• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cauliflower

sammy

Owen... Did you check your oven temperature? Also, I am hearing some variability in time and the type of pan. For instance, I was using clean heavy aluminum half sheets and it was 40 minutes at a verified 400F oven. Then I added that sheet of non-stick aluminum foil and I had to add 10 minutes but it cooked more evenly.

Yes - my range is new but I had already verified temperature accuracy with an oven thermometer. I used a somewhat heavy flat pan - thicker than a standard aluminum cookie sheet. I also used a roasting pan - it cooked far slower in there.

It seems to me that longer roasting is crucial for reaching the point at which it transforms. Up to a certain point, it still tastes like cooked cauliflower, albeit much tastier than boiled or steamed cauliflower (at least it tastes much better to me). That said... there is a certain point of golden brown at which it really takes on an entirely different flavor. Slicing the pieces thin seems to make this transformation easier but I still need to play with roasting times and temps more. My first batch started at a high temp, was lowered and was then raised back up to a midpoint. Took longer to cook than the second time I made it but was a bit tastier. I go very easy on the oil - perhaps a 1/4 cup at most for one head of cauliflower.

I tried this using the 'convection' feature of my oven last night and I was very pleased with the slightly more crispy and quicker results :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

That said... there is a certain point of golden brown at which it really takes on an entirely different flavor.

I think you have nailed it. I did a pan last night for a snack. I had a few pieces that I had sliced a little thicker and scooped off the other pieces and put the thick ones back in for about 10 minutes. I really think there is a taste shift and it seems to be confirmed if you go back and read the reactions here. Those that did not slice it thinly or left it in florets are going "what is the big deal, it is just good cauliflower". Then they get to the thin toasty variety and go... "wow".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I can't believe I ate the whole thing. I must admit that I have never liked cauliflower. When I saw this much space devoted to one recipe and its variants, I was convinced that I should forgo my usual skepticism. I made the standard version (from RecipeGullet) last nite. IT WAS ASTOUNDING!! :wub: The only change I made was I did it in a convection oven, that helped with the crispness. After dinner my wife said she was going to give my mom a call and let her know that after 56 years I was finally eating my veggies. Thanks again to all the egulleteers that widen our horizions.

PS now if you could only help my spelling.

I've been a Jim Dixon cauliflower convert for a while now..here's the original thread, which if I am not mistaken, was RC's first time on the egullet stage : http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...t=0entry16030

I tried it with the Chickpeas for lunch...just my humble opinion, but if you are making this as a side dish, the bean's texture kinda throws the dish off. Granted, the poached egg on top it might have finished it off nicely..but I'm going to keep my future cauliflower roastings PURE. :laugh:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I've been a Jim Dixon cauliflower convert for a while now..( here's the original thread, which if I am not mistaken, was RC's first time on the egullet stage :http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=3608&st=0entry16030)

I tried it with the Chickpeas for lunch...just my humble opinion, but if you are making this as a side dish, the beans texture kinda throws the dish off. Granted, the poached egg on top it might have finished it off nicely..but I'm going to keep my future cauliflower roastings PURE. :laugh:

Thanks for posting that thread's URL. It's like being able to go back and view the Magna Carta and see where it all began. :laugh:

I haven't tried the chickpea variation, yet. Thanks for posting your feedback on them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

ooh... was wondering WHAT topic would pull me into my very first virgin posting to egullet (ex-chowhounder here :wink: Would never have believed in a million years it would be about a simple cauliflower dish...

BUT, I have a very important question about the roasted cauliflower: Can I use frozen cauliflower somehow, please?

thanks guys for making my tastebuds salivate, and helping me out on tomorrow's nosh? Breakfast? Lunch? Snack? Dinner? All of the above?

Sara

Edited by Taster (log)

Welcome, Taster. Hope you post more often now that you have jumped in. The cauliflower is great roasted alone or with other ingredients, as others have discussed up-thread. I have used leftover warmed roasted cauliflower over a French omelet. Very nice.

Tonight I roasted half a large cauliflower (thinly sliced), rough chopped red onion and a dozen cloves of garlic. Served over pasta coated in EVOO, romano pecorino, s&p and topped with a little more cheese. With enough leftover for something tomorrow. Nice combination.

I have to say that I'm surprised the concept of roasted cauliflower is so new to so many people. How many things can you do to a cauliflower? Steam, boil, saute, roast. It's not a long list.

Or maybe cause I'm so lazy, my first inkling with any vegetable is to put olive oil on it and stick it in the oven.

i think that most people don't think of roasting veggies. and even less think to eat cauliflower in any form other than raw and on salads.

as we've all seen here on egullet, roasting turns even the nastiest and most boring of vegetables into something special.

• 1 month later...

I had bought the 6-pack of red/yellow/orange bell peppers at Costco and decided to experiment.

I thick sliced one orange bell pepper & a yellow bell pepper and mixed that into the cauliflower and roasted it in the normal manner. Man, did it look pretty! If only I'd used a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper I could have made it a tribute to Italy. :biggrin:

The pepper turned out soft (as roasted bell peppers are wont to be) but sweet. It was an interesting contrast to the cauliflower which still had just a little firmness to it.

Next time I will try adding some red onion to the mix.

[MARTHA]Roasted Cauliflower...it's a good thing.[/MARTHA]

Tim Oliver

Next time I will try adding some red onion to the mix.

The cauliflower/red onion combo is superb. You're going to love it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

wow... just wow

having read this thread and the recipe several times I finally made it tonight, just the basic recipe, it's amazing, and that's coming from someone who turned her mother's hair grey over my refusals to eat veg!

it got all brown and scrunchy round the edges, as with most foods the bcb (burned crispy bits) were the best!

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

wow... just wow

having read this thread and the recipe several times I finally made it tonight, just the basic recipe, it's amazing, and that's coming from someone who turned her mother's hair grey over my refusals to eat veg!

it got all brown and scrunchy round the edges, as with most foods the bcb (burned crispy bits) were the best!

binkyboots,

Welcome to the Addicted-to-Roasted-Cauliflower-Club!

It's sublime, isn't it?

The last batch I made I actually used two sheet pans to try and maximize the brown bits (overcrowded=less brown bits). It worked well, for the most part.

Let us know if you try any of the variations.

Tim Oliver

I haven't been on this thread in a long time, but needed to add that my 16 year-old hates vegetables in any form son has recently put roasted cauliflower on his things he eats lots of list.

It has replaced french fries as his typical side dish. Usually a head just for him.

He's a growing boy. :raz:

The last batch I made I actually used two sheet pans to try and maximize the brown bits (overcrowded=less brown bits). It worked well, for the most part.

Everyone I've made this for has been amazed and enthused, excepting one friend who ate a few bites and then refused to have more, as soon as he found out what it was (it's all a mental thing - very fussy eater).

I've been using two sheet pans for one head. The smaller crumbly parts get browned faster, as do the more thinly sliced pieces. At some point during the turning and checking, I slip all the bigger not yet brown enough pieces onto one sheet and shovel all the browned but not yet blackened crumbs onto another. The small bits are at the perfect stage and just sit atop the stove waiting to be mixed back in with the others for serving. Even cauliflower wil char and blacken if cooked for too long - this separation process gets all the small bits and larger pieces to about the same stage of golden brown.

Mmmmmm.... I believe I'll roast another head tonight.

Ahem. Some people like it charred and blackened.

But actually, I think I will steal the two-pans idea. Would you like a new nick? We could call you Owen Two-Pans. It could be your Mob Name.

Hurumph. I've been using two pans for ages.

Actually, recently I was roasting a bunch of meats in the oven at 300 (convection). I wanted to do some cauliflower too, so I just put it all on one pan (no room for two, I was doing chicken parts, a turkey breast* and a small beef roast, and although my Garland oven is big, it does have its limits). Checked/Turned/stirred every 15-20 mintues and it took about and hour and ten minutes to finish, but it was all golden, less dried/very brown bits. Took longer but the oven was on anyway and it was very very good.

* Turkey Breast and Roast Beef are for sandwiches, Jason hates deli turkey jello and overcooked deli roast beef.

And I thought 2 pans meant 2 heads. Silly me. You guys have taken this to a truly obssessive level. Bravo! A slight improvement on perfection.

:laugh:

We have war waging in my house. I like the cauliflower really nicely roasted so it's brown and the pieces have lost at their internal moisture. At this point, one person can eat an entire cauliflower head and still feel a bit peckish. Blovie, on the other hand, prefers his with a golden color and the pieces still have some heft. He wants to feel like he's eating more.

I've been making roasted cauliflower roughly once a week for the past 2 months and this subject comes up every time I serve it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I interviewed British chef Andrew Turner for eGullet recently. One of his "signature dishes" is the Vongerichten-influenced "Seared Celtic Scallop, Cauliflower and Courgette, Capers and White Sultanas". The cauliflower is broken into florets, thinly sliced, dusted with icing sugar and pan fried from raw. You can see the results on this thread.

I was making cauliflower, courgette and chorizo gratin for dinner last night. I poached the whole head of cauli for about 10 minutes until tender, then cut away the florets from the stem. Whilst sauteeing the courgettes for the gratin, this thread came to mind. I thinly sliced the stalk, which I would have usually tossed on the bin, and put the slices into the saute pan with the courgettes and cooked until brown on both sides, which took just a few minutes. I dried them on kitchen paper, salted them and the result were some very nice cauli-crisps.

The poaching/blanching of the whole head could be carried out before slicing and roasting as per the "original" recipe for a shorter cooking time in the oven, although it will probably yield a slightly different texture.