• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Richmond

poohg628

Check out Northern Chinese Delicacy in (of all places) the Aberdeen Mall. Excellent quality and a wonderful variety of everything from savory dim sum dumplings to shreeded eel with green onion. If you go, do try the house special - Tea Smoked Duck. And, if you're feeling particularly courageous, try the braised pork belly.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

^That's where I've been getting a lot of take-out lunches from lately. Good stuff, reasonably priced.

I'm going to Empire Seafood with my family tonight (in the old Fishermen's Terrace spot by London Drugs on No. 3 Rd.) My parents like to have dim sum there, but we haven't had dinner there yet. I'll report back on the abalone/shark fin fest in the Chinese in Vancouver thread. (I apologize in advance--there won't be any pictures because I can't find the battery charger for my digital camera.)

ETA: oops there will be some pictures after all...I thought digital cameras were recharged like cell phones so I've been running around looking for a charger, but my mom told me I just had to change the battery. :blush:

Edited by Ling (log)

Coincidentally, I just recently made a post on the "New Trends in Chinese cooking" thread (click to link) about a September dinner at Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant in Richmond.

As already noted by Ling, you'll find a storehouse of information in the Chinese in Vancouver thread.

Happy eating!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

WOW ! thanks so much for the suggestions...looks like i have a TON of stuff to wade thru. I will be moving in a few weeks... if anyone has a regular dining ritual in the richmond area i would love to hook up for a meal and get to know more about the tasty things avilable. send me an email or message.

I dont know a soul in vancouver...but as a writer i feel it helps to live and eat in different places so i like to move around alot.

Thanks again for your help and if you have anymore MUST TRY suggestions please tell me. thanks

Ann

• 1 year later...

I'm going to be in Vancouver this Sunday and would like to eat a Chinese meal while I'm there (or in Richmond, if that's the place to go) because I've heard that area has some of the best in the country. I'm up for either dim sum or dinner - mainly, I'd like to have something either much better or different than I can get in San Francisco. I grew up there and will be moving back in a few months, but I don't know when I'll be back to Vancouver.

For dim sum, I love dumplings - can't get enough - but I don't like those sweet pork buns. I'm not really a fan of anything predominantly sweet, but other than that, I'm open to pretty much anything.

I've read that Kirin is good for dim sum, but more expensive than most. And I've also heard Sun Sui Wah for dim sum. I don't have any ideas yet for dinner. I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone can give me and also tips for particular dishes.

Thanks!

If it is not in the link provided TOP GUN just of Garden City is some of the best I have had (discounts before 11). I have been to about a hundred+ places in Vancouver and Toronto and this is the best out there! Outstanding jook (would use the word congee but I refer to the dish in cantonese and not the Tamil origin form - I had never heard of congee except from Gui Lo's :-) like ME and only when I moved to Toronto).

officially left egullet....

There's also a brunch feature with dim sum recommendations by Lee Man (aka canucklehead here) in the April Vancouver magazine. I'd add a link but I can't access their site right now for some reason.

Cheers,

Anne

There's also a brunch feature with dim sum recommendations by Lee Man (aka canucklehead here) in the April Vancouver magazine. I'd add a link but I can't access their site right now for some reason.

Here yah go ...

Lee's Dim Sum rec's

I'd crawl through broken glass to get to one of Lee's rec's :laugh:

A.

Caitlin,

Kirin is a little more expensive, but you would still be hard pressed to spend more than 20 bucks. A recent expedition produced a bill for $80 dollars for six adults and one child.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

...I'd crawl through broken glass to get to one of Lee's rec's  :laugh:

A.

Interesting since I never really thought of Sun Sui Wah as a great place for dim sum. Dinner yes, but not a willing to crawl through glass fan of the dim sum there. Now the fresh King Crab when in season, I would crall through broken glass to eat that....sadly, the little critters do not make their way to Toronto that often.

officially left egullet....