• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cauliflower

sammy

Ok so after reading 2 pages worth of posts on Cauliflower of all things, I decided to give it a go. How could this recipe possibly live up to all the hype?

Well it did! Even moreso. I can totally see how people would say it tastes like french fries. I, like many here, left it in 5-10 minutes longer to get a bit more browning, and it were those carmelized pieces that tasted like fries.

This base has such potential as others have already posted here. I can't wait to try some of the variations (as well as add my own).

Thanks again!

Msk

It's really Amanda Hesser you should thank.

Well, when Amanda starts posting on eGullet, I will thank her.

Until then, I will attribute this recipe to our own Jim Dixon who brought it to our attention and will heap on him all the kudos this excellent recipe deserves. :wink:

Amand Hesser's life-changing cauliflower article including the now-famous method for roasting that appeared in January, 2001. Regrettably, the Times is now charging for this.

It's really Amanda Hesser you should thank.

Well, when Amanda starts posting on eGullet, I will thank her.

Until then, I will attribute this recipe to our own Jim Dixon who brought it to our attention and will heap on him all the kudos this excellent recipe deserves. :wink:

Amand Hesser's life-changing cauliflower article including the now-famous method for roasting that appeared in January, 2001. Regrettably, the Times is now charging for this.

Toliver, thank you for putting this into words for me. I never read or heard of Amanda's article until Sandra brought it up ages ago. But, JD is the one who first mentioned it on eGullet and that's how I heard of it.

Oh, and Amanda does post on eGullet, she started with just her Q&A, but has posted in other areas as well.

Edit: Jim Dixon posted in this linked thread...

ps...glad you liked the cauliflower.... I can't really take much credit, since I think I first read about cooking it that way in the NYT.

• 3 weeks later...

CAULIFLOWER FLASH!!

Yes, I admit it. I'm ready to come out of the closet. I am a roasted cauliflower addict. I consume entire heads of the stuff in a single sitting and have started to scare my friends and family from talking so enthusiastically about a vegetable.

I had been growing wary though of the rising cost of cauliflower lately. I've seen the going rate as high as $4.50 a head for my fix. And is it my imagination or is the size of the vegetable actually getting smaller as the price gets higher?! :blink:

Anyway, have no fear my fellow NYC addicts. While strolling down Mott street in Chinatown today I discovered gigantic, pearly white and flawless cauliflowers on sale for a measely $1.50! I was going to pick a few up to take home but I was meeting some aquaintences later and didn't want to show up to a bar with armfuls of cauliflower. But rest assured...I will be back.

These are bigger, better, and cheaper than any in my hood and I wanted the other NYC addicts to be aware of this if they weren't already.

Enjoy!

~WBC

I am seeing the same phenomenon in Houston, where food is usually a little cheaper than the rest of the country. I have been paying around $2.49 - $2.89 for a head and they are smallish. I can eat one myself with no problem. Sliced without the core it easily fits on a half sheet.

I went to my favorite Asian market a couple of weeks ago and, amazingly, they didn't have any. As I was gawking around, I saw this Indian lady similarly gawking. I asked her if she knew where the cauliflower was. She said that she was looking for it also and was puzzled as to why they didn't have it.

Should we be alarmed? Has some pernicious blight attacked the cauliflower fields in this country? Is this some evil conspiracy? Get the populace addicted then destroy the source of all pleasure. BWAHAHAHAHA! :shock:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yup, I am completely hooked on roasted cauliflower. This stuff is amazing. And I would second the suggestion that it tastes like hash browns, rather than french fries. Which is good, cause I like french fries, but I purely love hash browns.

I had some tonight in a bowl, mixed with some caramelized onion, with a fried egg on top. This was fantastically delicious. For my next trick, I'm going to try pureeing the roasted cauli and turning it into a sort of faux potato cake.

I'm in love :wub:

Just go to RecipeGullet, the eGullet recipe archive -- there's a button to take you there at the top left hand side of your screen, just below the adverts, and search under "cauliflower". You'll find the recipe there. As this has become a well beloved item in the eG repertoire, you might also want to use the main eGullet search engine, which will take you to several threads discussing roasted cauliflower.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

While on the subject of Cauliflowers - try this stellar cold soup I had this at the Tetsuya Wakuda restaurant in Sydney. The simplicity of the recipe belies its complexity of flavour. It's based on one found in his excellent book "Tetsuya".

Cold Soup of Cauliflower with Caviar (if you're feeling rich)

1/2 Cauliflower portioned into small florets

1 Onion finely chopped

Grapeseed oil

750 ml of good quality Chicken stock

150 ml of pouring cream or milk

S+P

1 drop pouring cream, lightly whipped

4 teaspoons of caviar or avruga if times are hard

Sweat the onion in a little grapeseed oil, add stock and cauliflower florets.

Bring to the boil,reduce heat to low and cook until cauliflower just tender (5mins)

Pour into a bowl, chill and puree in a blender. Mix in the cream (or milk)

Serve in small bowls, topped with a little whipped cream and a dot of caviar.

Delicious and a nice change from all the roasted cauliflower we've all been having lately. :biggrin:

Edited by joesan (log)

haven't tried the recipe yet but am intrigued. could someone offer a little more detail on how to cut up the cauliflower before roasting? what so you do exactly? do you want small but chunky florettes or big but skinny segments? i imagine the latter because it would be crispier but am unsure. thanks.

haven't tried the recipe yet but am intrigued. could someone offer a little more detail on how to cut up the cauliflower before roasting? what so you do exactly? do you want small but chunky florettes or big but skinny segments? i imagine the latter because it would be crispier but am unsure. thanks.

Big fanned out skinny segments.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here is how I slice it...

I remove the florets from the core. Then I slice each floret longitudinally about 1/8 inch thick. You end up with lacy slices and little gibbles. I toss the whole mess in a bowl with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. The little gibbles get crispy as do the thinner lacy parts.

I have read here that you can slice the core as well. I intend to try that.

There is a picture somewhere of some of it on pasta.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As per my usual modus operandi for non-company dinners, I sliced them in a rather crude manner. I just cut off the stem, sliced the head in quarters, and then sliced each quarter thinly. The result is rather uneven, but quite servicable.

Because of eGullet, I bought my first cauliflower and roasted it yesterday. My husband tasted it, looked at me and said "french fries?". It didn't taste like anything but cauliflower. I cooked it at 400 for 40 minutes, but only the tiny pieces got crispy. Should I try it again with less oil (I used 1/4 cup) or just cook longer? I feel like I'm missing our here! :sad:

KathyM

Most probable problem is your oven temperature. Do you have an accurate thermometer inside the oven? Otherwise, don't be too particular about the time but just let it go until it looks like you want it. Recently, I sliced some a little thinner than usual and let it go a little longer than usual. I was after mostly crispies for use instead of croutons on salads. I haven't made the soup yet, but I would probably not go all the way to crispy for that. Also, tossing in a bowl with the oil ensures an even coating of the oil.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I first tried roasted cauliflower a few years ago in a mixed roast vegetable tray from a Jamie Oliver recipe that looked appealing on a Naked Chef episode. The tray of vegetables sits under a marinated leg of lamb that's roasted on a rack so the juices drip on the veg.

The tray roasted vegetable combo did not survive on the website (although the lamb did), but it was composed of potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic and chick peas, maybe even sweet potatoes, iirc. And seasoned with s&p, evoo, and sweet garam masala spices. Delicious. But the cauliflower and chick peas really stood out, so I have roasted those together with onions, sometimes squeezing lemon juice over at the end.

The lamb was interesting too. Very efficient in that the unusual marinade, which combined mashed chick peas, yogurt, and mint, had a reserved portion which was used as a sauce/dressing. This link contains the recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/nakedchef/recipe_wk4.shtml

March 2002, Fine Cooking magazine had a roast cauliflower article, including a cauli and frisse salad with a mustardy dressing, a roasted cauli soup and others.

Cauliflower soup is particularly fine with a few drops of white truffle oil.

Edited by nutcakes (log)

Since I loved the cauliflower roasted, thought I would try this recipe from Wegmans

Brussel Sprouts (go to the second recipe - Roasted Brussel Sprouts)

I also added a little freshly ground black pepper. I think I may like it even more than the cauliflower.

Wegmans had fresh brussel sprouts in stock the week the recipe came out, and have been well stocked since then. I love that store! :wub:

The tray roasted vegetable combo did not survive on the website (although the lamb did), but it was composed of potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic and chick peas, maybe even sweet potatoes, iirc. And seasoned with s&p, evoo, and sweet garam masala spices. Delicious. But the cauliflower and chick peas really stood out, so I have roasted those together with onions, sometimes squeezing lemon juice over at the end.

I smell a gratin coming on. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"