank/inter4.shtml

Vote, vote, vote, and give our lives meaning. Thanks!

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sigh.

I've voted every day but the progress seems negligible.

Sisyphus looks over at me and laughs.

I'd never heard of chef2chef before this poll.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Question:

The next plateau after safely getting into the Top 75 is obviously to get to the page before... and so on until the first page and eventually to #1.   A mere 7300 votes or so will do it...

Is the next step beyond THAT for eGullet to someday many years in the future to get "50,000 points"... thus reassuring us that we get a permanent small square banner alongside every chef2chef page?  You know... along with those all-time greats "World Wide Recipes" and "Recipe Du Jour".

Is your boundless ambition burning that brightly, Jason?  Do you dare hope and dream for the immortalization of eGullet in such a prestigious fashion?

Those will truly be golden days.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Progress seemed negligible, but it appears that no one is voting for most of those sites and we are now on page three and unlikely to be dropped if we keep it up. The new url is http://chef2chef.net/rank/inter3.shtml

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Watch out Buffalo-Nickel.com (Buffalo Products and Recipes): You're next.

Aaah, guys...we lost it. There's no more eGullet on chef2chef.com.
On the contrary. We've moved up a page and Jason's link was specific to the 75-100 ranks. We're at 71 as I write and and you need to click back to that page, or use this link: http://chef2chef.net/rank/inter3.shtml.

The next jump up is a big one. There's a 107 point spread. That's 22 votes at 5 points each, if no one votes for SimplyCooking. Page 2, the top 50 is a bit further away. We need 2066 points or 414 five point votes and likely more by the time we get closer if other sites have active voters, but at least we seem to have enough inertia at the moment not to slip back to page four and off the charts by the end of the month.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Liza, please don't do that. Each and every vote is a positive vote and improves the site's overall count from one to five points. Voting a one for a site ahead of eGullet.com and a five for us, reduces out vote to a relative four. But you can vote for Rosie's site in good conscience. ;)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

We could never condone sabotage of other, equally worthy foodie sites. Besides, we only need 10 measly votes to make the next jump up and "simply cooking" will be simply 71.

BTW - I have heard that authors get obssessed by their ratings on Amazon, and check them regularly. I understand why now.